Create a Desktop Link/Shortcut Directly to a Note or File

Is it possible to create a link to a note on your desktop? What about to a file in a note? I have an excel file I access regularly and right now I open Evernote, navigate to the note from my Evernote shortcuts and open the file in Excel by clicking on the file in my Evernote note. 

I'm wondering if there's a way to create a desktop shortcut that will directly open the note (from which I can open the excel file) or even better, if I can create a desktop shortcut that will open the excel file from Evernote directly in Excel?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 7/18/2021 at 11:41 AM, hexatronn said:

if I can create a desktop shortcut that will open the excel file from Evernote directly in Excel?

As per @gazumped, use the copy in-app link and create a desktop shortcut to open the note

No, the excel file can not be opened directly by the shortcut   
The spreadsheet exists as a note attachment in the Evernote database    
- it has to be exported as a OS file to be opened by Excel

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
13 minutes ago, DTLow said:

No, the excel file can not be opened directly by the shortcut

Oops! missed that bit.  ...Although if quick/ frequent access to that file is important you could consider saving it to a cloud server (Google Docs,  et al) and adding a link to that file to your desktop.  It'll open up immediately.

You can still have a link in your notes too,  which will work from other locations;  but the desktop link will be quick and easy from that device.  (Evernote isn't always the best home for your files...)  ^_^

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Oops! missed that bit.  ...Although if quick/ frequent access to that file is important you could consider saving it to a cloud server (Google Docs,  et al) and adding a link to that file to your desktop.  It'll open up immediately.

You can still have a link in your notes too,  which will work from other locations;  but the desktop link will be quick and easy from that device.  (Evernote isn't always the best home for your files...)  ^_^

Most of my important Excel files are on cloud storage (OneDrive in my case, it's an IQ test what with the 1TB included  if you are an office user).  I have links to files in notes in EN. Reasons for all on cloud for me are I like a guaranteed backup after changes and there were some issues with corrupted Excel files containing pivot tables in the past within EN.

I use @gazumped's desktop link for one very often used spreadsheet.  The rest I access via the notes.  Not that much trouble as I always have EN open on the right monitor of a two monitor set up so they are all a shortcut click away.  FWIW.

Edit.  Full picture I use a 2 TB SSD USB drive and a 128 GB thumb drive as a D: drive for OneDrive.  2 TB attached to my main PC and 128 GB on my backup.  That way the links work from within EN no matter the machine I am using.  Obviously I don't fully sync OneDrive on the backup PC.  Again, FWIW.

• Level 5*

Storing the spreadsheet externally, with a file link in the note is a good solution   
I use file links in the Evernote Legacy product   
Unfortunately, file links are not supported in Evernote's v10 product

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Storing the spreadsheet externally, with a file link in the note is a good solution   
I use file links in the Evernote Legacy product   
Unfortunately, file links are not supported in Evernote's v10 product

For sure  I removed V10 from my backup PC for just this reason.  Not only does it not support links it kills any links in a note you visit.

Thanks for all of the tips. I explored the Google drive option, but found it isn't trivial to create a desktop shortcut that will open an excel file in Excel from Google drive without installing their backup and sync software that is a heavier solution that what I'm looking for. (or using the web-based Google sheets). I like how Evernote seamlessly lets you open an Excel file and save changes to it directly to the note. I haven't come across any issues with file corruption yet. 

I opted to create Classic Note Links (right-click note to get menu & hold option for classic link to open the note in the application rather than the web client) and created an automator script to run a /bin/bash script like so: 'open evernote:///view/1234...' (replacing 1234 with the classic note link). I tried to take it a step further and write a script that would open the excel file, but had no luck, but this works for now.

• Like 1