Evernote do not update Excel Files after longer time the file is opened

Hi, after Waiting Version Update after Version Update, i just write down my annoying Problem here.
For like months Evernote is not able update Files, like in my case correctly after done changes.

Scenario:

- Excel File Monday opened  
- Wednesday some new Lines into a Table in this Excel
- When i save that changes manually and close, after that again opening, those changes are lost

What if done so far to workaround:

- Save and close like in the scenario above
- after that i open in Excel, "last opened files" out of a empty Excel File
- Look if my changes are in there , Save and Exit again
- After that i delete that not updating Excel out of Evernote Notebook and copy that temporairy saved Evernote Excel File back on the Location in the Notebook

It looks like, Evernote isnt updating after a time like a day the changes that are made into the lokal tempfiles it creates for every File in a Notebook.
Why i think its that case?

Because if the temp File taht evernote created and that holds the changes, didnt been opened when i dooubleclick in the Notebook, there is anything buggy and for me the Evernote Usability/Funktion completely lost...

I cant imaging that im the only person that has that massive Problem... 

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I have notes with Excel files attached. I open the note from inside Evernote, make changes and save. The changes are saved into the note and are still there later.

It is possible that you leave the Excel file open too long without saving.  Or perhaps your Evernote database is corrupted.

Working with the last opened files shouldn't be the way forward.

You can rebuild your data.  File | Sign Out | Remove my Evernote Data | Sign back in and allow your data to be restored.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, MartinBuuhh said:

Are you opening the file from within Evernote like @agsteeledoes? If you attach a file from somewhere into Evernote, then Evernote creates its own copy of that file. There is no link between the original document and Evernote's copy.

• Level 5

It is in general not a problem, unless you create one.

When you Store a file inside of EN, it is not like storing that file on a regular file path. It is stored in an active, synchronizing app. When you leave it open over days without saving or refreshing the link, one of the sides will likely loose the connection.

From then on changing the open document will not update the app and the file inside any longer.

Conclusion: Don’t hold the app and files opened from it open for hours or days. Open a file, edit it, and then at least hit „close“ to save it back.

• 3 months later...

I am doing something wrong.  I have created an Excel spreadsheet, dragged the file into Evernote.  Now I click on the link created and make changes to the spreadsheet and save the file.  Next I open Evernote, click the link and none of my changes were saved.  (I now have several versions of the spreadsheet.)  My question is, how do I, or can you direct me to the page, to set up a link between Evernote and Excel?

Thanks

• Evernote Expert

You don't say how you are saving the Excel sheet.  When I do this I simply close the sheet and accept the save option in the pop up. Or I can type Ctrl+S before closing the sheet. Either way the changes are saved in the sheet that is stored inside the Evernote note.

Dragging the spreadsheet into a note stores the whole file inside the note. It isn't a link but the actual file stored.

If you want to create a link to a sheet stored on your hard drive then save a shortcut into the note.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 1:24 AM, MartinBuuhh said:

Hi, after Waiting Version Update after Version Update, i just write down my annoying Problem here.
For like months Evernote is not able update Files, like in my case correctly after done changes.

Scenario:

- When i save that changes manually and close, after that again opening, those changes are lost

I have the same issue.  I tend to keep a mind map open for an extended period of time that I use as a planner / to-do list.  I find that if I leave it overnight, I have the same problem.  I suspect that if I at least save it periodically that might help.  Otherwise I might have to go back to keeping that one on my local file system instead of in EN.