Data in Encrypted Note still shows up in Card or Snippet View

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

I had a note that somehow became unencryptd. I re-encrypted the note, but the initial data still shows up in the card or snippet view of notes in my notebook. Can't figure out how to keep that from happning. Any ideas welcome.

Also, there used to be a way to provide feedback directly to the Evernote team, but that seems to have disappeared. Do they not want our input?

• Level 5

I don't have any experience with encryption, but I do know that it can take awhile for what shows up in a snippet to be updated to the current state of the note. In this case, though, it might be safest to copy the (unencrypted) data to a new note and encrypt it there, then delete the problematic note and then delete it from the trash.

What Evernote client are you using? There is still a feedback option in the Web client (click on your account name at top left), but not in the Windows desktop app. Support is at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new, for paid subscribers.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
  • Solution

I think Evernote's 'encryption' is... sub-optimal... if you're looking to ensure security.  If you create a note and then encrypt,  the original content still exists in Note History.  If you decrypt to edit,  and the note syncs meantime... I don't know.  But Encryption is only available for text anyway,  so lists,  images,  style of any kind will cause problems.  I do have some encrypted notes in my account,  but they're actually normal notes with encrypted PDF attachments which I create and edit outside Evernote so the content is purely mine... <Gollum voice> My precious...

Sorry.  Anyway - a lot of apps allow encryption if and when necessary,  so I'd say attachments is the way to go if you need to be confident.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

If you create a note and then encrypt,  the original content still exists in Note History.  If you decrypt to edit,  and the note syncs meantime...

I like to just create some text like "asdf" and then encrypt that. Then I can reveal the "asdf" encrypted text leaving it in the "encrypted block" and can edit that. As long as I never "Decrypt permanently..." and just "Reveal encrypted content..." and edit from inside that box, the text is never saved decrypted in a note history snapshot.

image.png.d9936aa7374185ecd05c1bd325ff8665.png

image.png.6668f8313927385fcb8c5d79119ce0bf.png

You have to be cautious about this though as I suppose things could just bug out. So the safest/best way is an encrypted attachment like what has been said and what I also do as well in addition to using encrypted text here and there.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...