Split your dev team into two and offer a fully functioning "Legacy" product and a separate "new" product.

Chmedly

Idea

I'm still baffled about what has happened with Evernote this past year... Workflow is EVERYTHING for a heavy user. 

I really think the better solution would have been to keep the old product as it was and then to offer a new product that works in some different fashion. Keep both products going for at least 3 years. Provide a very well thought out "transition engine" product that helps old power users move their data AND workflows to something new. You need to help them envision how their work will actually work on a new platform. 

Again, THOUGHT OUT. 

Is it too late to fix this? I'm not sure. For me it's probably too late. Perhaps Evernote didn't have a choice? But I have a feeling that simply raising prices without fundamentally changing the product would have been the better way for Evernote to move forward. 

3 replies to this idea

Its all from a point of view. Not everyone has the same experience.

I left EN a few years ago as I got sick to death of the antiquated legacy app. The formatting was all over the place between devices and no paragraph headings!

It also looked like something from the Windows 95 era when all the rest of my software was pretty and integrated really well.

When version 10 came out I resubbed up and find it excellent.

My workflow is great and I have paragraph headings 👍

I also think forums like this & Reddit (lol) exaggerate the bad. No one just pops up to say they think its great... apart from me.. 'cos I'm strange 😂

• Level 5

Legacy is a dead end. When the WHOLE dev team was only on legacy, they could hardly keep up with 4 major OS and 3 major browsers updating all the time. Innovation had stopped, because maintenance took it all.

Personally I think v10 is on the right track. For me the import folders took another roadblock away from switching over completely.

Who does not want or can make it into v10 (local folders, scripting etc.) should look for alternatives - not with a crash course, but without loosing time either.

I don't think going back the Legacy way will ever happen.  v10 is here to stay.  I don't like v10 UI/UX and all the inconsistency.  If there is a good alternatives (have not found one yet), I will move.  But until then, I will just live with v10 and Legacy.  When the Legacy stops, that will trigger the move or a good alternative comes up, whichever is earlier.