How does updating excel sheets uploaded in evernote function?

Greetings!
I have a question regarding excel sheets in notes.

Will I be able to update these, if they are uploaded in a different location and interacted with there? Or to they turn into their own instance of the sheet that is embedded in evernote?

Thanks

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, Memjong said:

Or to they turn into their own instance of the sheet that is embedded in evernote?

Confirmed - the spreadsheet is stored (embedded) in the Evernote database as a note file attachment   

Editing with the native app requires a download from the database    
This is done automatically in Windows/Mac

• Evernote Expert

Yes, and remember once embedded in the note, it is separate from the original sheet stored on your computer. Updating the sheet embedded in the now does affect the original copy.

• 2 weeks later...

This is kind of a gripe I have on mobile: you can open the Evernote version of the file in its app, but can only save it to the file manager. Then you have to re-add it to your note and delete the previous version from the note. I have the same issue with annotating PDFs because I prefer another annotation tool. I know it’s a combination of how Evernote does things AND how iOS does things, but it’s still a nuisance.

Is the experience better with Google Drive documents? Maybe the “coming sometime” OneDrive integration will improve the experience.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, scojjac said:

Maybe the “coming sometime” OneDrive integration will improve the experience.

An 'embedded' file is part of Evernote's note database,  not an individual file in it's own right. External apps need a specific file type to open and save in order to make changes to the content,  hence downloading the item from the database to an editable file type,  making changes,  then re-uploading to the database.

Google file links are separate links to existing individual files that are already outside or Evernote.  By definition,  no separate downloads will be necessary.