Constantly need to "Add Helper"

It seems that almost every day I get this stupid pop-up on my Macbook and Macmini (Desktop) telling me that I need to enter my password for my computer so that Evernote can do an update and "Add Helper".  I have attached a screenshot of what I get.  Why do I have to keep Adding the helper?  This is really annoying.

MacBookPro Shots 2023-02-23 at 8.53.11 AM.jpg

• Evernote Expert

In Evernote v10 the Helper is installed alongside the main application.  If you are being invited to install the helper on its own then you may be best uninstalling Evernote and then downloading the application from evernote.com and reinstalling which should fix the problem.

As @lost_gweedo notes, the helper changed between the older v7 of Evernote for MacOS and the current release.  But I think my advice would be the same except that if you wish to remain with the older software you will have to download what is now called Legacy (search for download old version of evernote).

If you go the Legacy route remember that it is an unsupported software and from time to time issues arise that make it less relaible.  I believe that user of MacOS Ventura are experiencing issues with the Legacy software which will not be repaired.

• Level 5

If I go to the activity monitor on my Mac, I find a number of processes running called "Evernote Helper". AFAIK they have nothing to do with the little EN Helper menu bar function - they are somehow part of the main app.

The message you get indicates that something is amiss with your installation. I think it tries to heal this be asking to install something in addition. I would completely purge the actual installation from my Mac, using the app AppCleaner from the internet. Then restart the Mac, and reinstall the EN app.

image.thumb.png.141a825c300b202cf3db35c128e2b776.png

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i understand that you are repeating the advice from a year ago--but as i mention, i did uninstall and reinstall, with this result.  any further advice appreciated.

• Level 5

When you uninstalled, did you use the regular MacOS uninstall process ?

Because this will often not do the job.

Get the app AppCleaner and run it to remove all traces of the prior EN install. After removing all, restart the Mac, and install again.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, yes, but i have now uninstalled using the appcleaner, and reinstalled.  same problem!  3 or 4 times a day i receive the same pop-up message.  Argh!

"an update is ready to install. Evernote is trying to add a new helper tool."

• Level 5

Don’t see any of this, on 3 Macs. When the install with admin rights has worked, but pops up again, something is amiss.

On which MacOS version are you running ? Do you use any security software ?

on ventura 13.6.5 but i''ll update and see if that helps.  i do have something called "crashplan" installed by the IT guys at my university.  i'll ask them what all else may be on to allow remote updates, etc.

• Level 5

It sounds your Mac is under MDM, that is the device management of your university. It is very likely the problems are related to this status - the MDM controls what can be installed, and with which authorizations. It can block the complete install of EN, leading to that repetitive message.

If this is the problem, it can only be solved by the IT of your university unlocking the install. Or use the web client, that doesn’t need to be installed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I too have this problem. The Helper installation pop-up comes onto my screen not four or five times per day but 20 to 30.  Have uninstalled the software using AppCleaner, downloaded the App from Evernote and then reinstalled. Same problem. Someone at Evernote has GOT to fix this. Will have to get rid of the software and find some other if it can't be addressed.

• Level 5

You have a bad install, or a security software (maybe your firewall) is blocking part of the installer.

Make a full uninstall using AppCleaner. Restart the Mac, then install fresh from the EN website. Observe if the installation takes a wrong turn at some point.

If everything has worked, leave the client run in the background for quite a while. It will download content from the server while idling.