Auto start Evernote as a tray icon when logging into Windows

RichardDavies

Idea

The "old" Evernote had a setting to automatically start the app when you started Windows. So when you logged in the app would automatically be running in the system tray. Sadly (and shockingly) the new Evernote doesn't have this option. You either have to manually remember to start Evernote every time you restart your computer, or manually add it to your startup folder, but then the application launches full screen and you have to minimize it after logging in.

For an app that is supposed to make my life easier, this little detail is frustrating and inconvenient. The new Evernote has been out for months and you're busy adding new features, most of which I don't really need or use... but the one little thing that could really improve restore my user experience somehow keeps getting overlooked by your genius app UX team. Fix it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

The startup folder route is the only way to go. As you've realised it isn't possible to start in the minimised mode. As for telling folk to 'Fix it...' The Evernote tech team aren't, generally, present in the forums.  These are peer-to-peer areas and none of us can fix anything.  You'd be better using the feedback option in the application or creating a support ticket.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I second @agsteele - fixing smaller issues won't be on anyone's priority list until we have a stable application;  just tell support about it and find another way. 

Co-incidentally I've been having startup issues in the recent past - a couple of support apps that I have in the Windows startup folder just don't seem to take any notice of that prompt anymore and stay firmly asleep until I click their icons in the Start window. 

Since there's more than one such app I created a short batch file and kept that on my desktop so one click will start both.

@agsteeleWhat do you mean the Evernote team isn't present in the forums? This forum is literally named "Product Feedback/Feature Requests" and I was directed here by Evernote support as the best way to submit product feedback and feature requests. Which is exactly what I did. If there's a better way to submit feedback/feature requests, please show me how to do it. What is the point of this forum if it's not for product feedback and feature requests?

@gazumpedThe new Windows version has been out for over 6 months. If the app isn't stable, why are they busy adding new features? The app has been updated multiple times over the past couple of months with new features, yet these other small, but important features that used to exist are getting ignored. If they've got time to be adding brand new features, they can fix these small issues.

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5*

Hi.  

1 hour ago, RichardDavies said:

I was directed here by Evernote support as the best way to submit product feedback and feature requests

Which is quite valid. Evernote staffers - mainly we think the development team - read these posts from time to time to pick up ideas for future work.  This is not an area where you can post an instruction to "fix it" and get an immediate reaction. 

Feature requests attract votes from other users,  and over time the best supported will get a follow up.  In the meantime other users - such as the replies you've already had - will weigh in with any useful suggestions we think might help. You're in no way obligated to follow the advice you receive.  The best way to get personal and direct feedback is to complete a support request.

1 hour ago, RichardDavies said:

If the app isn't stable, why are they busy adding new features?

Unless you have been living a long way off the grid,  you'll be aware that the majority of the 'new features' are restoring services that were available under Legacy.  I'm still using a pre-v10 version and don't plan to move to v10 until a couple of the services I use have been restored.  We're still in the middle of a 're-launch' phase and I'd imagine that smaller issues will not be a major priority for a little while.  The app is stable - it's just that the range of services is not quite yet fully complete.

Others may yet weigh in on this - that's just my experienced opinion.

• Evernote Expert
On 6/25/2021 at 6:06 PM, RichardDavies said:

What do you mean the Evernote team isn't present in the forums? This forum is literally named "Product Feedback/Feature Requests" and I was directed here by Evernote support as the best way to submit product feedback and feature requests. Which is exactly what I did. If there's a better way to submit feedback/feature requests, please show me how to do it. What is the point of this forum if it's not for product feedback and feature requests?

I meant what I said.  That the EN team aren't, generally, present. They pass by from time to time.  I think I pointed to ways of raising the issue.

Not sure I understand things properly... when I want to use EN for the first time each day I click the icon and it opens and I use it. Like all the rest of the software I use. Start of each day I click email, browser (Vivaldi - excellent for productivity), Todoist, Pocketcasts and Evernote and they all open. 

Maybe I just don't understand properly... does this not happen for you?