Where Store Evernote Database Locally on Windows 11

Hi guys

i'm newly update my evernote app version from 6.25 to 10.31
i want to know how to backup evernote database as manually folder backup

in version 6.25 i was backup my database in the path c:\users\%username%\evernote

where from can i backup evernote database folder locally ?

as i search on the internet to backup database locally, i found this path where evernote's database C:\Users[PC Name]\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases.

i want to be sure is this the path true to backup evernote database

thanks for your advice...

evernote.png

• Evernote Expert

v10 is not like the old 'Legacy' application. The true copy of the data is in the cloud. You can retain the data directory but it may not be a helpful exercise. I'm not convinced that it provides a true, complete, 'backup' of your data if only because it is continuously synchronising with the cloud.

If, for your own purposes, you want to store a copy of the data directory then you will find it at %AppData%\Evernote

If you search these forums you will find many discussions of making copies of the local data directory...

• Level 5*

Hi.   Basically - what @agsteele said; but I was in the middle of using a lot more words when he said it - :D so:

Do you need a backup?  The online protections provide a couple of layers:

1. Your local Evernote data is already backed up to Evernote's servers in the Cloud.
  2. The servers themselves are backed up regularly - so (for subscribers) any existing note can be restored to its former content at any stage.
  3. Even free users have some level of protection - the backups are ongoing,  so it's possible to subscribe and have access to note history at any time.

- But there is a gap - lost / deleted notes will not have backups or history.

It's a little more difficult than you might think to create a proper local back up of the data.  In Evernote Legacy,  copying the Databases folder is better than nothing*;  but ideally in both Legacy and v10 you should be exporting your individual notebooks to separate ENEX files.  In Legacy that's easy - you have a local copy of your entire database.  In v10 it's somewhat less so - your notebooks need to be downloaded as ENEX files from the Desktop client Notebooks page,  so connection speed is a factor.  It's not a good idea to save a complete account to an ENEX file - while notes can retain their tags,  notebook connections are not saved**.  

ENEX files can be used to import a complete notebook as and when necessary.  Imported notebooks initially go into a special 'imported' notebook so one or more specific notes could be restored from the backup to an existing notebook,  or the whole thing can be replaced.

In v10 the 'local' database is saved in a format that (AFAIK) is NOT useful to anyone other than Evernote.  It's a temporary file,  used by the app to allow offline working and generally speed up operations.  There is an option to discard the contents when exiting Evernote.  The file will be rebuilt when the app is opened again.  AFAIK there's no point in having a copy - if you reinstalled Evernote and restored this file,  it would simply be overwritten with existing content when Evernote connects to the server.

Although the idea of exporting every. single. notebook.  to an ENEX file may sound daunting,  it's possible to automate the process in Legacy with scripting or by using third party software like Backupery (Windows) or CloudHQ.  v10 doesn't (yet) allow scripting.  CloudHQ works with the server copy of the database so should still work with v10.  Both Backupery and CloudHQ are subscription products.

For information: Evernote Legacy will run alongside v10 and is automatically synced up to date with all changes.  I'm currently running Backupery to automatically (and invisibly to me) export something like 300 notebooks and 57,000 notes to separate ENEX files.

* It's possible to replace a new 'empty' Databases folder with an existing copy but when syncing,  the server will overwrite any notes for which it has more recent content.

** Tag every note in each notebook with the name of its parent notebook,  then save the whole account to a single ENEX file.  After importing the contents,  the notes can be re-sorted into separate notebooks using the tags.

• Level 5

AFAIK the local folder on a desktop computer (path see above) can be used as a backup. To restore the EN client must be used - it has a proprietary format that is only partially readable by other apps. But I do not see this as a major problem - it is typical for a backup restore that you need the apps that can handle the files to make use of it. My Apple numbers spreadsheets can not be opened by MS Excel - I need an install of Numbers to open the files from the backup.

Export to ENEX can be read by more apps - but it is build to export data one time, not to run a frequent backup.