Using legacy (6.25.x) and latest gen (10.x) parallel on Windows 10?

This is both technical and fundamental topic for me.

I have been Evernote premium user since... well, 5+ years. I know it ain't super long, but for me, Evernote "legacy" (6.25.x) has proven it's point, power and it just works for me.

I have been browsing and reading user feedback from 10.x and might give it a try eventually (just to make sure e.g. security is up-to-date). Now my questions are:

• Can I install Evernote 10.x on Windows 10 AND still keep my 6.25.x there (= does not mess / remove that installation)?
  • Can I use, yes this is tricky, the SAME database on both versions and even ditch the 10.x at later point?

On tablet / mobile (Android) I have the 10.x version in use.

Appreciated.

//Timo

• Like 1
  • Level 5

To your first question: Here is how 

Second question: v10 and Legacy use different databases. Legacy runs on the local database, and syncs to the cloud server. V10 runs on the server, and only keeps local data for offline use.

And to support the new features like calendar and tasks, the v10 database is not the same any more.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

And to support the new features like calendar and tasks, the v10 database is not the same any more.

Just to be clear - the separate databases both sync with the server,  so contain the same information in so far as it is relevant to the respective versions of Evernote.  I run 6.25 too,  with the web at 10.x,  and tasks (forinstance) show as a blank grey box in 6.25.

• Thanks 1

Thx for the answers, so...

1) If I install 10.x, I can access my existing legacy 6.25.x database with 10.x aka start using my 'current' data BUT

2) After accessing old legacy db with 10.x, I can no longer use that with 6.25.x?

Or how does the logic go?

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, tjsuominen said:

2) After accessing old legacy db with 10.x, I can no longer use that with 6.25.x?

Incorrect.  Sorry if I explained it badly.  Any changes you make in 10.x will appear, if they can,  in 6.25;  which is to say you won't see Calendar entries / tasks or any of the new features that are not supported by Evernote.  Think of it as having two local databases that both feed off one Server 'parent' copy.  All the changes are saved in one place,  it's just that some won't sync to 6.25.

NB That's true for the moment - Evernote will continue to develop 10.x and may someday reach a point at which the two become incompatible. It just hasn't happened yet,  and seems unlikely for the near future.  It's unknown what will be available in 12 months' time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@tjsuominen, your other option is to retain v6.25 and trial v10 via the web app, which has mostly the same functionality.  I'm doing this right now on one of my laptops, primarily because the v6.25 retains the ability to set and edit note locations manually and batch operations like moving and retagging can be undertaken on large numbers of notes and are still much faster than in v10.

• Level 5

@tjsuominen The two clients are completely separate.

The legacy client has ist own database. It works primarily on that database, and syncs changes from there with the EN server.

The v10 client has an own database, it works however mainly directly with the server. Because of this, there is no manual sync function.

Both can be installed side by side and even used side by side (avoid opening the same note on both at the same time). The data never meets on the local machine, it is only matched on the EN server.

New features are only available on the new version.

tjsuominen,

Forgive me, but I'm going to tag onto the end of this.

If V10, Legacy and web are all working from the EN server, albeit with different levels of local storage. Why do the different versions show different note totals?

I work mainly in Legacy, this has 42,627 notes currently, V10, on the same computer (Win10) has 41,679 notes, web is showing 42,567! Why the big discrepancy?

I'm also finding that V10 is not syncing, I have had the app open on my computer for over 24 hours, it does not have any notes showing from before Aug 13. I have an additional 151 notes in Legacy since the last one showing in V10. What's happening to the 'automatic' sync?

I managed to catch up with the recent Harmon Enterprises webinar last night and I was impressed with the new Tasks functionality. It looks similar to something I've been searching for years, and I was thinking of upgrading frm my legacy Evernote Premium to Professional. It's not a possibility until I can ensure that all my notes are available in V10.

I look forward to the answers.

Many thanks for any assistance provide.

• Level 5

The usual „culprit“ of different note counts is legacy. It runs off a local database, where sync errors can accumulate.

Hold down ctrl/strg (if I remember it correctly for Windows) before clicking on the help menu. You get additional options, that have to do with fixing database errors. Use them, but one after the other, and wait the prior one to run through before selecting the next.

A second source of differences may be shared notes and notebooks. If you have received shares, you need to reactivate them in v10 before they are counted. This usually can be done from Work Chat, by clicking on the sharing message.

If v10 is not syncing, what works in most cases is log out, quit the app (not only close it with the „X“), restart it an log back in. If this does. It do the job, there is an extended procedure. Usually you just need it once, if data got stuck and Blocks the syncing.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Windows generally uses Ctrl+ another key to make 'special' selections - if you are having sync issues,  you should see a red "!" on the sync icon - Ctrl+clicking on that may get you more information about the issues.  Also check for local notebook and Trash notebook entries which may vary between versions.

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/111069-how-to-identify-a-local-notebook/

31 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Windows generally uses Ctrl+ another key to make 'special' selections - if you are having sync issues,  you should see a red "!" on the sync icon - Ctrl+clicking on that may get you more information about the issues.  Also check for local notebook and Trash notebook entries which may vary between versions.

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/111069-how-to-identify-a-local-notebook/

V10 doesn't have a sync icon, the only way I know it's having sync issues is because I'm missing lots of notes.

