Primary Notebook is missing

I just found that my primary notebook is now missing which had over 100 notes. I have a secondary notebook which I never use and I can get into it, but I need the missing notebook because of the passwords, etc. Do you know how I can find it on my Android? I followed the Help suggestion and never did find Settings, Account Info on my Android phone using the three dots. I remember once before seeing both notebooks listed and that I could choose which I wanted to use for my Notes. I hope that you can help because I find no way to Contact a live person with Evernote.

Michael B.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I'm sure you could do this on an Android device but I think you will find it much easier on a full size computer. Somehow the larger screen size seems to make searching for missing stuff easier.

Also, logging on with a different device might reveal the missing items.  This kind of issue can, occasionaly, be that the device isn't synchronising correctly.

First of all have you checked in the Trash Folder? It is possible that the default notebook has been deleted in error.

You can certainly check which folder is default in your settings.  On Android go to the setting menu, Notebooks.  You'll see the default notebook named.  If the name shown is the missing notebook then I'd say it isn't missing.

In that case log out. Uninstall the app. Then reinstall and log back in.  That might resolve the issue.

As for lost passwords... I'm sure you are not the only person to store passwords in an Evernote note but this may not be the best thing.  Many of us would recommend a standalone password manager. There are many available.  I, personally, prefer Keepass and use the Keepass2Android app but others are available.

As for contacting Evernote support...

https://evernote.com/contact If you are a subscriber you can follow the link to additional support options which include live chat during office hours. In the Android app you also have Settings. Support and Submit a support request.

Non-paying users can use the Twitter supprt channel @evernotehelps

• Like 1

Agsteele, thanks for your prompt response. I have never used Evernote on my computer, only my Android Samsung Galaxy S21. I did download the Evernote.com to my computer today, got signed in finally, and found the Trash and there were only five items there, all very old. There is one default notebook which is not the one that I used or want. I am not finding Settings in Evernote on my PC or in Evernote on my Android; whus up with that? I suppose that I will try an uninstall of Evernote on my Android phone, download again and see what happens. Failing therein, I will probably look into KeepPass2 for Android, or some such PW keeper. The loss of this notebook is absolutely horrible for me, and I was just about to get a Evernote subscription with their 40% discount offer, but not now.

Thank you,

Michael

• Level 5

EN is cloud based. What is really important is how your server database looks like.

There is only one way to check this: Open Evernote.com, log in, and after a little wait to load your notes you see what is on the server.

The downside for free users is that the web client counts as a device - so with mobile and web you are already using the 2 devices allowed under the Free plan. But you see what is saved on the server - the master copy for all other devices.

If notes are missing here found on your mobile client, syncing took a shot. You may then try to get these notes somehow moved to the server - maybe possible by copying them and then forcing a sync. 

Is it missing everywhere? MIne was 'missing' on Android because of some glitch with the default notebook, but it was still there on Windows and web. 

Also, if you have stacks, look through all of them. It's easy to drag a notebook under another by accident. 

• Like 1

dbvirago, thanks for your reply. My primary notebook is missing on my Android phone and in Windows on my PC. I never had Evernote on my PC until yesterday when I was advised it would be easier to try and work out this situation on a PC rather than the phone. When I went to Evernote on my PC and logged in I found the second notebook with 38 notes and which I seldom used. The notebook I am missing had well over 150 notes. I recall from the past of seeing both of the notebooks names available, but I always used the missing one. I never went into the app to do anything so I know that I did not delete the notebook. I am not finding Settings in the Android or PC apps so am not able to follow advise of my first helper Agsteele. I am not familiar with stacks. As to Pink Elephant reply, I get notices that I need to only have two devices, but I only use one, so I delete what they show that I have no need for and then still end up with just my Android. Now I'll have two because I have EN on my PC now. I cant find the notes to move to the cloud server. Question: what password keeper/notes manager would you recommend from your user experience?

Thanks very much for your help.

Michael

• Evernote Expert

@mkbolton42 Michael, Let's have another go at helping you...

All this advice presumes that you are using Evernote version 10 on PC and ANDROID.

On your PC... Have you checked the Trash folder at the bottom of the black background sidebar?  Are your lost notes there?

On the Android device... The settings are found in the main menu (the three horizontal lines at the bottom of Evernote in Android).  If you have no settings there then you have a significant issue. Inside Settings you'll see the Notebooks item and in there the default notebook by name.

I said that I use KeePass for passwords but you may find Lastpass more straightforward.

Agsteele, thanks for your prompt response. The Trash folder is empty. It had five old notes that I deleted this morning, none having anything to do with my lost notebook, which by the way is my gmail address. My other notebook is my primary Microsoft Outlook address.

On my Android, I open EN, go to the bottom of the Good Afternoon screen to the three horizontal bars, open that and this is what I find: Home; Shortcuts; Notes; Tasks; Notebooks (with the down arrow head) and which has mkbolton42'... and (36) behind it. (there is no frog'...@gmail.com, the missing notebook name); and New Notebook in green text; Tags; Shared with Me; Trash.  I have looked in all of them and there is no missing notebook. There is no Settings to be found.  The same holds true for EN.com on my PC. I downloaded this app to my PC yesterday and am seeing pretty much the same thing as on my Android. I don't know what version of EN I am using but did see something earlier that I could go back to the old or get a new version. Does any of this make any sense to you? Also, I am a free user so I suspect that Customer Support will not deal with me.

Thanks once again Agsteele,

Michael

Agsteele ,this could be interesting and helpful. I have my old LG G6 phone and I have EN on that phone. When I purchased the new Samsung S21 phone last February, AT&T copied programs over to my new phone. When I started using EN that had been copied to the Samsung, all was good. Today I opened the LG, went to EN and sure enough, there was my froghai... @gmail.com missing Notebook with 128 notes. Do you suppose that I could take my phones to AT&T and they could copy the old EN on the LG phone over to the Samsung and it would actually work again?

Thanks,

Michael

• Level 5

All of your EN data rests on the EN server. 

Better to say: All of your synced EN data.

Before taking any action let us check first whether this notebook is on the server. To check, open a browser, go to evernote.com and log in (option is top right). 

It will load a little, and then show your notebooks and notes. 

Is your missing notebook there ?