Please fix printing problems...

Bidou

Idea

For some reason, printing notes is still not working after months of updates.  When I print a multi-page note, [a] it is truncated after about 2.5 pages, [b] the scroll bars are printed too, [c] the font is different from the usual fonts, including the one of the screen, and [d] lines are truncated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

16 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

Printing IS dysfunctional in Evernote 10. It is one of a very few issues that remain for me. I have workarounds but that shouldn't be necessary. I am quietly hopeful that this is something that will receive attention.

I know that Fonts is a done deal. What we have now is what we will have in the future.  If you need a full featured editor then a word processor is probably a better option and, in truth, probably always was.

• Like 1

Having been a user/customer of Evernote for many years.  I have been forced onto the community forum only because I have experienced problems with the version of the software.  I can understand trying to make the system common across all platforms, but if that means there are losses to everybody, then is this direction correct?  

If somebody could sum the quantity of times that the recommended solution is to use the 'legacy' version, then perhaps there may be a rethink of the 'across all platforms' requirement.

However, I expect there will not be a change.  Suffice to say that when the legacy version is no longer functional (for whatever reason) and if fonts and printing are not resolved, then I'll be taking my subscription elsewhere. 

• Level 5

When - then - if - else - maybe ...

EN is well aware there are feature gaps in the new version - this is why they officially promote the use of legacy until these gaps are closed. This is not the target setup forever. But nobody should expect a complex software to fall out of the sky, ready and complete. We are still in a transition phase.

It is sure some features will not return, others (like the font selection) are linked to the editor and will likely not change neither.

If you think one of this is critical for you, you can make your migration right away. In all other cases it is probably better to use legacy as a stopgap, and wait for the final feature set of v10.

• Like 1

Print to a PDF does not work in dark mode for me. No text appears in the PDF. I've reported this during betas, using feedback surveys, and forum posts. Will try here as well.

If I had known about the issues with printing notes, I would not have upgraded to the new version.  I can live with the font issue.  But the screwed up formatting on the notes I print is really a pain.  The printed margins are too short.  Are we going to be given the ability to set our own formats for printing in the versions to come?  WIll preview of pdf's be again supported?

On 5/3/2021 at 2:28 AM, DWCashman said:

This needs to be fixed. I want to use Evernote to store my teaching notes I give out to students. As it is, I have to copy and paste it into Word, causing an unnecessary and annoying step. C'mon Evernote. If a basic word processor can do this, Evernote should be able to.

• Evernote Expert

I'm not troubled by the narrow margins - this isn't a Word Processor but I do expect that the text will be intact.  The top and bottom lines on each page are almost always cut in half when printed. I always export to PDF and then print from the PDF which mostly does an OK job.

• Level 5

As a workaround: If you use „Export note as a pdf …“ there is a better control of page properties like orientation, margins and the like. Then print the exported file.

Or install the legacy client, can be done and used in parallel to v10. It has better print controls.

On 9/4/2021 at 2:25 AM, ChuckWill said:

Wonder of wonders...I think that perhaps the printing problem and export to pdf problems just might have been fixed. I'm still testing it but it seems to have been resolved.

Will wonders never cease?

Nope , printing NOT fixed. Version 10.47.7 still has tiny margins and breaks off the last line of the page, to give the bottom of all the characters on the next page. I am using an older version of Evernote so I that I can print the same notes in the format they should be in.

• Evernote Expert

In my opinion, printing is the biggest issue for v10. I save to HTML and then print from inside a browser.  I used to retain Evernote Legacy to handle printing but since I probably don't print more than a couple of times a year the HTML step works for now.

• Like 1