• Level 5

If you take a closer look at the v10 program window, at the bottom right there is a text (in light grey, somewhat hard to see) that usually says „All changes have been synced“. It may change briefly to another text while an interaction is running, but will usually revert to this.

From my experience the sync from the v10 client up to the EN server works pretty good. The downsync from the server to the client sometimes ran late, up to 30min. You can check what is on the server through the web client.

48 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The usual „culprit“ of different note counts is legacy. It runs off a local database, where sync errors can accumulate.

Hold down ctrl/strg (if I remember it correctly for Windows) before clicking on the help menu. You get additional options, that have to do with fixing database errors. Use them, but one after the other, and wait the prior one to run through before selecting the next.

A second source of differences may be shared notes and notebooks. If you have received shares, you need to reactivate them in v10 before they are counted. This usually can be done from Work Chat, by clicking on the sharing message.

If v10 is not syncing, what works in most cases is log out, quit the app (not only close it with the „X“), restart it an log back in. If this does. It do the job, there is an extended procedure. Usually you just need it once, if data got stuck and Blocks the syncing.

I fail to see how Legacy can be the culprit when it's V10 that's missing all the notes. I have the emails from this forum automatically forwarded to Evernote, they're all showing in Legacy and web versions, none of them have appeared in V10.

I've tried the fix of logging out and quitting (twice), I've even done it a thrid time and rebooted the computer between re-starting, v10 is not syncing locally.

The only note, since August 13th to sync between all versions is the new Things to do note that v10 creates when you activate Tasks. This was created an hour ago and is showing in all three versions.

I'm going to try uninstalling v10 and doing a fresh install. If that doesn't work I might need the extended procedure....

The ctrl/strg, by the way, appears to do a full refresh of the app, but it doesn't reveal the missing notes.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you take a closer look at the v10 program window, at the bottom right there is a text (in light grey, somewhat hard to see) that usually says „All changes have been synced“. It may change briefly to another text while an interaction is running, but will usually revert to this.

From my experience the sync from the v10 client up to the EN server works pretty good. The downsync from the server to the client sometimes ran late, up to 30min. You can check what is on the server through the web client.

It says 'All changes saved'. I'll give the re-install a go and see if that has any effect.

Thanks for the help.

• Level 5

About the database fixes, try <shift> instead. I just remember it is not alt/opt, because this is used on my Mac. 

About trouble shooting a v10 client:

1. Go to the first (File ?) menu, Preferences, and uncheck the option „Keep data on leaving“.
  2. Now log out of EN, quit the app (not only closing by the „X“) and restart the PC.
  3. Open the app again, log in, wait using it to let the initial sync run undisturbed.

This should work. If not, the next step would be a full uninstall, using a tool like Revo Uninstaller.

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

About the database fixes, try <shift> instead. I just remember it is not alt/opt, because this is used on my Mac. 

About trouble shooting a v10 client:

1. Go to the first (File ?) menu, Preferences, and uncheck the option „Keep data on leaving“.
  2. Now log out of EN, quit the app (not only closing by the „X“) and restart the PC.
  3. Open the app again, log in, wait using it to let the initial sync run undisturbed.

This should work. If not, the next step would be a full uninstall, using a tool like Revo Uninstaller.

Okay, that appears to have worked somewhat.

Slight change to your instructions for Win10;

I unticked 'Save data at logout' on Tools | Preferences and then using File | Sign out, I also unticked 'Remove my Evernote data from this device' then 'Sign out' and File | Quit Evernote from the final screen. When I restarted V10 the note count is fine between v10 and web, but I've still got about 60 extra notes in Legacy.

I'll keep an eye on the sync oer the next couple of weeks and see how it performs going forward.

Thanks for the help.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, kthawkins said:

tjsuominen,

Forgive me, but I'm going to tag onto the end of this.

If V10, Legacy and web are all working from the EN server, albeit with different levels of local storage. Why do the different versions show different note totals?

I work mainly in Legacy, this has 42,627 notes currently, V10, on the same computer (Win10) has 41,679 notes, web is showing 42,567! Why the big discrepancy?

I'm also finding that V10 is not syncing, I have had the app open on my computer for over 24 hours, it does not have any notes showing from before Aug 13. I have an additional 151 notes in Legacy since the last one showing in V10. What's happening to the 'automatic' sync?

I managed to catch up with the recent Harmon Enterprises webinar last night and I was impressed with the new Tasks functionality. It looks similar to something I've been searching for years, and I was thinking of upgrading frm my legacy Evernote Premium to Professional. It's not a possibility until I can ensure that all my notes are available in V10.

I look forward to the answers.

Many thanks for any assistance provide.

I only have a discrepancy between Web (22561) and the Windows legacy version (22567) of only six notes, but I tracked one down to see.  It was a note that had been shared with me via Workchat that is unavailable, but still shows up in the legacy version.  I do recall in the past that shared notes were counted (or not counted) differently between platforms. 

Weirdly, the same account on three different Android devices returns 22514, 22543 and 22555 notes!

• Level 5

My v10 clients all show the same count, and my legacy is off by 1 note.

The main driver of differences in my case were the shared notes in first place (my wife and me are sharing quite large notebooks, and they needed to be reconnected, sort of, before showing in the count), and a few were solved by cleaning the legacy database (again).

If the legacy database was never repaired, my experience is that a lot of clutter is building up there. Legacy is hyped by some here, but the separate database as an in between to the server has its downs as it has its benefits.

• Like 1