Hacking

Someone is annoyingly and consistently trying to hack my Evernote account. I have 2 step on and get text messages everyday of someone trying to access my account. I’m thinking about deactivating unless Evernote can somehow stop it.

• Level 5
On 11/28/2022 at 7:00 PM, Tdr said:

Someone is annoyingly and consistently trying to hack my Evernote account. I have 2 step on and get text messages everyday of someone trying to access my account. I’m thinking about deactivating unless Evernote can somehow stop it.

Why should EN stop „it“ when somehow your personal data started to circulate in the internet ? Since this data is sold and resold in the darknet, you may have trouble with a bunch of other apps - but maybe they do not care as much to notify their clients, as EN does.

You should take care yourself:

1) Check if your data is circulating (they don’t have everything, but quite a lot)

https://haveibeenpwned.com

2) Once you have identified the email that causes you the trouble (well, the one for your EN account), you need to eliminate it from public use. Get a fresh email address, and use it to change your account login. With EN, this is how you switch your account access to another mail address:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313338

3) Get a password manager, if you still don’t have one, and start to change all accounts over that use the same address. Get new, strong and unique passwords; if possible enable 2FA.

4) Pro-Tip for Apple users: You can enable „Hide my email“, which will provide a new, unique email address for every account. This way your mail address can never be used again to attack any other service beside the one where it was stolen. Use it, and you will never again have to change a bunch of accounts because they share the same email as login.

• Level 5*
On 11/28/2022 at 10:00 AM, Tdr said:

unless Evernote can somehow stop it

As you reported, Evernote is protecting your account by stopping unauthorized access