Evernote for Windows 10.50.10 feedback

New update today - Evernote 10.50.10-win-ddl-public (3842) - seems to have same bugs as 10.50.9 😒

- can only choose 50 notes 😕
- pdf export (notes with this new "preview of the note's contents") broken 😕
- missing thumbnails 😕

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, janndk said:

New update today - Evernote 10.50.10-win-ddl-public (3842) - seems to have same bugs as 10.50.9 😒

- missing thumbnails 😕

3 hours ago, janndk said:

...and HTML export (notes with this new "preview of the note's contents") broken too 😒

I just updated to v. 10.50.10 (from 10.49.4). I find that

• I can select up to 100 notes
  • Exporting a note that has links formatted as previews to PDF does not display the previews (I'm not sure we were promised this)
  • Thumbnails are present in Cards and Snippets view (was this what you meant?)
  • Didn't try HTML export, but assume same as PDF

So I'm not seeing any bugs, though something that would be desirable doesn't happen. But I never had 10.50.9 for comparison. Esp. the inability to select >50 and the missing thumbnails might be a candidate for at least restarting the computer (if you haven't yet), and maybe a full uninstall and reinstall, in case flakes of 10.49 are still jamming the gears of 10.50.

4 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

...I'm not sure we were promised this

Of course PDF export needs to work. I'm paying "Professional" subscription just because of that function!! Anyway, EN support acknowledges this bug, so I guess it gets fixed   …some day 🙄

• Evernote Expert
9 hours ago, janndk said:

- missing thumbnails 😕

I can succesfully select 99 notes and perform the option to add a tag to each one.  I didn't want to try a move or merge but I've no reason to think that wouldn't work.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say that PDF export (and later HTML export) do not work.  I am able to export a note in general but I do find that if there is a link to, for example, another note then if that shows either the preview or title display then the export contains a warning that that view could not be displayed in the export. I can switch to display just the link (the original display option) and then export works as expected. I hope you'll report this to Evernote support. The PDF and HTML export 'viewers' obviously do not support this new feature. I can, though, print the note and select a PDF printer and that does contain the preview.

All my thumbnails are present

I cannot replicate the task move problem you describe. I click the move option, select the destination note, and it moves and there is no remnant left empty or otherwise in the original note.

I would concur that it is possible that you have some left over junk from a previous installation or, possibly, that you would benefit from a data refresh. You could achieve both with the standard advice to unistall with Rev Uninstaller (for Windows) and then reinstall allowing your data to be rebuiilt at the same time.  But perhaps you have tried this.

But whilst I agree that the PDF and HTML export needs attention I fear your experience with the other issues isn't universal.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

restarting the computer (if you haven't yet), and maybe a full uninstall and reinstall, in case flakes of 10.49 are still jamming the gears of 10.50.

Done that - didn't make any difference 😐

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say that PDF export (and later HTML export) do not work.  I am able to export a note in general but I do find that if there is a link to, for example, another note then if that shows either the preview or title display then the export contains a warning that that view could not be displayed in the export. I can switch to display just the link (the original display option) and then export works as expected. I hope you'll report this to Evernote support. The PDF and HTML export 'viewers' obviously do not support this new feature. I can, though, print the note and select a PDF printer and that does contain the preview.

Yes, it's about these new "previews". Printing to pdf is not an option, as print splits the note content in a wrong way, and it's only possible to print one single note at the time (eg not possible to print a notebook).  

And yes, I have reported this bug to EN support.

• Level 5

Just tried (Mac, Ventura, EN 10.50.10):

select up to 100 notes
      (Have not edited the config.json for more)

preview in pdf export
      Without page numbers, I am on Personal 

thumbnails - yesssss 

Don’t know what you mean with the HTML issue. HTML export has no preview I would be aware of. It creates a HTML master file, a website, with a folder holding embedded files. It can be opened with every browser.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, janndk said:

- missing thumbnails 😕

I downloaded 10.50.10 on 14th and working flawlessly, Export PDF (Preview) Export HTML, I can select 100 Notes.  No missing Thumbnails. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bmcl26 said:

I downloaded 10.50.10 on 14th and working flawlessly, Export PDF (Preview) Export HTML, ...

Yay! Good to hear, so there is hope 😃😉 

(EN support also acknowledges this problem, so it's not only me)

1 hour ago, bmcl26 said:

I can select 100 Notes.

I can select 100 notes in EN Web, but not in EN Windows.

1 hour ago, bmcl26 said:

No missing Thumbnails. 

Thumbnail problem is probably a general EN problem, not specific for EN Windows.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

To me it looks you have a sedimented install - lots of sand in the gears from former versions.

When did you last do a full uninstall, using Revo Uninstaller (or similar) to really purge all traces of the old installations ? Then a Windows restart, and a fresh install from the EN website.

• Level 5
9 hours ago, janndk said:

Of course PDF export needs to work. I'm paying "Professional" subscription just because of that function!! Anyway, EN support acknowledges this bug, so I guess it gets fixed   …some day 🙄

Well, what I meant is that I don't know that we were promised that the new previews of links and attachments would appear in an exported PDF. Hopefully that will come to pass -- it would certainly be beneficial. Glad you're in touch with Evernote support about all this.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

To me it looks you have a sedimented install - lots of sand in the gears from former versions.

When did you last do a full uninstall, using Revo Uninstaller (or similar) to really purge all traces of the old installations ? Then a Windows restart, and a fresh install from the EN website.

I uninstalled and installed just the usual way, as instructed by EN support. 

But you are probably right, a more comprehensive cleaning process might be a good idea 👍 However, support says they can confirm the pdf export error, so it seems to be some kind of software bug and not an install failure 🤔

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Well, what I meant is that I don't know that we were promised that the new previews of links and attachments would appear in an exported PDF. Hopefully that will come to pass -- it would certainly be beneficial. Glad you're in touch with Evernote support about all this.

It can be printed, so pdf export should be possible to do too. As others have already pointed out, printing to pdf can fortunately be used as a workaround in some cases (short single notes).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2022 at 4:12 AM, agsteele said:

would concur that it is possible that you have some left over junk from a previous installation or, possibly, that you would benefit from a data refresh. You could achieve both with the standard advice to unistall with Rev Uninstaller (for Windows) and then reinstall allowing your data to be rebuiilt at the same time.  But perhaps you have tried this.

I updated to 10.50.10 on 12/22/2022.  Can you point me to a page or article about the uninstall and reinstall.  Where is my data to be rebuilt reside?  Evernote cloud account?  My problem is when I search for a something, I see only one answer, and the remaining 'slots' where other matches should show are all blank.  Thanks for any further explanation or pointing to helpful articles.

• Evernote Expert

The uninstall/reinstall process is all documented in the forums.

The data on your device is not fully removed by a standard Windows uninstall. Revo Uninstaller clears out all the detritus.

The master copy of your data exists in the cloud. When you reinstall a new copy is transferred to your devices.

• Like 1