All Skitch Notes 'View Only'

• Level 5*

Hi.  Do you have a library of existing Skitch notes you need to access?  Or are you just starting with Evernote?

If you have an existing library,  when did it stop working for you?  If you're just starting - Skitch is not the best note-taking app to run with...

On 3/3/2022 at 9:51 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Do you have a library of existing Skitch notes you need to access?  Or are you just starting with Evernote?

If you have an existing library,  when did it stop working for you?  If you're just starting - Skitch is not the best note-taking app to run with...

I've been an evernote user since before 2008. A Skitch user most of that time too. Can't pinpoint when it transitioned to read-only by default. For sure more than a year ago.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, tpellegrino said:

Can't pinpoint when it transitioned to read-only by default. For sure more than a year ago.

Maybe when the new v10 came out?  That would have been around 2 yrs.  If you're making handwritten/ drawn notes it would obviously be better now to find something other than Skitch to use - various options have been discussed in the forums,  and I'm sure you'll find a ton of suggestions with a general web search.  You'll presumably want to look out for integration with Evernote - don't know if there are any useful suggestions here: http://appcenter.evernote.com/

-And when you have a candidate,  maybe you can check to see whether it's possible to export or copy/ paste from Skitch in case you need to edit or combine notes at some stage.

Meantime if anyone else is using Skitch with v10 - are there any issues out there?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 6:59 AM, gazumped said:

Maybe when the new v10 came out?  That would have been around 2 yrs.  If you're making handwritten/ drawn notes it would obviously be better now to find something other than Skitch to use - various options have been discussed in the forums,  and I'm sure you'll find a ton of suggestions with a general web search.  You'll presumably want to look out for integration with Evernote - don't know if there are any useful suggestions here: http://appcenter.evernote.com/

-And when you have a candidate,  maybe you can check to see whether it's possible to export or copy/ paste from Skitch in case you need to edit or combine notes at some stage.

Meantime if anyone else is using Skitch with v10 - are there any issues out there?

I'm having the same issue, not sure when it started as I don't use the sync option from Skitch that often.  Is there a way to fix this?

Skitch notes are Read-Only when viewed in Evernote. You would need to download and install Skitch.app on your Mac (the only place it's available) in order to edit your snaps. If you'd just like to edit the titles of your notes, or move them, you can do that in the Evernote Legacy app.

I hope that helps! If I can be of additional assistance, let me know.

Edited by macfixer
spelling
  • 3 months later...

I just took a screenshot and then went into Evernote to change the title and add some text for context. Only to discover I couldn't do that because the note is locked. OK, I thought, I'll just duplicate it and make the changes to the copy. But the duplicated note is also locked.

This is ridiculous. If Skitch is supposed to work with Evernote, we should be able to use Evernote's tools to make it findable. Otherwise, what's the point of saving Skitch notes in Evernote?

I've been an Evernote user for many, many, many years and a Skitch user for a number of years. This is the first time I've ever tried to edit a screenshot in Evernote and I was surprised that there's no way to do it. Evernote please fix this!

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Sheila Ruth said:

I just took a screenshot and then went into Evernote to change the title and add some text for context

Is there a reason you're not using Evernote's built-in screenshot tools,  or Clipper for this purpose?  Skitch was released years ago and it appears it isn't fully compatible with v10,  hence the locked notes...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Sheila Ruth said:

I just took a screenshot and then went into Evernote to change the title and add some text for context

Is there a reason you're not using Evernote's built-in screenshot tools,  or Clipper for this purpose?  Skitch was released years ago and it appears it isn't fully compatible with v10,  hence the locked notes...

• Level 5

Skitch content can only be modified in Skitch. It is a separate app, and EN does not have the tools build in to alter a Skitch document.

No, this is not customer friendly, and as @gazumped explained a left over from the „old“ EN buying other apps and companies, but not integrating them completely.

I rather avoid Skitch, at least on the Mac.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 1:08 PM, gazumped said:

I don't know, I've just used Skitch for a long time and it's just a natural part of my workflow. I don't remember why or when I started using it, but I don't think Evernote had built in screenshot tools at the time and they were promoting Skitch for that purpose. I wasn't even really aware that it does now, but I'll look into it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The screenshot tool is in the menu bar helper, behind the elephant icon.

Personally I use the app Shottr for taking screenshots. It installs into the menu bar as well, and has more options than Skitch. It just doesn’t save directly into EN.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The screenshot tool is in the menu bar helper, behind the elephant icon.

Personally I use the app Shottr for taking screenshots. It installs into the menu bar as well, and has more options than Skitch. It just doesn’t save directly into EN.

