Reinstalling Evernote 7.1.4 from Time Machine Backup? 🍀💚

I did update to the latest version of Evernote recently and I regret it deeply for several personal reasons.

1.)I wonder if I might just use Time Machine backup on my Mac to go back in time and reinstall via "restore" the old Evernote folder which was in the Application folder?

Or did the installation of the latest version of Evernote change some settings files, so other files and folders also might need to be restored by Time Machine?

2.) Can I safely just drag and drop  the latest version of Evernote from the Application folder and delete it instantly?

3.) Is the Classic version of Evernote called something else than "Evernote"? I have not tried to install that yet, as I have some macroes relating to the program "Evernote" which I am not sure how to change multiple macroes in one go....... And a grey icon...... Not fun. I love the green icon 💚!

• Level 5*

There is a 'legacy' old version which you can install to run instead of the new version.  I have no idea what excitements you might encounter in doing a free-hand restore of old systems.  You might want to try this first...  install and use;  if you close this version down you can then use v10 if you want any of the new features.  Do not use both at the same time,  or the excitements may return...

Install an older version of Evernote

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Short of a complete reinstall, I would not try to get an application restored from a TM backup.

Use the link provided by @gazumped . After installing and login, the client will draw the notes from the server.

If on Ventura, be warned that legacy is half broken now, and will likely not be fixed again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

It was not damaged intentionally, it just happened by accident. There is a small chance that Apple will change something that removes the display problems for legacy.

For some hope dies last - I have not even taken the time to install legacy on my new Mac. No need to have that database twice.

• Like 1

After finding 7.1.4 online via Evernote when I started Evernote 7.1.4 this message came (below screen shot):
Does this mean that is is safe to Continue as long as all my data is online via Evernote? I will not loos all my Evernote notes from way back?

I am on Osx High Sierra (10.13)

image.png.cba7dd580305be70ee954cfd7beac61f.png

Edited by mangoguru
  • Level 5

Do you have any local notebooks - this are notebooks that only exist on your drive, not synced to the server ?

In this case you need to export them to ENEX-files first. This is done notebook by notebook, each one creating an ENEX file with the notebook name as file name. After installing the new version, they can be imported as regular notebooks, which will be synced with the server.

Or you need to install EN legacy again (side by side with v10), and import them there, and declare them as local again.

If you have no local notebooks, make sure your EN legacy is fully synced with the server. Click on the sync button once again, to assure this. Once everything is on the server, you can continue. The new database will entirely be build from the server copy of your notes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Do you have any local notebooks - this are notebooks that only exist on your drive, not synced to the server ?

= No, I do not

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

If you have no local notebooks, make sure your EN legacy is fully synced with the server. Click on the sync button once again, to assure this. Once everything is on the server, you can continue. The new database will entirely be build from the server copy of your notes.

Ok, I guess Evernote also keeps a backup for their clients that also can be restored if a user by accident does something locally that erases the local files? Even if the user syncs all that erasing of notes? They must also keep a kind of restore backup system?

As long as the everything I need is online via the Evernote Web in order, then everything is good to go rigth?

Thank you guys! 💚

How do I find out if I have any local notes or notebooks which are not synced ever? Hmmmm. I was not even aware of that was possible.

How do you even make a note or notebook or other Evernote content that is suppose to not be synced ever and why?

• Level 5

If you don’t know about the feature, I don’t think you have any. They need to be declared extra - any notebook created in the normal use will be synced.

You can go to the web client by logging I to your account at the EN website. When the notebooks are all there, they are cloud based, and should be synced as well.

Ok, so I have a questions for you guys which has the original 7.14 (not legacy) still installed.

How much disk space does it take up?

I did the restore of the Old working 7.1.4 from Time Machine and compared it to the zip file from Evernote and it puzzles me that it is not the same size.

I am referring to the folder in the application folder "Evernote".

I see now that the folder "Frameworks" contains some more data on the zip folder from Evernote so that was logical now.

And my restored Evernote Application folder contains the folder "_MASReceipt" which of course the Evernote folder from the Zip does not.