Mac local storage... where?

I used to be able to get to the database where local Evernote files are stored on my Mac by clicking Alt at the Help menu item and going to Troubleshoot/Open Database Folder.

Not any more.

Can anyone tell me where the local files are now?

I have EN 10.5.7 on a Mac mini running MacOS 11.1.

Thanks.

Thanks for the link, gazumped. I didn't see that when I searched before I posted.

The consensus seems to be that there are no permanent local files on Mac, now, only cloud storage. Too risky. That's bad news and, in my view, a poor decision on Evernote's part.

I'll be looking elsewhere now, because the Legacy version, according to Evernote, will only exist in the short term.

A shame, I've been a longtime EN user.

Oh well, everything comes and goes.

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, Necktilt said:

The consensus seems to be that there are no permanent local files on Mac, now, only cloud storage Too risky

The Version 10 local storage is at /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Evernote

I'm using the Legacy product and my data backups include a weekly full export in html fornat

DTLow, thanks for the info.

However, the version 10 I'm using only has a few tiny files in the Local Storage folder at the location you note. No sign of the large files I'd expect if local storage really is located there.

You say you're using the Legacy version, so maybe you don't know about the current state of version 10?

Anyway, as I mentioned, Evernote says the Legacy version has a short-term life, so I'm not going to chance my data in that.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, Necktilt said:

You say you're using the Legacy version, so maybe you don't know about the current state of version 10?

I'm beta testing the Version 10 product, and know about the current state
On my Mac, the local storage totals 15GB; about the same total as the Legacy product

>>However, the version 10 I'm using only has a few tiny files in the Local Storage folder at the location you note. No sign of the large files I'd expect if local storage really is located there.

Did you allow time for the complete download?
I see a large .sql file holding the combined enml source and metadata for all my notes
I also see separate folders for each note, holding attachment files

DTLow, apologies—but it's useful to know you're running 10.

My 'Local Storage' folder at the location noted has 000003.log (0 bytes), CURRENT (18 bytes), LOCK (0 bytes), LOG* (314 bytes), LOG.old* (314 bytes), and MANIFEST-000001 (41 bytes), with the asterisked files dated today and a recent time.

I wonder if, as you're running 10 and Legacy, the .sql file you're seeing relates to the Legacy app and not the 10 app?

Metrodon, thanks for the tip.

In that folder, I have four sql files, two tiny ones, and UDB...LocalStorage.sql and UDB....RemoteGraph.sql, the former 4.2 meg and the latter 349.5 meg.

The last time I checked the previous method of storage data, I had close on 2 gigs.

So those files still don't seem large enough to be my data.

And I'm not seeing individual folders for each note, holding attachment files, that DTLow refers to.

Could these really be useful for backup, or indeed at all? 

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, Necktilt said:

Could these really be useful for backup, or indeed at all? 

As @DTLow indicated above - backups are currently best done from the Legacy app.  The storage used by v10 is not (apparently) useful to users other than that it supplies the app with note data and - unless you opt otherwise - will be deleted when you exit.  HTML or ENEX backups from the legacy database would be the way to go.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Necktilt said:

In that folder, I have four sql files, two tiny ones, and UDB...LocalStorage.sql and UDB....RemoteGraph.sql, the former 4.2 meg and the latter 349.5 meg.
The last time I checked the previous method of storage data, I had close on 2 gigs.
So those files still don't seem large enough to be my data.
And I'm not seeing individual folders for each note, holding attachment files, that DTLow refers to.

RemoteGraph.sql is your combined note enml and metadata; 1.3GB for me
Attachment data is stored in the ..../Evernote/resource-cache subfolder

Thanks for the latest comments, gazumped and DTLow. I really appreciate your efforts to help me.

Gazumped, I think i'm beginning to understand this now. Am I right in thinking that I have to run Legacy and 10 alongside because I need Legacy to be able to see "understandable" data that can be backed up? DTLow, the data you mention for attachments in 10's resource-cache sub-folder is goobledegook, for example.

If my assumption about the necessity of running both is correct, how do I go about actually running the two versions? Do I simply get Legacy as well (I'm running 10 currently) and then consider 10 as my main work space, for its currency of features, but have Legacy, too, which will mirror 10's content but provide accessible and useful backup files? 

I'm prepared to give that a try, at least, if that's the case. Though it does seem a terribly clunky way to have to work, especially for something that costs me nearly 50 quid a year.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

@Necktilt - Yup; just install Legacy and use it and v10 more or less interchangeably. As you suggest though - best to concentrate on one version and change to the other only if your first choice isn't working the way you need it.  No changing horses mid-stream (to heavily mix my first metaphor in 2021).

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Necktilt said:

If my assumption about the necessity of running both is correct

Critical for my use, the Version 10 product lacks
- Applescript Integration
- HTML export; full database export
We hope/expect this to be resolved; no timeframe specified

>>the data you mention for attachments in 10's resource-cache sub-folder is goobledegook

These folders are used by Evernote for offline access
There is a defined specification for the data; it's not intended to be user read-able
For read-able data, my backups include a weekly full export in html format

• Like 2