Ability to change date on the "updated" version of the note

D-B-W

Idea

With the current version of Evernote we can alter the created date in the Note info section but we can't alter the updated version like was available in the Legacy version of Evernote. As this feature is already implemented for one date why not have it working for both dates. 
For me it is very important to not have the note move to the top of all other notes if I make a change to it I would rather keep it to the created date which would mean altering the updated date. image.thumb.jpeg.953b2afc9f6de325b30e1ee9d34f284d.jpeg

• Like 4

10 replies to this idea

On 2/1/2023 at 2:08 AM, Mike P said:

I think it would be sensible to be able to change the updated date but in your case why don't you just sort by created date?

It's not the same thing. If you always sort all your notes by Updated date, you have your most recent and most frequently used notes at hand. And if you modify an old note and don't want it to show up at the top, you can (or could, rather, in Legacy) edit the Updated date to whatever date you wanted, but most logically it's original date. (It's a lot like a real-world pile of papers with your most recent notes on top. And if you pull an old page out and scribble a note on it, you can either place it on the top of the pile—the default action—or stuff it back where it was when you found it. It's a very natural way to work with information...for me.)

If you only have the option of sorting by Created date, then your most frequently used notes (of any age) do not stay near the top, and it's a serious hassle to keep updating the Created date for those notes over and over again. So it's not really a solution for those of us who have been sorting by Updated date for all these years.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, D-B-W said:

For me it is very important to not have the note move to the top of all other notes if I make a change to it I would rather keep it to the created date which would mean altering the updated date. 

I think it would be sensible to be able to change the updated date but in your case why don't you just sort by created date?

11 minutes ago, boneycur said:

It's not the same thing.

I think @MikeP already knows that, that's why he said "but in your case", as the case that OP specified makes it sound like for whatever they are doing would also work to sort by created date. "if I make a change to it I would rather keep it to the created date" -- it sounds like OP *always* wants the updated date to match the created date. Maybe that's not what they meant though, but it's what it sounded like to me.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, boneycur said:

It's not the same thing.

As @Boot17has already pointed out, I am well aware that it is not the same thing which is why I preceeded my comment by saying it would be sensible to be able to change it. My comments were specifically directed at the OP's use case.

• Like 1

I too really miss this functionality.  Especially because sometimes I want to bring old information into my Evernote database.  I'd like to be able to date that old information correctly...but without being able to update the "modified" date then it will make it look like it is a recent note...but it's not.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, GaryDBJr said:

I too really miss this functionality.  Especially because sometimes I want to bring old information into my Evernote database.  I'd like to be able to date that old information correctly...but without being able to update the "modified" date then it will make it look like it is a recent note...but it's not.

As I've said before I would also like this to happen.

If you don't do this very often (it could become very tedious if you do it alot)  there is a hack. When an enex file is imported, EN respects both the updated and created date of the enex file. The process would then be:

• Create your new note
  • export it as an enex file
  • Manually edit the updated date in a text editor
  • Reimport the enex file

It may well be that you could export several notes together, and provided you change each date, it should import as required.

Editing the date is very easy

image.png.6fef7b7b0fd0fafd6b5b04c4db0db6a1.png

You will need to be careful how you import the enex file. If it doesn't go directly in to the final destination folder the updated date will change when you move it (lots of posts elesewhere about whether this is a good or bad idea).. I outlined the different methods of importing enex files here:

To reiterate, I am not suggesting this as a long term solution. Early versions of V10 did not even allow you to change the creation date. EN then introduced it, either because it was always on their long term plan, or because of customer feedback - we will never know. So do use the feedback system to explain to EN directly why you want the ability to change the updated date. Your explanation of your use case outlined here is compelling, and you need to make sure EN hear it.

• Like 4
  • Level 5

It will never be introduced, no matter if and for how long you wait. The update field is under system control, and is updated by the clients only. You could type something there (you can’t because the field is locked), and it would be overwritten just by closing the note after you did.

On 9/29/2023 at 3:46 PM, PinkElephant said:

It will never be introduced, no matter if and for how long you wait. The update field is under system control, and is updated by the clients only. You could type something there (you can’t because the field is locked), and it would be overwritten just by closing the note after you did.

Never introduced?  It was introduced and functional in the original client and was then removed in the new client.

• Like 1