Can't encrypt notes with any significant formatting

Dear Evernote community:  wanted to see if anyone else is encountering this problem with Evernote.  When I create a note, if I use ANY sort of formatting (e.g. bold text, create bullet lists within the note, etc.), then I lose the ability to encrypt the note.  The encrypt function just seems to disappear.  I can select all the material in the note, but when I right click on the highlighted text, the encrypt function isn't present.

Any help with this?

Thanks

YT

• Evernote Expert

Your experience is absolutely what everyone experiences. You cannot encrypt formatted note content. It was similar in the Legacy version.

Bold text shouldn't be an issue (It isn't for me) but bullet lists, indents, tables all prevent the encryption.  It is the same in the old version of Evernote.  So nothing has changed from the past.

@gazumped suggests using an external editor which provides some form of password encryption which should do what you need. I prefer an external encryption program such AxCrypt but doing it externally is better since your encrypted content never exists in the cloud in a decrypted form which it does when editing in Evernote.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

As it was pointed out before the new version does the same as the legacy one when encrypting formatted text.

IMHO this is the smallest concern about that encryption tool. Currently I would not recommend it to anybody.

Use a secure encryption in another tool, and store the encrypted (!) files as attachments in EN.

• Like 1

Every single thing in this new version seems to be pared down, or had corners cut, or been incompletely tested. I agree that Evernote needs enterprise-level encryption, but I suspect that is very far down a features list, if such a list exists at all.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The problem with encryption IMHO was and is this „always on syncing“. How can you know that it won’t sync in the very moment when you have your text decrypted ? Even if you encrypt later, there is note history.

This was the problem with legacy, it still is the problem with v10. I don’t think it is easy to heal within of the EN ecosystem.

Encryption of normal stuff is not necessary because EN does encrypt in transfer and on storage. They hold the key, to run indexing and OCR, but at least 3rd party access is blocked.

For sensitive information use another tool, that was build from scratch around encryption.

• Like 2

The problem that I am seeing now is that I can not edit text in the encrypted selection.  It has to be decrypted and the encrypted again.  The other thing that I noticed is that formatted text lost the format.  The only thing I had was bold text on some lines, but it is gone, as well as spacing from line to line.  All text is just line after line without spacing between groups of text.

From reading this thread though, I am not sure that encryption is really giving me what I want to have anyway.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Trussgod said:

From reading this thread though, I am not sure that encryption is really giving me what I want to have anyway.

...So what is it that you need from encryption?

• Like 1