PDF export formatting failure

• Level 5

Interesting - I assume you mean the Windows desktop client ?!

Just tried to replicate it on my Mac, latest MacOS Ventura, EN 10.55. It didn't show - everything went just OK.

One file was exported as pdf, the second opened in the print dialogue, but from there saved as pdf, the 3rd (showing as PNG) was really printed on paper, and then scanned.

Remark: What is interesting is that the pdf exported by EN has more than 10 times the size of the one created by the Mac's print dialogue. This shows that both documents were not simply run through the same engine - each path is different, even when you can't tell the results from one another.

If you are on Windows, maybe it is something quite specific to this platform, or even your personal install.

Fonttest - PDF Export.pdfFonttest - Print Export.pdfimage.thumb.png.7ad4759a9d72085aee14c7148e29855e.png

1 hour ago, janndk said:

It's very strange. I think it started after the last EN update.

When printing, or printing as pdf, everything is fine.

When exporting as pdf, all text is getting bold.

Just did a test export to PDF only text that was in bold was what was bold in the original worked perfectly EN ver 10.55.2.

Yes, EN Windows 10.55.2.

And yes, pdf-files exported from EN are usually huge in file size  compared to "printed" pdf files. Especially if there are pictures.

The formatting problem seems to affect only some of ENs font types: standard (sans serif) and handscript.

en-test-note.png

en-test-pdf.png

• Level 5

Just as an hypothesis: It is known that if a font is not installed on the mother system, it will be replaced by a similar looking, but different installed font. If by accident this font only exists as „bold“ cut (font version), it can’t avoid to convert everything into bold typeface.

Which font is shown in the pdf when you select a portion of text ? Not sure if Adobe Acrobat Reader will show such a detail.

36 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Just as an hypothesis: It is known that if a font is not installed on the mother system, it will be replaced by a similar looking, but different installed font. If by accident this font only exists as „bold“ cut (font version), it can’t avoid to convert everything into bold typeface.

Which font is shown in the pdf when you select a portion of text ? Not sure if Adobe Acrobat Reader will show such a detail.

In earlier created pdfs the font is "Sans Pro" (and they are still displaying ok) , but now Evernote seems to export pdfs with "Sans Pro SemiBold".

• Level 5

OK, sort of confirms to me that the problem is in the conversion of the „internal“ font to the „printed“ font.

Sorry I can’t go any further on this. I am on a Mac, where somehow this eternal Windows struggle that displayed ≠ printed does simply not exist. And I have given up to understand the twists of the Windows registry - too much life time already wasted there.

If somebody more familiar with Windows won’t kick in, I think asking support is your next best step.

9 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

OK, sort of confirms to me that the problem is in the conversion of the „internal“ font to the „printed“ font.

Sorry I can’t go any further on this. I am on a Mac, where somehow this eternal Windows struggle that displayed ≠ printed does simply not exist. And I have given up to understand the twists of the Windows registry - too much life time already wasted there.

If somebody more familiar with Windows won’t kick in, I think asking support is your next best step.

Thanks for your effort.

I have already contacted support - let's see how it goes.

• Like 1