Web Clipper for Chrome Stopped Working

Hello,

I have a Windows 11 PC. I also have the Windows Evernote app. I did download the Web Clipper for Chrome. Today I've noticed that whenever I use the Web Clipper, whatever I clipped is not showing up on the App. I even tried it on Edge and it's the same issue. Is it the app that is the issue? I did tried to Repair and Reset the app (That might be the issue) and then I tried to uninstall and reinstall the Web Clipper, but nothing works. What now?

• Level 5

It is your machine, you should know. Installed security software is pulling new blacklists all the time - one bad entry, and it stops access. 

But anyhow - to see what is going on taking a look at the web client is probably the easiest way. The notes are there: Clipper works, syncing problem. The notes are not there: Problem with the Clipper.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It is your machine, you should know. Installed security software is pulling new blacklists all the time - one bad entry, and it stops access. 

But anyhow - to see what is going on taking a look at the web client is probably the easiest way. The notes are there: Clipper works, syncing problem. The notes are not there: Problem with the Clipper.

I don't know how to do that on my machine. I didn't install a security software. I think that is more of an app not communicating with the Clipper. I noticed when I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, that it didn't save the Tasks that I changed. Now what?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Most folks just add the extension and get on with things.  You seem to have installed,  reinstalled,  tried other browsers and checked your virus protection and still run into problems.  Going back to first principles,  what exactly happens when you clip a web page?  When you sync the app,  do you see the clipped page as a note?

My Virus Protection isn't running into problems. There is still a communication issue between the Evernote Windows app and the Chrome extension. It could be that one or the other has slowed down. I don't know.

When I used to go into the app after I clipped something, it usually shows up on the home screen at the top. But not today. When I see the app. I see the home screen with the notes on top, but it's not showing the most recent one that I recently clipped. That''s were the problem is. So otherwise, I don't see the clipped webpage as a note as it is supposed to do.

How do I sync the app and the Web Clipper? Maybe that is the problem.

And where is the web clipper on the website itself? Maybe that might be the problem. I mean I must of fiddled around with my account info or something like that.

It could be something that happened to my Evernote app, which caused my screen to go black. I also did have to reinstall it yesterday. I guess that is when the problem with the Web Clipper started.

Could this problem be related to me forwarding some Gmails to evernote? I mean could that be the reason why Web Clipper isn't working or Slow?

Edited by midnightstarr2021
Added something new.
  • Level 5

The EN Windows app and the WebClipper do not communicate directly at all.

You can install WebClipper on a computer without having the EN client installed. WebClipper just needs a browser.

The communication runs WebClipper - API - EN Cloud server. The clipped notes are created directly on the server, without using any EN client.

From the server the notes then sync to all devices. If the EN client is installed on the same computer as the WebClipper, it does receive the note as well from the server via internet - not from the WebClipper „next door“.

To troubleshoot this chain, the best way is to use the web client (open Evernote.com and log in). This draws its data directly from the server.

If after clipping the notes show there, clipping has worked (sometimes you need to refresh the browser session to see the changes). If they don’t appear, clipping has failed.

From what you describe, your Windows client may have a problem. But this is then a client problem, not a WebClipper problem.

To see what really happens you now first need to check whether the clipped notes are on the server.

• Evernote Expert

Having read and re-read this thread I can't help thinking that there is some misunderstanding on how the web clippers work. Also, all the many tweaks and adjustments may have muddied everything.

So I'll note the following. The web clippers are standalone browser extensions. They do not communicate with Evernote desktop apps. The clipping process sends the content directly the account on the Evernote servers. So trying to debug a link between the clipper and the desktop app is fruitless.

I'd suggest a pause, deep breath, and start from first principles.

Forget the desktop app. Use the web browser and check whether the web clipper is actually sending clipped content to your account. As @PinkElephant noted in the first response to the question. This is the first place to go. Is the clipped content in your account on the web? If not, then the clipper isn't connecting to the Evernote servers. I'm sure there are many reasons why this could happen. Possibly the most common is that you have mistakenly opened a second free Evernote account and you have sent the clips to a different account. I'm sure that there are other things to explore.

If, though, the clips are arriving on the servers and can be seen in the web browser then there seems to be a sync issue with your desktop app. In this case you can move on from an issue with the clipper and instead debug the desktop app sync.

So do let us know which stage in the process is failing and we may be able to suggest things to try.

• Like 2