Adding a note to a task instead of adding a task to a note

snsokstan

Idea

I keep sensitive documents outside of Evernote (at their recommendation).  

I would like to link an external documents to a task related to that document by copying the path to the document into the task. However, tasks don't seem to offer more than one line of text and they get kind of ugly when pasting in a long operating system path to the external documents.

I know I can embed a link back to EN from within the folder containing those documents but that's not the desired direction.

So any way to include text otherwise in a task or as a subtask?

• Like 2

10 replies to this idea

Thanks. I understand the design. I only wish it were a little different.

My hope was to be able to have a bit richer content in the task view.  

I like seeing all the tasks at one time, regardless which notebook they are in or if just in the inbox. But I find the current display--fragmented by location of task--to be less helpful. I don't see the ability to prioritize/move up or down  tasks in the all tasks view.  You can move them within the note they occur. A master sortable list would be nice.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

By design tasks are inside of notes, not the other way around.

You can create a project note, place a task in it, plus all the other stuff including your links to sensitive information. In this case the note works as a container of all information for the task.

The task will show in the task overview, no matter whether it is in the tasks note, or in its own note.

There is an interesting video in the „Behind the scenes“ series about tasks - you find it on YT.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, snsokstan said:

My hope was to be able to have a bit richer content in the task view.  

Can't help with the "task view"    
My notes are full of rich content   
I can add task(s) to that content

Yeah, that was very helpful. My search for this topic didn't turn up this thread.

Ian left this comment that isn't clear to me.

All tasks exist in notes.  You can create tasks direct from + icon at the top right of the Tasks drawer, but these aren't standalone tasks.  They end up in a full-fledged note as well (including a "default task note" we'll create called (in English) "Things to do" for all your tasks that don't have anywhere else to live).  But your default task note is a full-fledged note like any other - you can go edit it to your heart's content in the editor.

Tasks created without starting a note first go into the Things to Do note.  Yes, I can add text or whatever below or above a task but that just makes more clutter. Someone that other thread didn't like the clutter UX of the default task list.

As Task Notes in the Task List visually become dividers this can create a cluttered view..

Thanks for the advice. If there were a perfect task manager, there wouldn't be a bazillion task/GTD apps out there.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I see it like this:

A task in a specific note is like a to-do flag for this note, just more powerful. Instead of putting a note into a task, the note is there with the task.

Tasks in notes is the standard use case.

A task without a specific note goes into that standard task note, which is the home for task orphans.

Solitary tasks are the exception, made for smaller to dos, sort of errands.

All tasks meet in the tasks view in the client.

2 hours ago, snsokstan said:

Tasks created without starting a note first go into the Things to Do note.  Yes, I can add text or whatever below or above a task but that just makes more clutter.

If you need to add more context and information to a task it is easy enough to move the task to a new note after you create it. This prevents the default task note from becoming cluttered with additional text. 

• Like 1

Throughout my day, i go back to my overall task list--the one that slides out in the desktop app when you click on Tasks Early Access. To me, that view is cluttered as it's broken up by the headers of each note that contains a task. To see it all is 3 presses of the PageDown key for me

Seeing a list of just the tasks would be nice.

I love the ability to add tasks to notes. That's powerful. I just miss that consolidated 30,000 ft view that other task managers offer.

UI/UX is an important feature. That's why I've been with EN since Mar 2008 despite all the competitors.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, snsokstan said:

Seeing a list of just the tasks would be nice.

View the tasks in the Due Date tab

• Thanks 1