Android Experience - What to look for in choosing smartphone?

I mostly use EN on PC. 

My Android phone is mostly for view and with ancient android version.

Now, I want to upgrade phone to more modern. I not asking for model advice, they are too many. I am asking, is there some point to take in to account? such as: I do allot of scanning with android. How do you know the scanner will work good with EN app? Is there something to look in model specs? I had older version and focus took too long, the current phone focuses fine but could be faster. I don't want a model with long focus time before scanning the picture.

Should I stick with known brand names and avoid smaller manufactures?

• Level 5*

Hi.  It doesn't matter much which phone you get,  if it's a more modern one with Android 10+ you'll be installing the new v10 version of the Android app rather than the (presumably) 8.13.3 version you're currently using.  v10 is the only version that will be available to you from the Play store,  though it is possible - with some fiddling - to find the older version online and install it as a 'sideload'.  A few users are reporting that 8.13 will no longer work with the latest Android version.  and others report that v10 is horribly slow;  so you're between a rock and a hard place if you do a lot of scanning.

On the other hand there are dozens of separate apps that will scan documents,  including one from Adobe called (suprisingly) "Adobe Scan".

So I'd say - go buy your phone based on whatever methods you choose.  Try Evernote out* and if that's no longer practical,  use Adobe Scan - which uses the device camera - for your scans.  Evernote need not be active while you scan - you just then share scans back to Evernote.

* I hope you realise that to 'transfer' your account,  all you need do is install the Evernote app from the Play Store and log in.  Evernote will supply your notes from the server.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

If I use my phone to scan stuff to Evernote I use the CamScanner app. It produces better and more controlled results for the document and then can share the resulting PDF or jpg file to Evernote. The built in camera option in Evernote is OK but I find CamScanner to be better.  I'm sure that there are other apps that might do the same thing.

• Like 1

After many years of resisting moving from Android to iphone I finally made the change a few months ago.  I literally had nightmares about switching because I had been with Android for my entire life and thought the iphone was just for simpletons.  However, I was wrong and have never been so happy about a mobile device as I am with my iphone 13 pro.  I feel that my Evernote usage on this phone is pretty flawless and I can scan effortlessly into it either using a third party app, or the phone's camera or the scanning options within EN itself.  Overall I am much happier with the iphone on a general level than I have been with Android but I am specifically enjoying using EN much, much more on the iphone than before.  I can't explain it other than to say that EN just works seamlessly for me on iphone whereas I struggled with it on Android.  One of the issues may be is that there are many versions of android phones and each one has its idiosyncrasies.  Also, there are many versions of the android operating system and, when paired to the different versions of the phone, the EN operating milieu can vary considerably.  With iphones there are far fewer models and they all work identically.  Furthermore, there is basically only one operating system for all of them and EN has been able to figure out how to optimize this.  Just my two cents from a new fan boy!

• Like 2