Thanks @PinkElephantfor the Shottr mention.  I had never heard of this app before.  I had been using CleanShot X for scrolling capture but Shottr is better.  I added a dedicated screen shot notebook to Evernote and a screen shot Evernote import folder to my desktop.  So this is a better workflow than I had before.  Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I discovered Shottr more or less by accident. It even has a blurring tool - this was my main use of Skitch before I switched. Together with an import folder it makes for a nice workflow. You can define the Screenshot folder into which Shottr is saving as import folder. Then every screenshot will end in EN - which is why I have a manual step in between.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 7/20/2022 at 9:44 PM, Sheila Ruth said:

I don't know, I've just used Skitch for a long time and it's just a natural part of my workflow. I don't remember why or when I started using it, but I don't think Evernote had built in screenshot tools at the time and they were promoting Skitch for that purpose. I wasn't even really aware that it does now, but I'll look into it.

Exactly. Skitch was a great tool. Then Evernote bought it and basically ignored it and just made it this clunky, half-a**ed integration that makes little sense from a usability standpoint. This is typical of Evernote, tbh. Don't give a sh*t about legacy users of either tool, but they have me held captive because of my extensive library in both apps. I keep threatening to leave, but that will take a lot of time and a herculean effort to migrate my stuff...and they know it, so they just continue to go their merry way and scr*w all of us who have been on board practically since the beginning. 

• Level 5

You just need to take a look at Skitch to know how outdated it was. The annotation tools were probably the clumsiest ever invented, the pixel graphics of annotation text just ridiculous. If you ask me, they did humankind a service by taking it offline.

About the attitude towards legacy users, I don’t think there is any. You sidelined yourself by sticking to unsupported software. Why should your personal hobby to run ancient code bother others ? The future of the service is elsewhere, that’s were the focus is. You dropped yourself off the screen.

Don‘t expect any attention now when the time is up, just do what you want. There is a clear migration path to v10. Take it, or take care of an alternative. 11 days and counting.

20 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You just need to take a look at Skitch to know how outdated it was. The annotation tools were probably the clumsiest ever invented, the pixel graphics of annotation text just ridiculous. If you ask me, they did humankind a service by taking it offline.

About the attitude towards legacy users, I don’t think there is any. You sidelined yourself by sticking to unsupported software. Why should your personal hobby to run ancient code bother others ? The future of the service is elsewhere, that’s were the focus is. You dropped yourself off the screen.

Don‘t expect any attention now when the time is up, just do what you want. There is a clear migration path to v10. Take it, or take care of an alternative. 11 days and counting.

Evernote has shown disdain for legacy users for years in a variety ways. You don't have to agree with me if your experience hasn't been the same, but there's really no need to mount a personal attack on me regarding my "personal hobby." Skitch has always been ugly as sin, but at the time Evernote purchased it, it was a perfectly usable and the code was obviously valuable to them. For my purposes, it has continued to work fine and is a standard part of my workflow for quick and dirty communication/capture.  If you're gonna kill something, kill it. Then I'll move on, because sure—there are a multitude of alternatives and I will begrudgingly switch to one of them. But don't half-ass it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, siouxzieb said:

Evernote has shown disdain for legacy users for years in a variety ways

Can't argue with you that deprecating the product suggests a certain disdain,  but I think that was for the 20-year old code rather than the users.  They did,  after all,  provide a shiny new v10 for everyone to move into...  (OK the first year was rubbish,  but even I moved over eventually...)

• Level 5

As already posted, Shottr replaced Skitch within 5 minutes after I installed and tested it.

It does everything, plus a lot more, with new code, a clean interface and optically impressive results. Just one example: The Blur tool lets me choose between options, for example to blur text only. Try this in Skitch:

image.png.c8dda97b609911fe4ad1f3d7c3ba65dd.png

Killing outdated code is not disrespect - it is a sign to take on responsibility. Not maintained code is a disaster waiting to happen - especially in the case of Skitch that has its own access to the cloud storage.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 6:53 PM, PinkElephant said:

As already posted, Shottr replaced Skitch within 5 minutes after I installed and tested it.

It does everything, plus a lot more, with new code, a clean interface and optically impressive results. Just one example: The Blur tool lets me choose between options, for example to blur text only. Try this in Skitch:

image.png.c8dda97b609911fe4ad1f3d7c3ba65dd.png

Killing outdated code is not disrespect - it is a sign to take on responsibility. Not maintained code is a disaster waiting to happen - especially in the case of Skitch that has its own access to the cloud storage.

I've now tried Shottr and good things, but not everything I get out of Skitch. The instant OCR is great though. And for the record, if you're gonna kill the code, kill it. Don't leave it half-assedly lurking around, officially supported but ignored, and to your point, not-maintained.