Changing encryption passphrase hint?

I want to change the passphrase hint for one of the bits of text I am encrypting. But the hint is grayed out with an earlier hint showing.

How do I change the passphrase hint?  Does Evernote support having more than one passphrase hint?

• Evernote Expert

I haven't attempted to do this but I suspect that you would have to decrypt the text and then re-encrypt providing all the new information you required.

No, Evernote does not provide the option for multiple 'hints'.

• Level 5*

I do still use encryption in a few notes,  but only because I'm too lazy to fix them - I prefer encrypted PDF or document files attached to my notes (there's more flexibility in what you can encrypt) and I'll usually have my own cryptic reminder phrase in the note just in case I forget the password.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

First the typical hint is usually more of a security risk than any help. That said there are apps that allow to change the hint independently, and others that just allow a new hint when the entire password was changed. It seems EN belongs to the more conservative party.

The concept of „a little encryption“ is somewhat weird. I encrypt or I don’t, no status in between. And the current EN encryption IMHO is not safe, so I believe it should NOT be used at all.

Encrypt an attachment, and store it in EN. Or use a safe cloud storage method, like Boxcryptor. Or use another tool, like saving stuff in your password manager. Everything better than that „text encryption“ stuff in EN.