(Archived) Mac 2.0 Alpha 2

Philip Constantinou

Idea

Hi folks -

We've got another big update for the Mac 2.0 Alpha - release 2. This version includes much better integration with sharing features, lots of bug fixes and sync improvements and some interface improvements.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is Alpha software, which means it is less stable and has a higher likelihood of corrupting your data than the Beta software that Evernote can upgrade to automatically. This Alpha incorporates some very significant under-the-hood changes. If something goes wrong, you may lose whatever you were working on and/or you may need to re-downsync your entire account database. We do not recommend trying this Alpha unless you are comfortable experimenting with Alpha software and are willing to deal with the potential frustration. For these reasons, we request that users refrain from promoting the Alpha outside of the Evernote Forum at this time.

Give it a try:

• [*:1tfmt545]Download the latest version of the alpha at
http://s.evernote.com/mac2preview (this URL has been updated)
[*:1tfmt545]Completely exit Evernote if it is currently running (including the Menu Bar clipper)
[*:1tfmt545]Unzip the file, if necessary, and replace the current copy of Evernote with the version you downloaded
[*:1tfmt545]Start Evernote

Depending on the version of Evernote you're currently using there's a fairly long migration process.

Please come back to the forum periodically for updates.

Most importantly please provide your feedback on the forum and if you encounter bugs please report them at:

http://s.evernote.com/macbug

9 replies to this idea

Looking better! I did notice that the first time I clicked on the "saved searches" header in the left pane, it caused the "notebooks" and "tags" sections to completely disappear. Everything sorted itself out after expanding and collapsing the lists a couple of times, though ...

We've got another big update for the Mac 2.0 Alpha - release 2. This version includes much better integration with sharing features, lots of bug fixes and sync improvements and some interface improvements.

. . .

Download the latest version of the alpha at http://s.evernote.com/mac2preview (this URL has been updated)

Thanks for the update.

My system did not automatically update even though I had the prefs set to auto check for updates and update to Beta.

So is the Alpha supposed to update only via manual update?

To those who have been using the alpha: is it "safe" for daily use? Is it crashy, etc?

I only ask because my school's IT department is reluctant to install it for us because it's an alpha. They have said if it was a beta they'd do it, but they're worried about alphas. Should I push a little harder or is it not ready for our teachers to use?

Thanks.

To those who have been using the alpha: is it "safe" for daily use? Is it crashy, etc?

I only ask because my school's IT department is reluctant to install it for us because it's an alpha. They have said if it was a beta they'd do it, but they're worried about alphas. Should I push a little harder or is it not ready for our teachers to use?

Thanks.

Speaking only for myself, of course: the current alpha felt very stable to me.

That said, though ... I used it for a little while and then returned to the most recent 1.x release. I did that not because I had any specific doubts about the alpha build, but because I think it's wise to be generally cautious about any software that has auto-syncronization abilities. Though the possibility is remote, a synchronization error could cause major data loss ... and that's something to keep in mind when using early builds of software that accesses the cloud.

Archived