What stops me from subscribing to Evernote? Why do you keep trying to charge me? your strategy?

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

Hey, 

I am not happy that my Evernote account needs to "upgrade" in order for me to check on my saved notes, if you guys want more subscribers you shouldn't try to force them in that way, you could deactivate the function of creating new notes or uploading files instead of blocking the user from accessing there saved notes which is a disgusting strategy.   

Proton Mail also uses a very similar strategy with the subscriptions and that's why I also don't subscribe to them, I used to be a supporter but since I figured that out, they lost my support and respect for the company.  

I sent a email to Evernote, they are trying to charge my credit card every time they see the possibility, I am unable to remove the credit card and they haven't replied to my email, it's been 3+ weeks, disgusting company definitively, change my mind if your not what your actions have shown me. 

• Level 5*
  • Solution

Hi.  You're currently using a free account which has some limitations on the number of devices used to access your notes. If you abide by those restrictions you can continue to use the service for free.  No credit card is required - and you should have free access to your account details to remove it if for some reason you have already submitted it.  For information:  we're mainly users here,  so have no interest in whether or not you subscribe at any time.

Understanding the device limit

How to manage your Evernote subscription

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/135456-how-to-submit-a-ticket-for-a-billingpayment-issue/

15 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  You're currently using a free account which has some limitations on the number of devices used to access your notes. If you abide by those restrictions you can continue to use the service for free.  No credit card is required - and you should have free access to your account details to remove it if for some reason you have already submitted it.  For information:  we're mainly users here,  so have no interest in whether or not you subscribe at any time.

Understanding the device limit

How to manage your Evernote subscription

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/135456-how-to-submit-a-ticket-for-a-billingpayment-issue/

Thank you

• Like 1
  • Level 5

As long as you are using EN with the Basic plan, they will continue „nagging“ you to upgrade.

See it from this perspective: The BASIC plan is a way to let people try to use EN. EN makes a living from those people who subscribe. So in the end BASIC is a marketing tool, and as long as you use it, you are practically burning a small part of the marketing budget to do so. So they reserve the right to remind you about it.

When they do, and you have no plan to subscribe, just view this little moment of attention (to click it away) as the small price you pay for using the service for free.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem. My wife got a new phone and now it's insisting we upgrade and provide a credit card. I can't find a way to delete the old phone so that we are only using two again. It seems that if we provide a credit card number in order to get into the account and delete a device, We have to cancel the non-refundable subscription in order to return to Basic plan.

Is this thing really holding our notes hostage for $54 dollars?

How do we access our account to delete a device without paying?

• Level 5

When you use a service for free, there are limits. You can unsync any device from any synced device. Open EN, go to settings, and now it depends on the client you are using.

You need to open the devices tab in your account settings and unsync the device no longer used.

Next time maybe do this before discarding the old device.

• Like 1