sharing notebooks with non-paying users

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

Can I share notebooks (and notes) with non-paying users?

Also, how safe is my content when doing that? Presumably, I have the option to give or withhold editing ability from the people I share with?

Many thanks!

• Solution
17 minutes ago, guycruls said:

Can I share notebooks (and notes) with non-paying users?

Yes

17 minutes ago, guycruls said:

I have the option to give or withhold editing ability from the people I share with?

When you share a notebook you have three choices of the level of control you want to give the user.

image.png.74dbbd456285e52d81f2fd815c8c0738.png

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

It's also possible to generate a "shareable link" which is something in the format https://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/e701580f-ffc5-... when you also have the option to flag it at various levels.  In this case anyone with the link can view the content,  so anyone who has gotten to that page could theoretically invite hundreds of others simply by emailing it out.  However the content of the page is not searchable from outside of the app so it's not a exactly a public page,  just one that needs a distribution list.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Kimberly Purcell said:

It basically creates a static webpage when you do that. If you update the page later, they will not see the changes. 

Hmmn.  I did not know that - just tried to check,  but generating any sort of a 'share' from this device (Dell, Windows 11, EN10) just gets me a link that opens a Log-in window immediately.  Either something broke or I'm not doing it right - no time to check now though;  maybe more later...  Meantime this reminded me of the First Rule of Sharing - make sure test it out on yourself first to avoid embarrassment!

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  I did not know that - just tried to check,  but generating any sort of a 'share' from this device (Dell, Windows 11, EN10) just gets me a link that opens a Log-in window immediately.  Either something broke or I'm not doing it right - no time to check now though;  maybe more later...  Meantime this reminded me of the First Rule of Sharing - make sure test it out on yourself first to avoid embarrassment!

Somethings not right. I'm getting a "failed to generate shareable link" message in red. There has been some chatter with regards to links not working. See for example:

I have now generated a shareable link from the web version. Updating the original note does lead to a change in the shared note as accessed through the shared link, although it does take a few minutes for the page to update. Perhaps this is a new feature. I wonder if  @Kimberly Purcell could comment as to why she believes it is a static capture of the note at the time the shared link is generated.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mike P said:

I have now generated a shareable link from the web version. Updating the original note does lead to a change in the shared note as accessed through the shared link, although it does take a few minutes for the page to update. Perhaps this is a new feature. I wonder if  @Kimberly Purcell could comment as to why she believes it is a static capture of the note at the time the shared link is generated.

That’s always how it has been in the past. I will do some more testing if you are indeed saying that it will update.

• Thanks 1

That public link always leads to the actual content of the note which is on the server. All the years using EN it has never been a static copy in my use cases. So you can actually use a public link for dynamically updated content in your note which is a great feature of EN I think. Use it a lot for blogging like activities with the family or friends on vacation for example. Constant updates but keeping the same shared link 👍🏻

• Like 5

I keep trying to share a shopping list with my husband. I'm have a paid Personal plan and he has a free plan. I want him to be able to add content to the list, not a static note. He gets the email saying a note was shared, but it doesn't show up in his "Shared with Me" section. I tried the reverse with him sharing a note with me and the same thing happened. On his account I can see notes that we shared many years ago, but not this note. Any thoughts?

I've recently returned to using primarily Evernote after trying other apps for tasks, etc. I'm having a few areas for what seem like glitches to me. Is there something going on recently with updates?

On 3/19/2023 at 4:18 AM, lkodman said:

I keep trying to share a shopping list with my husband

Hi for this particular use case (simple list, seamless "real time" syncing without user interaction) I would suggest trying apps with a robust background syncing engine.

I am having very good results for your scenario with TickTick. Other nice apps would be Microsoft ToDo or Todoist.

(Evernote 10 still has no background syncing nor real time collaboration - so even if you get the sharing to work you will likely end up with duplicates or an outdated shopping list when in grocery store).

• 1 month later...