Sort by options are missing in new version

New Evernote version reduced sort by option dramatically, - see screenshot attached. I mostly miss sort by location and sort by tag options, as those are essential objects in Evernote. Here are couple of usage eamples, - I am sure other users will come up with additional ones: 

- if location represent some chronological sequence inside of the stack, it is a  usefull view to sort notes  by locations when viewing whole stack

- tags can be used as grouping elements or priority markers,  - thus it was very nice to have high prio notes or notes all tagged with "Barcelona" listed together iwhen viewing larger list

Unfortunately, there is nothing mentioned reg. sorting by in comming soon article: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058361833 
how do we know, are those features coming back, or this is it ? 
I have no problem in waiting another month or 2 but I have problem now knowing at all, if that is in scope!  
In general: the advantage of Evernote over other note taking apps was a huge versatility. Stripping down features is reducing versatility and thus Evernote is loosing competitive edge. 

sort by comparing old and new versions.png

• Sad 1

yes, I have same problem and I have a community of users following my setup advices on using GTD with Evernote, - so it's a problem. 
Evernote claims they are fixing things and bringing missing functionality, but there is no centainty which functions are on the roadmap and which are not!
I hope more transparency for the next year, as there are a lot of voices out there asking for lost features

• Level 5

As long as there is legacy, nobody on a desktop platform is forced to use v10.

One can decide to run legacy only, install both clients side by side or use v10 alone. If using v10 proved to be difficult at the moment, legacy can always be installed to get back to a productive use.

Personally I think that EN management was not aware about the number of bugs they shipped. So probably a timeline would not have helped much, because IMHO bug fixing currently is more important than keeping a release schedule. This would send any timeline over the cliff ...

10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

As long as there is legacy, nobody on a desktop platform is forced to use v10.

One can decide to run legacy only, install both clients side by side or use v10 alone. If using v10 proved to be difficult at the moment, legacy can always be installed to get back to a productive use.

Personally I think that EN management was not aware about the number of bugs they shipped. So probably a timeline would not have helped much, because IMHO bug fixing currently is more important than keeping a release schedule. This would send any timeline over the cliff ...

Hi, bugs are clear, happens to all software producers, but what I miss is transparency,   - what features will come back and what are lost forever.

• 3 weeks later...

I came to the forum searching for "sort by tag" hoping that I missed something. This thread confirms that I'm not the only one that relies on the sorting by tag options in the prior versions. Over the years I have come up with a very specific tag nomenclature that will be completely lost if this function is restored. In the world of spreadsheets, each and every column should be sortable.

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5

This, and if the reminder date is missing, make a right mouse click into the title bar. Then select the Reminder date from the drop down menu. It is sortable, as @Mike P showed. (1) Right click here (2) select reminder date:

image.png.36284fb480c5545c0c1275949297a306.png

• Like 1

Not very convinient to go to another section just for sorting by reminder date, isn't it?

Besides that:

a) There is no "Reminders" section in a notes list generated by a saved search query. b) Other columns are not sortable too, i.e. Tags column, Notebook column, and so on.

• Level 5

Everything in its place, if you want to check reminders, go to the reminders view. That's the philosophy behind it.

Reminders are sort of a relict from the past. For the future, try to use Tasks. They have some benefits, like you can add several tasks to a note. And they have a feature long missed for Reminders: Tasks can be made recurring, that means they will pop up again after a selected interval.

To make a note actionable, Tasks are the better tool.

4 minutes ago, akrde said:

Not very convinient to go to another section just for sorting by reminder date, isn't it?

Hrm. Well, it is more convenient for me to go another section to sort by reminder date because then you only get notes with reminders.

4 minutes ago, akrde said:

a) There is no "Reminders" section in a notes list generated by a saved search query.

At this point is when you can apply @PinkElephant's advice that he posted right above your comment. And if you also only use that advice then you never have to be inconvenienced by going to another section.

I don't need Evernote's new task feature. I just need sortable date columns for my workflows.

Don't understand why this is not possible anymore for the reminder date column in any notes list where i can add that column.

Makes no sense!

• Level 5

Makes no sense for you, makes sense for others.

As I said, reminders is a tool from the past. EN has invested a lot of coding into Tasks. I think they will continue doing so, because it creates a unique position among notes apps.

You are not forced to use Tasks - but don't expect much to be invested into Reminders any more. Keep in mind as well that every sortable "view" means there must be an index created on the database - and every index eats into performance. I think that's the main reason why EN decided to cut back on some sorting options.

Feel free to contact support about your wish, or send feedback to EN from the clients.

1 hour ago, akrde said:

There is no "Reminders" section in a notes list generated by a saved search query.

Well spotted. It seems strange that the reminders tab is there if you just run the search but not if you run exactly the same search as a saved search.

1 hour ago, akrde said:

I don't really see it as that inconvenient. It's always there and just needs one click to essentially filter for all those notes with reminders.

I've said many times before that I think that you should be able to sort by any of the fields that appear in the side list or top list view. I am just pointing out that in the special case of reminders you can sort in the special "reminders tab" view.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Reminders are sort of a relict from the past. For the future, try to use Tasks.

Can't say that I agree with this. Horses for courses, as they say in the UK. I don't need to sort on reminders, and if I did, then Tasks might be a better idea. But there are reasons for using them, and Evernote's reminder system is reasonably robust and functional apart from sorting.

• Like 1

Reminders do "tickler" function for the GTDoists. 
Sure, Tasks can replace them. But then, look at the sort options for tasks: no sort by notebooks or tags either. 
Every index eats into performance? Well, use notepad instead, this is a very performant note taking app 🙂
Users pay for a dedicated note taking app, so  that it has all the different sorting and grouping options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

I use GTD, but I don't need reminders. A few tags, and some saved searches do the job for me.

But anyhow, you can carry your wish to get more sorting option to EN. The better you explain your use case (and that it is a general one, helping other using GTD), the better are chances for implementation.