Remove this ***** slow java electron tech stack or fix the speed

• Level 5

Just as a matter of fact: It is the front end (the desktop clients) that are running on Electron, not the backend, which is the server software.

The hint to legacy by @gazumped tells the whole story: You can decide between an end-of-life client, natively coded that was brought down by its own weight, or a framework based client showing rapid development, that is obviously the future of EN.

You may not like this future, and then it may be time to continue on separate tracks.

• Level 5*
On 12/3/2021 at 4:11 PM, PinkElephant said:

Just as a matter of fact: It is the front end (the desktop clients) that are running on Electron, not the backend, which is the server software.

Just wondering which of the two causes the lags in updates.  Maybe the lags were always there and the native client insulated us from them?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The native client ran primarily from the local database. This was AFAIK a different ballgame, mainly depending on the host computers resources.

Yeah. I’m going back to that.  I’ve exported all notes to OneDrive at this point using HTML export.  EN HTML export has some warts but  it provides a good repository.  Windows indexing to enable a very fast search.  Directory Opus and Workflowy to complete the ensemble.  With a little AHK to grease the skids.  Not as good as 6.25.1 but WAY WAY better than V10, my use case.  

Premium sub will lapse this month.  A shame but it is what it is at this point.  🤷‍♂️  I don’t think new EN is geared to larger accounts. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Oh well - it still runs fine for me, but I have not that stellar note count yet. So I can’t tell firsthand if I will hit a glass ceiling one day.

OneNote will never be a choice for me. I disliked it when I tried. Plus I don’t use paid Microsoft products - my tiny free OneDrive doesn’t count as such, since I don‘t pay for it.

Since I am on a Mac, I have better options anyhow. Upscaling would be DEVONThink, downsizing probably Apple Notes. But currently I do fine with a lot of v10, seconded by a little legacy from time to time.

Wish you luck with your transition.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

OneNote will never be a choice for me. I disliked it when I tried. Plus I don’t use paid Microsoft products - my tiny free OneDrive doesn’t count as such, since I don‘t pay for it.

To be clear I created my repository on OneDrive, it supports syncing and backup.  Being a 365 subscriber the 1 TB provided therein makes for a simple choice.  Side note, the EN HTML backup includes tags so searches of those files are virtually the same as before, without the tag prefix parameter.  New "notes" are all PDF files so global searches are text based.  On some of the new file names I do add a single tag for winnowing the results list when need be, [Stmt] for example.  The folder structure is bifurcated to old EN and new stuff as well.

Me too on OneNote, no value at all.  Ditto for the others - Nimbus, Joplin, Notion, etal.  Windows desktop 6.25.1 is still the best product on the market today, IMHO.

Also, to be clear, I would rather not have done this.  But V10 is just so SLOW and cumbersome for me.  😥  I've been using EN since November 2008 so not a step I took lightly.  Thanks for the well wishes, same to you.

• Like 3