Auto-Format Options

Jgcovalt

Idea

I've put off updating to the new Evernote versions for years now, entirely because there was no option to remove the auto-formatting in notes. Since I started getting notifications constantly that the old version is out of support now, I tried installing it again just to test if this was fixed, only to find it is not.

Please tell me that there's at least a road map to allowing users to turn off auto-formatting. I don't want Evernote setting the numbering format for me, etc. when I'm creating notes; if I wanted that, I'd use the option for a numbered list, and while I love Evernote (I"ve been using it for over 10 years now), the inability to disable that functionality is really bad. 

I know that I can use Ctrl+Z to get rid of the auto-formatting, but I shouldn't have to constantly do that, especially given that the legacy version did have the ability to turn this off. It feels like a step backwards, honestly.

• Like 1

9 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

We're almost all fellow users so we can't tell what the plans are. But I would guess that there is no plan to do what you suggest.

Open a support ticket or use the in-application Feedback to connect with Evernote developers.

Unless I'm just completely missing something, there is no in-application feedback option. All the help menu items lead, eventually, back to this forum or to just opening a support ticket. Perhaps you can provide more information about how to provide feedback directly?

• Level 5

You are right, just checked: The option is not there any longer, it seems it was removed with one of the last updates, both from the desktop and mobile clients. Maybe somebody decided to join communications channels, making support the way to communicate.

No insight into this, so thanks for pointing it out.

If you want to dig deeper, ask support.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

You are right, just checked: The option is not there any longer, it seems it was removed with one of the last updates, both from the desktop and mobile clients. Maybe somebody decided to join communications channels, making support the way to communicate.

Now that's a positive way to think about it! More likely though, it was just a black hole and nobody was looking at those things anyway -- or the person that was looking at them was let go with the 50% staff reduction. =|

• Level 5

The person responsible for the department in fact was given the boot when staff was reduced - and from what was told on LI, the whole department went with him. I was sorry for this, professionally and personally. I think they did a pretty good job in rolling out v10, starting with a core product and enriching it with features step by step.

But probably nobody was left to keep an eye on the Inbox, it seems.

On 5/4/2023 at 9:03 AM, Jgcovalt said:

I know that I can use Ctrl+Z to get rid of the auto-formatting, but I shouldn't have to constantly do that, especially given that the legacy version did have the ability to turn this off. It feels like a step backwards, honestly.

Yes -- honestly -- I think it was a (small) step backwards too. There are a lot of steps backwards like this from legacy to v10. Some of the things that I miss are being able to change the modify date of a note and multiple tabs and multiple *main* windows on (Mac) Desktop.

But there are way more steps forward than backwards in my opinion. It did take a bit to get used to some of the differences, but I hardly think any more about the things I'm missing from legacy because I've solely been using v10 for a couple of years.

Btw - submitting a ticket to support has never yielded much, if any, fruit for feature enhancement requests like this from what I've seen and heard. I think you get what you get. It's more about us adapting to the product than the product adapting to us. 

In this forum you can get nice tips and tricks for ways to work within the Evernote bounds. Some kick against those bounds. I thinks it just easier to work within those bounds or find a different tool that better suits you.

• Like 1
On 5/4/2023 at 4:03 PM, Jgcovalt said:

I don't want Evernote setting the numbering format for me, etc. when I'm creating notes

I'm not going to comment on the rights or wrongs of whether there should be the ability to turn of auto formatting. However, it's worth noting, that in this specific case, EN will only format numbers if they are followed by a period or a right bracket and then a space. Therefore as an altenative to ctrl+Z you could just put a space, hyphen, colon or any of multiple other characters after the number - or even a period and no space. I know it's not ideal, but even if EN decided to change it today (unlikely) it would be many months before we got to see the change and it's nice to know the different options available now.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, Jgcovalt said:

Unless I'm just completely missing something, there is no in-application feedback option. All the help menu items lead, eventually, back to this forum or to just opening a support ticket. Perhaps you can provide more information about how to provide feedback directly?

I'm away from home so don't have my laptop. When I left I was still on v10.55 of the Windows desktop. That still had a Submit Feedback option in the Help menu. If it has gone then it will be with v10.56 which hasn't arrived when I left.

Similarly 10.50.3 for Android still had a Feedback option.