New notes appear as Numbers & symbols

Good day All,

I got an issue recently after updating the app to the latest one. The text in my new notes appear as numbers with symbols. Kindly find an example below:

باقي 250+

كليو

&# صدا غيض &#

This problem appeared with recent/new notes that created after updating the app. However, the old notes appear normal with no issues.

Note: I noticed that the recent/new notes appears normal in the notes list, but when I clicked on it, it shows as number & symbols as stated above.

I have attached some screenshots about the issue with COMMENTS for better understanding. 

Kindly advise in this matter ASAP or consider to fix this annoying bug in the upcoming updates. 

Screenshot_20230427-040019_Evernote_1.jpg

Screenshot_20230427-040043_Evernote_1.jpg

InShot_20230427_041412934.jpg

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

We are seeing this issue reported multiple times. This appears to be a new bug in the editor which isn't rendering languages that don't use conventional English characters.

Please report this as an issue via a support ticket.

7 hours ago, agsteele said:

We are seeing this issue reported multiple times. This appears to be a new bug in the editor which isn't rendering languages that don't use conventional English characters.

Please report this as an issue via a support ticket.

Thank you for your an informative response. would you please share the link of support center ?

• Level 5

This is the link to support: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. These forums consist of other users, who unfortunately cannot do anything about bugs. This is quite a drastic bug, and several people are reporting it here. Hopefully they, and others who are reporting it directly to Evernote support without coming here, will get the attention of the developers to fix it.

• Thanks 1

Just to update, I have received the latest update in Play store. However, the issue still existing.

I hope the technical team consider this bug soon. Otherwise,  I'll cancel my premium account and find alternative apps.

• Level 5

Tickets are closed when the ticket is processed. In this case support likely told you „we know, and we are on it already“. There is not much more to tell until a fix is rolling out.

Some companies notify ticket holders about a fix on release, EN doesn’t. So check the release notes.

• Level 5
10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Some companies notify ticket holders about a fix on release, EN doesn’t. So check the release notes.

... which are likely to say nothing more than "Miscellaneous bug fixes." This is such a disastrous bug, whatever the cause may be, that one must hope they are putting it on the fast track; but there's no way of knowing, other than starting another support ticket, which will really only slow them down.

• Level 5

Personally I wouldn't call it disastrous.

There is no loss of data, only the display is weird. Once the bug is fixed, the data will show as expected.

Second it seems it is related to using the widget, and maybe other ways of quickly taking a note. It will hardly be long notes written down this way, and by using a regular new note the bug seemingly can be avoided.

From feedback I got I know they fast tracked it - let's see what this means.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I guess I'd say that, by making existing notes unusable, it at least has the potential for disaster. Even a short note created quickly can be crucial. I've seen reports of problems with both Arabic and Russian, and it makes me wonder what other non-Roman alphabets are affected.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Yes, from the feedback from support the problem occurs if a widget or quicknote is used. It doesn’t occur in notes that were created regularly - that’s at least what support tells about their research into the subject. 

So currently it should be ok if the widget or quicknote is not used to create notes, with non-Latin characters.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Yes, from the feedback from support the problem occurs if a widget or quicknote is used. It doesn’t occur in notes that were created regularly - that’s at least what support tells about their research into the subject. 

So currently it should be ok if the widget or quicknote is not used to create notes, with non-Latin characters.

But the quicknote feature is very important to me and others. I hope they consider that and fix this bug soon.

• Level 5

I can now report some data of my own. To test, I just created two quick notes on my Android phone, one in Greek and one in Hebrew. In both of them, the language appears properly in the title and in the snippet, but not in the body of the note in the note window. I also tried a note mixing English, Hebrew, and Greek, and found that the English is displayed properly, but not the other two. That is true in the Android app, the Windows app, and the Web client. I know that I have the new syncing structure in my notes, so it is not a matter of conversion from the old one. I join you in hoping for a quick fix!

• Like 1

Hi, seem to be any language with characters other than regular English.

Tried on android and when writing in Swedish åäö appears as numbers as well. 

Please fix as the app is way to slow to open to try and create a new note when wanting to write something down quickly. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
16 hours ago, Unic0arn said:

Hi, seem to be any language with characters other than regular English.

Tried on android and when writing in Swedish åäö appears as numbers as well. 

Please fix as the app is way to slow to open to try and create a new note when wanting to write something down quickly. 

Welcome to the forums. These are user-to-user, so we here cannot fix it. Believe me, we wish we could. Please contact Evernote support--they need to keep hearing this: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

I have the same issue. However it's only happening when adding notes as "blank note" (i think it's called in english?), a feature that I fortunately use very seldom.

image.thumb.png.30c1df0302a19bf05041fad4fdf79abd.png

• Sad 1
On 5/10/2023 at 12:16 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I can now report some data of my own. To test, I just created two quick notes on my Android phone, one in Greek and one in Hebrew. In both of them, the language appears properly in the title and in the snippet, but not in the body of the note in the note window. I also tried a note mixing English, Hebrew, and Greek, and found that the English is displayed properly, but not the other two. That is true in the Android app, the Windows app, and the Web client. I know that I have the new syncing structure in my notes, so it is not a matter of conversion from the old one. I join you in hoping for a quick fix!

Same.

I have posted this observation in my current ticket in order to bring the attention of technical team

The same problem occurs in Polish locale of Evernote quick notes created via offical Evernote widget - it desn't save properly non-English chars, see what was entered and what is saved in Evernote.

Note: creation of new note inside Evernote works. Only notes created via offical Evernote build-in widget of QuickNote are broken.

Screenshot_2023-05-15-18-31-05-13_8ccd364c752df521fe39ba6a80db379d.jpg

Screenshot_2023-05-15-18-31-49-68_8ccd364c752df521fe39ba6a80db379d.jpg

Edited by Piotas
creation of notes inside app works, only widget creation of quick note is broken