Is it possible to connect Evernote Tasks with any other task program using Zapier or Make?

Go to solution Solved by agsteele,

Hello. I just subscribed to Evernote mostly because of the limitations of working with PDFs in OneNote and other similar apps. My eyebrows raised when I noticed that there was not yet any integration with Outlook calendars, and not even a timeline for when it would work. This seems utterly bizarre in 2022. I did see that note reminders could create tasks in Microsoft To Do or Google Tasks. Yay. However, it seems that if the reminder is attached to a task in an Evernote note, then this integration doesn't work. And you cannot create a task outside of a note, add a reminder, and get it to sync with anything else. So, it seems that it is not possible to sync any Evernote tasks with any other program. Is this really the case or did I miss something completely? If there is a way, can some helpful person provide a link or an explanation?

• Level 5*

Hi.  More details please.  What do you want to do with the tasks?  Why do they need to sync with something else?  The obvious connection would be to keep the detail of a task in Evernote and then get a link to that note so that you can access the detail from anwhere you have access to the internet and to your notes.  Similarly if you need to action something elsewhere,  you can embed a link to the app or the relevant file in your Evernote entry...

• Evernote Expert
  • Solution

Evernote tasks cannot sync with an external program because the API is, yet, to be updated. You can connect via third party applications to check boxes and note reminders but not directly to tasks. Evernote tasks is, currently, a standalone feature.

Outlook calendar sync has proved rather more difficult than you might imagine to integrate with. Google calendar was the first choice, I think, because Evernote uses Google infrastructure and the connections were easier to achieve. There are no timelines ever provided by Evernote but I anticipate Outlook calendar connection within the next three months. But I'm just another user so what do I know? ;)

So far all the integrations are one way. So you can view Google calendar inside Evernote but you cannot update that calendarfrom within Evernote. Expect the same with Outlook when it arrives and also the Apple calendar stuff too.

@agsteele have you heard that this is on the roadmap at all? I have been waiting to be able to use either Zapier or IFTTT to bring tasks over to Todoist, which is my primary to do application. Evernote has had the reminders in the API for awhile and typically available to sync to another app, but as you have stated, tasks are missing. I have brought this up elsewhere and shared with Evernote but have not heard back. 

• Evernote Expert

No and I don't expect to hear this. Of course it might do someday. I anticipate that the API will be updated eventually but you should make a workflow that works for you now. Once the API is updated then IFTTT and Zapier might choose to connect to the new features.

But there is no indication of which features will be made accessible nor when.

On 11/14/2022 at 9:50 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  More details please.  What do you want to do with the tasks?  Why do they need to sync with something else?  

I wanted to have one place where my tasks were located and where they would send reminders, and so on. Evernote doesn't want to make that possible, I guess. Or they don't want it enough to make it a priority for the API updates.

On 11/14/2022 at 10:53 AM, agsteele said:

Evernote tasks cannot sync with an external program because the API is, yet, to be updated. You can connect via third party applications to check boxes and note reminders but not directly to tasks. Evernote tasks is, currently, a standalone feature.

Outlook calendar sync has proved rather more difficult than you might imagine to integrate with. Google calendar was the first choice, I think, because Evernote uses Google infrastructure and the connections were easier to achieve. There are no timelines ever provided by Evernote but I anticipate Outlook calendar connection within the next three months. But I'm just another user so what do I know? ;)

So far all the integrations are one way. So you can view Google calendar inside Evernote but you cannot update that calendarfrom within Evernote. Expect the same with Outlook when it arrives and also the Apple calendar stuff too.

I believed Evernote's advertising that Outlook/365 integration would be "soon." I'm not sure why they would actually advertise that when they have no timeline. When I contacted support about all of this, they told me they had no timeline and could not give me a ballpark length of time I'd have to wait. When I pointed out the advertising was rather dishonest, they gave me a refund. 

Having gone down the rabbit hole with Make (formerly Integromat), I have seen how Outlook's API can be a bit difficult to deal with. They simply have way too many fields and options and not enough clarity about which to use and when. I am assuming that some of the problem is that Outlook is so sold and they have to grandfather in every darn version for folks still using, say, Windows XP. Unlike Google, they don't abandon apps very often, though honestly, they probably should!

Anyway, thanks @agsteele

• Level 5

AFAIK EN Tasks are still no part of the (documented) API, and as such not „advertised“ anywhere. EN v10 does not allow scripting, which seems to be a general problem with Electron based apps.

“Soon“ is just an acronym for „not available“, and no invitation to believe anything will happen „soon“.

Personally I would say stick with what’s available here and now, use it and be happy.

Just as a reminder: EN Tasks is not meant to build „yet another task manager“. It primary goal is to make EN notes actionable - and THIS it does better than any other solution.