Boot Up Woes

SuperTRev

Idea

So I have a $4k PC.  I can literally boot up Windows 10 faster than the desktop Evernote app boots up.  I don't mean the app, I mean just the login screen.  Then after login, it's like another half hour before the app appears on screen.  Yikes!  You got to be kidding me with that.  I bet if I pulled out the stop watch, I would find that any other program I have would boot up faster, including fully featured programs like FL Studio or Starcraft II.  The slowest program I currently have is a note taking app?  ... Really?

In contrast, I merely click on the Google Chrome icon in my windows taskbar, and I have Google Calendar, Gmail, YouTube and Google Tasks ready to roll, faster than I can snap my fingers.  I remind you the $4k PC, that has 64GB of the fastest RAM, a $1k GPU and runs off an SSD drive.  So how does a potato PC fare trying to boot up Evernote I wonder?  What is this app trying to do when it's loading the login screen?  Mine for bitcoin?  

I can login with my credentials, or login with Google.  ... But Google won't manage the password because it's not in Chrome.  But I can login with Google... what?  What if I don't want to login with Google?  Then it's back to the year of our Lord 1545, where I produce the scroll and the ink quill to manually type out a ten character password so I can use... a note taking app.  What, is someone going to see my fried egg recipe and a reminder to exercise?  God forbid!  Why do I have to manually enter a password on my own computer?  What am I storing missile codes?

So I just had to reset the password because of my chicken scratch on my paper didn't make sense.  Accuracy is another issue with manual passwords.  The login screen said something about deencryption failed or something.  No idea.  So I'm a half hour of my life spent logging in to take a ten second note, and another half hour to have to stop what I'm doing to rant about it.

The taskbar widget lets you quickly jot down a note.  Ok.  ... does it have a hotkey?  What if I'm in a fullscreen program?  I have to suspend that app and spend several clicks getting to the fresh note before I can jot it down?  Or I could just pick up my smart phone, tap once, then tap again and have talk to text fire a note right into Google Tasks.  Done.

What happens after I'm done typing out this new note?  I have a 'convert to note' button.  Ok, but I can't find it in Evernote, after it was written.  Where did it go?  Shouldn't a quick sticky note style of box be a task instead of a note?  Shouldn't it be auto-added to a dedicated quick-note notebook, so it can be easily retrieved in the future?  I'm not sure why I'm using this feature when it's slower and more awkward than (the free) Google Tasks.  It's actually about the same amount of work using pen and paper at this point, when you consider having to hunt it down.  And it's running in the background the whole time using PC resources.

Could these new tasks list buttons *not be purple?  (I didn't want to start a thread just to ask that.)  I mean, you have that nice green colour for things, then you go and make the tasks purple.  Why?  I can see it's a task because it's an empty circle.  I don't need it colour coded if I don't want it to be.  But you can't change it to the nice green?  Or that blue 'Edit' button?  The green, black and white colour scheme is nice, but these other colours are loud and confusing.

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5

If startup is slow, there is often a data corruption hidden in the local database. You can try this to fix it. It will delete the local database and reload it fresh from the EN cloud server:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote
  • Level 5

For everything else the forum is a place to discuss with other users. If you want to reach EN PM, use the feedback function build into the clients.

Personally I think we have come a long way if we now start to discuss the colors EN uses in the GUI. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - if we ask 100 users, we likely will hear 101 opinions about it. For me it is OK as it is.

27 minutes ago, SuperTRev said:

So how does a potato PC fare trying to boot up Evernote I wonder? 

I have an HP G1 Elite Desk from 2013 that I bought refurbished. It has 12 GB RAM and an SSD (woo =). It's a little better than a potato, but not by much. It runs Evernote v10 pretty dang quick - I've got no complaints. There must be something else at play here...

• Level 5

No, I am just another user. EN employees have a „Staff“ attached to their badges. And you will find beside posting official announcements they are not very active on the forum.

The communicated official way to reach EN PM is through feedback. It will not be answered.

The other channel is through support - which is meant for bugs, or general account and billings issues.

• Level 5

Speed depends on several aspects, network and internet speed among them.

After dumping the local database it needs to be rebuild from the server first. Can take a while, depending on its size, connection and the computer. In general EN should be run from an SSD - this has the largest impact on speed.

I did not say it will be a fast fix. Dumping the database is the least intrusive method. The next step could be to reinstall.

