Offline notepads download is very slow, not practical

Evernote takes around 10 minutes just to download 150 small text only notes with the window active on evernote. I'm not sure what the bottleneck is, but this a huge problem in the functionality. I have a fast internet connection and a newer phone, for reference. I have around 10k notes, with an archive export size of about 160mb. Thinking that is too many, I reinstalled the app and tried "Download selected notebooks" and got that result.

As I bought the personal plan in order to access my notes offline on mobile, this is quite a disappointment.

• Level 5

The initial download is slow on Android and iOS. The best workaround is to turn the autolockscreen off, put the EN app to be active, place the phone to the charger and let the download run over night. Took 3 nights for me.

Updating then is fast

On 3/31/2022 at 1:25 AM, PinkElephant said:

The initial download is slow on Android and iOS. The best workaround is to turn the autolockscreen off, put the EN app to be active, place the phone to the charger and let the download run over night. Took 3 nights for me.

Updating then is fast

Thanks a lot, I will try that.

On 3/31/2022 at 11:25 AM, PinkElephant said:

Updating then is fast

Problem is even after the 3 nights of download, you will face another problem. When there is a change to the notebook from another device, the offline notebook update on android happens also super slow to the point that I would wait forever to get my note when I need it. I was forced a couple of times to just erase the offline cache and see the notebook online which got my notes a lot faster.

Offline is really unpractical in android right now

• Like 1
  • Level 5

iOS is working ok with updating the offline notebooks. Maybe 15min of daily app use is enough to keep them updated once the initial download is done. In the settings, notebook, offline notebooks view it is pretty easy to check the download status at any time.

Can‘t comment on the Android client, I have no Android devices.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post, but I'm experiencing this for the first time being that I'm out of the country and trying to use Evernote to read. Awful for my poor work phone. Luckily, my personal phone is still the old Evernote and works good. I had just wanted the new Evernote to change some of the colors of my highlighting.

• Evernote Expert

@notetakeingguy I'm not sure that you are raising the same issue as the OP.  I think he/she was trying to resolve the slow download in the background of notebooks on an Android device so that they are available offline. Is that your issue or are you saying that you are having trouble accessing notes on your phone while travelling?

The background download speeds have improved since the original post although they are still not brilliant.  Definitely not something to do once you have embarked upon a trip.  But access to note content should be as quick as the local network will support. Since I don't travel to slow or costly destinations so much I just use my Android device with v10 as it is.  Notes open promptly and speedily without having to have downloaded for offline use.

• Evernote Expert

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't clear from your previous post. As I noted that process remains slow as it has been since the arrival of V10. So much so that I don't bother. I certainly would download before embarking on an overseas trip where I didn't have reliable WiFi access.

On 12/1/2023 at 8:54 AM, agsteele said:

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't clear from your previous post. As I noted that process remains slow as it has been since the arrival of V10. So much so that I don't bother. I certainly would download before embarking on an overseas trip where I didn't have reliable WiFi access.

That last sentence... That's where the problem is. That downloading of notes for offline use is terribly slow. 

No chance to use Evernote on long flights without wifi. 

• Level 5

Background download is always an issue, the devices try to preserve battery power. The fastest way is this:

Turn auto-lockscreen off

Make EN the active app. Start the download by toggling 1-3 notebooks to „offline“. Technically „All“ should work, but my experience is it often doesn’t. 

Now put the phone on a charger, and maybe dim the screen. EN must be the app in the foreground.

Let the download run. Once a notebook is done, add another. This may take some hours or even days, depending on the volume of data.

Once the initial download is complete, you can toggle „All“ to on. This will keep everything updated.

Thanks everyone for the response. What I notice though is that it says the note or notebook has been downloaded offline, but when I go to open it, it says the note is unavailable.

The notebook only has about 20 notes, all pretty simple notes. It did update pretty fast once it did the initial download. However, it says it is all downloaded, then I'm offline (which happens a lot since I'm in a foreign country) and try to open it, and it says not available, even though it shows the symbol has offline downloaded.

I put in a support ticket but I got the standard response of restarting the system, etc, along with a different note about changes in their customer service.

• Level 5

In general you can test any offline download by taking the device to flight mode.

I have a full download on my iPad, no issues. So you can probably only try to toggle the setting, maybe try selectively if a few notes from that notebook download as single notes etc.

The full set of measures includes to uninstall the app, dump all daranwagen asked and then make a forced (!) restart of the iOS device.

Install the app again, log in and first keep the app open without offline download. Only after the app size (data) is stable in iOS settings, you take one notebook offline for a new try.

If it works, continue by notebooks. Only move on to „all” (if intended) after the initial download of all notebooks 1by1 is done.