Missing ability to remove and add code boxes?

AntDX316

Idea

12 replies to this idea

You can also use this key combination to cut, create an empty code block and paste: 'Ctrl-X, ```, space, Ctrl-V'. It's more steps than the insert menu, but it keeps your fingers on the keyboard if you are more of a keyboard shortcut person than a mouse person.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Boot17 said:

You can also use this key combination to cut, create an empty code block and paste: 'Ctrl-X, ```, space, Ctrl-V'. It's more steps than the insert menu, but it keeps your fingers on the keyboard if you are more of a keyboard shortcut person than a mouse person.

That got me thinking. Another alternative is:

• Highlight the text (if you are already at the beginning ctrl+shift+End or if you are at the end ctrl+shift+Home)
  • Then use the keyboard shortcut for insert code block (Ctrl+shift+L) rather than the blue + menu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, AntDX316 said:

You should be able to hover over the code block in the blue plus sign and it should show you shortcuts than it being an easter egg that some people may never know in their entire lifetime.

I agree - it's very common practice and I an surprised that EN haven't adopted it. The complete list of keyboard shortcuts is available through various routes, the easiest of which is ctrl+/

10 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I agree - it's very common practice and I an surprised that EN haven't adopted it. The complete list of keyboard shortcuts is available through various routes, the easiest of which is ctrl+/

yeah

• Level 5

One can argue if this is a good idea.

We have a tendency to super-nanny users. It leads to cluttering the UI - keyboard advise all over, even if many users don’t use the shortcuts and may feel irritated from the popups.

I think one can expect a user who wants a shortcut for a certain function to look it up. The shortcuts help is only one click away, and has a good search.

Train your muscle memory, then you don’t need to be nannied around.