Not loading + rude message

Go to solution Solved by Dave-in-Decatur,

I can't start Evernote, all I get is this, have tried different ways to reload/start but just this same screen (see below). So I went online instead, and got a pretty rude popup saying I have to choose between paying for an upgrade or not syncronising one unit (I have it on my phone and the windows app). I don't want to upgrade, I want the app to work!

screenshot 1:

image.thumb.png.46bca49b6734a8aa0ddffcb95f44a9e2.png

screenshot 2:

image.thumb.png.5279d11d1cea6fd07ef9003da7afcb32.png

No. The problem is that the app isn't loading.

The device limit is not the problem at all, as I always only use the Windows app, a few times the Android app also.

This time I tried the third option (online) only because the Windows app wasn't responding. But instead of Evernote saying "sorry the app isnt functioning, use Evernote online while we fix the problem", they pop up a "pay up or get out" message. Which I thought was quite annoying.

• Level 5

This is the translation, courtesy to Google, since my Swedish is quite nonexistent:

Please upgrade if you want to continue using
Evernote on this device
Collect and organize your ideas anywhere. Upgrade now when you want to access your notes on an unlimited number of devices.
Keep the current plan. Stop syncing a device
Keep all devices ...(Try or Upgrade with 25% discount)

I rather don't think Google added some niceties while translating. Personally I don't feel there is anything "rude" in this communication. It simply says "You stepped over the limits of the free plan - make up your mind: Skip a device if you want to continue on Free, or Test / Pay to lift the limits".

There is no "a little bit over should be OK". If you already have 2 devices synced (as you say, Windows and Android), and now want to use the Web Client in addition, it IS a third device. That's why your notes are not loading there, and that's what the box in kind words tells you to decide. It does not play a role how many devices you have in use at that moment. You are logged in and synced on 2 devices, and that's what is allowed with not paying for what you use.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
  • Solution

Regarding the failure of Evernote for Windows to load, did this happen after an update? There have been reports of an update (I think v. 10.48.4) failing to load. The most recent version, 10.48.5, should be available for download from the Evernote Website. At any rate, installing it couldn't do any harm, and might fix the issue. But you will still have to revoke access to one of the 3 "devices" (Windows, Android, Web). The simplest thing might be to log out of the Android app temporarily. If you can get the Windows app working, you can then go to your account page and revoke access to the Web client.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hi Dave, the second picture in the post shows the "device limit warning" message box that appears when you try to log in on a third device. This is consistent with the posts content, that tells it was on the web client where the message appeared.

From my view with the much improved web client it is probably the best combination for many Free users to use the web client, plus a mobile one. The web client counts as one "device", no matter on how many physical devices it is used.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Hi Dave, the second picture in the post shows the "device limit warning" message box that appears when you try to log in on a third device. This is consistent with the posts content, that tells it was on the web client where the message appeared.

Got that, and if it's possible to get past that warning/invitation to revoke access to the Web client, good. But wouldn't logging out of Android also get back within the 2-device limit and allow access from Windows and Web?

@gazumped@PinkElephant I'm sorry I wrote the word "rude", it seems to have obfuscated my question and maybe felt rude in itself to you. I was just so frustrated that Evernote, instead of letting me use platform #3 (web), at least in some barebone mode, while #2 (Windows app) wasn't functioning, told me to pay or just be content with one platform. I wasn't able to use #1 (on Android) when this happened, so it was extra frustrating. I thought your answers weren't very helpful, as if you hadn't read what I actually wrote and felt annoyed with me, but I'm aware that I was part of that problem.

But all well that ends well! And this did! Thanks again @Dave-in-Decaturfor your patience!

• Like 3