To uninstall it is important to run an uninstaller app, like Revo Uninstaller. Set it to clean all program parts and settings. To reinstall use the direct download from the EN website.

• Level 5

EN runs inside of a framework. The framework is based on Chrome(ium) - basically it is a browser without an own front end. This may explain the number of processes shown in the task manager. And as Chrome it is not shy of utilizing system resources …

The web client is close to feature parity. But it has no installed database, which makes it depend on the internet connection to 100%.

To see what may be going on in your case you could simply go offline with your computer. Just don’t log out of EN before (you can quit the app, but stay logged in), since being logged out prevents offline access. Now open the app while offline. Much faster ? Then the problem is with the internet / network connection. Still slow ? Then I would reinstall (see above).

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Good it solved the major issue.

You can declare any program as an autostart item:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/add-an-app-to-run-automatically-at-startup-in-windows-10-150da165-dcd9-7230-517b-cf3c295d89dd

About shortcuts: Look at the bottom of the left panel. There is a keyboard symbol. Click on it, and you gets list of all keyboard shortcuts.

You can edit many of them. Hover with the mouse over any. 3 dots appear in front of the shortcut. Click them, if the shortcut can be edited you find it there. Avoid collisions with system shortcuts or other apps.

For a head start into using EN try the Evernote YouTube channel. They have a lot of good clips and tutorials there.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If startup is slow, there is often a data corruption hidden in the local database. You can try this to fix it. It will delete the local database and reload it fresh from the EN cloud server:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote

You told me to sign out, then sign out.

After signing out, I looked for the 'remove data' options, but there was none.  Only the login screen, with limited options.

And by 'device' it means just the app, right?  I'm not going to lose my work?

Edited by SuperTRev
added info
9 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

For everything else the forum is a place to discuss with other users. If you want to reach EN PM, use the feedback function build into the clients.

Personally I think we have come a long way if we now start to discuss the colors EN uses in the GUI. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - if we ask 100 users, we likely will hear 101 opinions about it. For me it is OK as it is.

But I did reach someone with 14k + posts.  Are you not staff?

I thought it was a feedback area.  I'm used to the Image Line forum, where the devs moderate the forum, my fault.

For you the ugly purple and blue is ok?  Ya and you also like pink elephants apparently.  Think I'm asking the wrong person about colours.

I found the 'remove data' selection.  Did that, restarted the computer, it's still slow.  Maybe I should reinstall the whole thing.

Do you know how to force it to fullscreen on every boot up?  And how to get rid of the release notes popping up on every boot up?  Aren't they supposed to appear only once?

Ok now when clicking on the application, it skips the login and directly boots up.  That's good.  Still slow though.  Am considering having it start with windows.

But have this concerning number of processes running in the background.

77702847_MultipleEntries.png.27b2e2239036a8c47bf6e84bf3bf0366.png

Each entry says it's an application.  Why does it need eight copies of itself running when I'm not using it.  It's using 419 mb of ram, to have a taskbar widget going.

Corsair's iCue also has a bunch of entries.  But that is actually managing my keyboard and mouse macroes and monitoring computer temps.  Evernote isn't doing anything at all.  It's things like this that make me cranky and start complaining.  

Haven't reinstalled it yet, but now I'm unsure if I want to just use the web version, which would be a shame if I have to do that because of this background process issue.

Ok I just went ahead and reinstalled it.  Looks like I had two versions going.  Don't know why that was, didn't even realize it.  I uninstalled both.

278672270_TwoVersions.png.43bcba59e9631f08bfe933b9a0784b99.png

Swept and registry scan with Ccleaner.  Restarted, redownloaded, installed from the main website.  Working a lot better now.  It's versions 10.36.4.

Much better.  Thanks for the help.

I don't see a 'start with windows' option anywhere.  Do you know if it starts up anyway?  Or a scheduled task could start it?  Or if there is an option to disable that if need be?  Ideally there would be an option to 'exit application on X click, or minimize to tray on - click'.  But yea, it's working better now.

I see the 'open quick note' hotkey now, printed directly in the note itself.  Haha hidden in plain sight.  I can make a macro of that and it will be a one button press.

I'm a lot happier than I was yesterday, that's for sure.  :)

14 hours ago, agsteele said:

To start with Windows create an OS startup shortcut.

The previous answer for that worked.  The Evernote gui is open when my desktop appears.  Wish it would force fullscreen but that's minor.

Thanks anyway.

• Like 1