Select and Delete More than 50 Notes

Selecting multiple notes is limited to 50 notes at a time. I want to delete many notes (2500) from a certain source. However, I can only select and delete 50 at once and after deleting those 50 (which takes quite a while) the delete option is disabled until I restart Evernote.

Why this limitation? Why this bug?

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, André said:

Why this limitation? Why this bug?

It's an arbitrary temporary limit imposed by the developers,  presumably to avoid stressing their systems too much until they're sure everything works out. Two options - move notes,  50 at a time,  to a notebook (hopefully repeatable),  then delete the notebook.

Or.  Use Legacy to delete the notes.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just for classification, it is not a bug. It is a limitation that was applied early, probably to make sure that any mass operation will terminate itself after a while. This is intentional, and it makes sense to put day-to-day stability over mass-note-action comfort.

In between it was possible to raise that limit by editing a config file. I set it to 1.000 on my MacBook Pro, and experienced no issues at all.

Hopefully they will raise or remove it one day.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, this "feature"/bug is still there. It's still not possible to select more than 50 notes at once. Worse: after deleting the first batch of 50 notes, a second batch cannot be deleted unless the Evernote app (Windows) is quit and restarted. Now, the first can be considered a "feature", but the second one certainly is a bug....

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, André said:

Unfortunately, this "feature"/bug is still there. It's still not possible to select more than 50 notes at once. Worse: after deleting the first batch of 50 notes, a second batch cannot be deleted unless the Evernote app (Windows) is quit and restarted. Now, the first can be considered a "feature", but the second one certainly is a bug....

So - not a fan of tagging the notes or installing Legacy?  If you're a subscriber you could raise this with Support,  but it's unlikely to get fixed anytime soon...

8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

So - not a fan of tagging the notes or installing Legacy?  If you're a subscriber you could raise this with Support,  but it's unlikely to get fixed anytime soon...

How would tagging help? Search results from searching for tags has the same limitation (50 notes).

If it's a policy on the server side the legacy app would not help, either (but that may not be true, or couse. Didn't try.)

Thanks for your help!

• Level 5*
On 6/11/2021 at 5:03 PM, gazumped said:

move notes,  50 at a time,  to a notebook (hopefully repeatable),  then delete the notebook.

Sorry - brain fade:  should have said 'moving notes'.  And Legacy just avoids any 50 limits.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The limit is applied on the client side. There is a description how to work around it on a Windows PC in the forum by changing or adding a parameter in a config file. The limit is probably related to the way EN v10 is processing actions on multiple notes.

The legacy client does it differently, is more efficient and does not need a limit.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, EpsilonAlpha said:

The Processing of changes to multiple notes is even more worse: 1 Note per second get's processed from the 50 Notes to can select which also blocks the according Evernote client completely

I'm still using Legacy,  which seems quite speedy now...  and doesn't have a note limit...

1 minute ago, gazumped said:

I'm still using Legacy,  which seems quite speedy now...  and doesn't have a note limit...

Yeah that's an option but come on, they need to fix that. I pay for that service and they keep making it worse and worse. I needed to reset the iOS App to make to work with pictures. Once Evernote was one of the best apps and service in the App Store but I was going down road imo.

And lately it was completely pissing me off tbh:
- I created a simple note, just a plain text title with no content and it wasn't synced until I reset the app. Until the reset I wasn't able to add a picture to that note
- the Web UI also got that "V10 Design" with all it's issues
- the Mac and Windows App need a ridiculous time to process that 50 Notes, even on pretty expensive and beefy machines with each of them has a gigabit connection at his proposal.

if I don't see at least a progress to fix at least one of that issues I will migrate to something self hosted :( sry for the rant, but I try to use that productive and it's getting worse and worse

54 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

What you see IS progress (believe it or not).

If you don’t like it, stay on legacy (sorry, not on iOS) or start your transition.

Well progress would be to see an improvement, a plan to fix it or make it at least and slightly increase. But that's not the case. It's sticks like that for as long this version is out, that is not progress, it's stale.

I thinking about switch to legacy, also for the transition cause let's be real: Just exporting or migrating just 50 Notes at once on an account with nearly 30k Notes in total would be painful long. And for iOS well I don't have an option.

It's just disappointing 

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, EpsilonAlpha said:

It's just disappointing 

You're spending a lot more time on being disappointed than it would take to just download and install legacy on a desktop and get on with processing your notes.  Evernote have issued 20 updates to the desktop apps since the new product was released,  so clearly they're not just sitting on their hands. But their priorities - apparently - happen not to be the same as yours.  This is where work-arounds - and Legacy apps - come in.

Just now, gazumped said:

You're spending a lot more time on being disappointed than it would take to just download and install legacy on a desktop and get on with processing your notes.  Evernote have issued 20 updates to the desktop apps since the new product was released,  so clearly they're not just sitting on their hands. But their priorities - apparently - happen not to be the same as yours.  This is where work-arounds - and Legacy apps - come in.

But the legacy apps are on a different update branch or stale prior to the "v10" Versions? 

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, EpsilonAlpha said:

But the legacy apps are on a different update branch or stale prior to the "v10" Versions? 

?  Legacy does what you need it to do,  and will work alongside your v10 app - it doesn't replace it.  Changes in Legacy will appear in your v10 database and vice-versa.  There's no tech support apart from anything you can glean here in the Forums,  and true - in a few months Legacy may be no more.  But by then v10 may be a lot faster and deal with bigger selections.  Lots of us here are still happily using it with no problems (yet).  It really isn't an issue to use it.

4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

?  Legacy does what you need it to do,  and will work alongside your v10 app - it doesn't replace it.  Changes in Legacy will appear in your v10 database and vice-versa.  There's no tech support apart from anything you can glean here in the Forums,  and true - in a few months Legacy may be no more.  But by then v10 may be a lot faster and deal with bigger selections.  Lots of us here are still happily using it with no problems (yet).  It really isn't an issue to use it.

Sounds good, then my problem will be solved anyway: either if the v10 works well or my transition is done anyway

Edit: Just downloaded, installed and synced the legacy (like I said Gigabit connection): OMG the sheer difference in performance! Yeah will using both I guess. For "mass restructure" the legacy one 

• Like 1