Best Notebook for Uploading to Evernote

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Greetings, 

Although, I use Evernote as my primary platform for everything I do have the need to attend meetings with a regular notebook. Uploading my notes to Evernote does not upload as searchable text, etc. in some instances.

Previously, I was using the Moleskine Evernote smart notebooks, which worked pretty good.  However, they are now getting harder and harder to find.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to what regular notebooks best for this Use Case.

Any feedback is appreciated.

• Evernote Expert

I use a Rocketbook.  This works quite well. Certainly better than the Moleskin notebooks.  If you want a notebook to capture and scan pages into Evernote then almost anything will do.

The Rocketbooks generate a text copy as well as an image of the note. Once scanned you can wipe the pages clean and reuse them.

• Like 4
  • Level 5

Personally  I regard the rocketbook as a piece of overpriced hardware for the one purpose it serves.

For me an iPad is the much better platform: Versatile, lots of good apps, and I need to carry just one device to cover it all. It even replaces a laptop on many tasks, and is an excellent foto and video editing platform.

About handwriting apps: Noteshelf will sync directly into an EN account. I prefer GoodNotes, just need to export my notes from time to time as a searchable pdf into EN.

• Like 2

PinkElephant, Thank you for the feeedback. I have an iPad and have been trying to take notes directly in Evernote from it. There is just something about writing on paper that is hard to break for me. 

• Level 5

Then you can use any paper based notebook, and take picture from the pages.

Just when taking pictures of the pages you want to save, make sure you save them as picture files: JPG, PNG or GIF.

EN will only OCR handwriting in these formats. Handwriting in a PDF will NOT be OCRed, so it doesn't become searchable.

• Level 5

From the app it will usually save as PNG. I think this is OK, PNG is better for pictures of text, both handwriting and typed. JPG tends to create compression artefacts at the outline between dark and white, making the border fuzzy.

Both PNG and JPG will be OCRed.

• Level 5
  • Solution

Is there text in the picture, that EN could recognize ?

This are the criteria:

image.png.39f51436803cf950626a6b9bdfe6cc7b.png

Picture OCR is a server function. The pictures are processed in a queue. After uploading it can take a while until it is done, and the results are saved in the search index. I would say wait a day after the upload, and then try again. There is no switch to toggle this feature, and it is even enabled on Free accounts. Only OCR of PDFs is a subscribers feature.

On 5/1/2023 at 1:49 PM, agsteele said:

I use a Rocketbook.  This works quite well. Certainly better than the Moleskin notebooks.  If you want a notebook to capture and scan pages into Evernote then almost anything will do.

The Rocketbooks generate a text copy as well as an image of the note. Once scanned you can wipe the pages clean and reuse them.

It appears to be a simple app yet I can’t figure out what is happening to the send to destination link; mine is greyed out and, therefore nothing happens when I try to click it. 🤬

Is that only for a paid version?

• Evernote Expert

You'll need to speak to Rocketbook support. They have downloadable sheets to work with. You need the pages with the relevant QR codes on to scan into an application.

But there's is no paid for account. Just paid for notebooks.

• Like 2