How to export ENEX files on iOS?

Go to solution Solved by Calion,

• Level 5

On the mobile devices, you can only use 1 note at a time. This is no different to the older versions.

To send a note with content instead of a link, use the share a note function, and the send by email option. It will crate an email with the notes text, and attach files that were in the original note.

On desktop, you can still export a complete notebook at a time, no matter how large.

The linked article above tells stupidly to „Export all notes“. This can be done in legacy - and you end up with all notes on a large heap, without the notebook information. So either you have only 1 notebook, and don’t care. Or you have a problem ….

Because of this, exporting on legacy should have been done by notebook, as it is with v10.

How to import the export into Apple Notes is another issue. And the maybe largest one is how to get notes out of Apple Notes one day again - it is not really assisting with a large scale export.

I don't want to use a desktop client. I want to export my notes, with metadata, on iOS. 

So not only has Evernote made things worse, pushing people off the platform, it has made it harder to get off the platform.

Nice. 

• Evernote Expert

I don't remember there being an ability to export ENEX on mobile devices in the past. But that may be my failing memory. Which version of the Evernote software had the ability to export to ENEX for you?

If you want the data to export and leave Evernote then rather than fight the system, I'd say getting a desktop application would be quickest. There is an external application evernote-backup which does the job nicely of MacOS, Windows and Linux - https://github.com/vzhd1701/evernote-backup/releases/tag/1.9.2

I know nothing of a means of doing this on iOS or, for that matter, any mobile platform

• Level 5

It may have been possible, but the article (out of a reason I explained in my post above) is off the point in general. The guy who wrote it probably never tried it with a significant number of notes.

Since the mobile client only allows to open one note at a time, export to ENEX is not really a good option. ENEX was not designed as a format for single notes - if you look to the format description, it is clearly a container to hold a number of notes.

So use the desktop client if you need to export.

8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It may have been possible, but the article (out of a reason I explained in my post above) is off the point in general. The guy who wrote it probably never tried it with a significant number of notes.

I'm confused. The article showing how to export notes in ENEX on iOS is off the point of whether it was possible to export notes in ENEX on iOS??

8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Since the mobile client only allows to open one note at a time, export to ENEX is not really a good option. ENEX was not designed as a format for single notes - if you look to the format description, it is clearly a container to hold a number of notes.

Well, regardless, it was once possible. And it is no longer. I don't remember what happened when you did it; did it not work well? If not, who cares what the format description says. One is "a number."

• Level 5

The whole issue is that an “export“ from a client that doesn’t load more than 1 note at any time is pretty useless.

Anyhow, it does not exist. The forum is user2user. If you would like to get ENEX export on mobile, use the feedback function or a support ticket.

On 9/16/2022 at 1:26 AM, PinkElephant said:

The whole issue is that an “export“ from a client that doesn’t load more than 1 note at any time is pretty useless.

Not for my present purpose. I'm writing a Shortcut that exports single notes from Evernote to Obsidian…but I can't get Tags, which is frustrating. 

So does anyone know any way to extract tags from a note? Location data would be nice too. 

21 hours ago, Calion said:

Not for my present purpose. I'm writing a Shortcut that exports single notes from Evernote to Obsidian…but I can't get Tags, which is frustrating. 

So does anyone know any way to extract tags from a note? Location data would be nice too. 

mm, exporting tags would probably be useless unless you know how to import them into the other software 😕 unfortunately there is no standardised format for note-metadata, as far as I know. The world seems to have coalesced around some-dialect-of-markdown for notes, however. it would be nice if evernote would offer a way to sort-of, half-export a note in markdown as well as it can. 

This is just one more example of why open standards are a good idea. However, open standards tend to evolve slower than the applications that use them, so lots of incompatible extensions to the standard tend to be created 😕 Take for example chat apps. in the old days there was an open standard called XMPP (or Jabber). Google used this for its first chat app, found that the standard didn't cover all the functionality google wanted to offer, so they added an open extension to it. Nobody implemented the open extension apart from Google. The immediate result was that every other messaging service offered ways to import your contacts from google while making it impossible to export contacts from their own service. The end result is that there are now hundreds of different messaging services which are either a/ trying to get others to implement their open-source protocol (google) or b/ trying their best to remain as incompatible as possible with other messaging services (facebook, apple, microsoft ...).

Sorry, that last paragraph was rather off-topic. the state of messaging services is something that really annoys me ... 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

We can agree to that conclusion: The first page on my Home Screen is pretty much occupied by messaging (and some widgets).

The EU is at the moment discussing to force every messenger service to provide an interface for a unified app (or several?) that would cover them all - enforced by law.

The problem: Nobody has a clue how to do this - but keep end to end encryption.

• Solution

Aha! There is a way to export ENEX on iOS! I thought I had seen it!

Go to the Note Info window of any note, and an “Export Note” link will appear, allowing you to email an ENEX file of the note.

Whether this will help me in writing my Shortcut, I have no idea, but at least I know it exists.

• Like 1
On 9/18/2022 at 3:09 PM, PinkElephant said:

We can agree to that conclusion: The first page on my Home Screen is pretty much occupied by messaging (and some widgets).

The EU is at the moment discussing to force every messenger service to provide an interface for a unified app (or several?) that would cover them all - enforced by law.

The problem: Nobody has a clue how to do this - but keep end to end encryption.

I don't see the problem here. if the apps all implement the same api then end-2-end encryption would run on the payload. 

• Level 5

EN v10 does not support scripting. The shortcuts I had working with the prior version failed with v10, or were unreliable. I think this is a dead end.

The API currently seems the only way to automate things. You need to obtain a developer token to use it.