Note info - "Updated Time & Date" - No longer editable.... boooooooo 👎🏼👎🏼

Agree with the request to return the previous capability. Removing the ability to edit this bit of metadata is a big step backward. I import a lot of documents or share them into Evernote and not being able to backdate the last edit disrupts workflow and listing order

• Like 1

Totally agree.  This is a MAJOR feature in my workflow.  I literally change my "updated date" fields on my notes almost every day.  I won't get into why, but it does not matter.  Removing this feature is NOT ACCEPTABLE. How can you presume to know how 100,000,000 people are using the existing feature set that has been around for many years??  Where is all this arrogance coming from?  You also thought it was okay to remove the ability to record audio in notes!  I literally use that at least 15 times every single day.  OMG!   STOP REMOVING FEATURES!!!!  JUST STOP!!  

This is SOOOOO FRUSTRATING.  It seems like couple of days I find another feature you removed, while I'm watching the horribly poor performance of the new release with the little swirling circle with almost everything I do.   Add a tag on a note and it just deletes it and finally puts it back a good 5 seconds later.  EVERYTHING IS SO SLOW!

Stop ruining what was a once great tool. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Another example why it is probably not a good idea to write own content into fields that are basically under system / app control.

This does not help you personally, just as a warning for everybody who thinks about building mission critical workflows around such a practice. Software changes, and fields that may have been open to be overwritten yesterday may be locked up today, and may be initialized with new content by the software tomorrow. Most likely these fields will as well not be protected by note history, so the information loss is permanent.

Other apps give more control for data design, like Notion and DEVONthink. To do it in EN one may create a note template, which contains a standard table to house such user-created information. Or depending on how many data points are needed, tags could be used.

RichW I couldn’t agree more. I only mentioned the “update time & date” to focus on this issue, but I totally agree with you about the frustration of having other functionality removed that we love and depend on, and quite frankly, some of the things that made Evernote the best in its field. Evernote team, please consider our frustration, also, please beta test your premier product before releasing the final version. It’s so frustrating to have my extremely dependable software shrunken to a version that displays blank notes  😩😩😩

Tim

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Another example why it is probably not a good idea to write own content into fields that are basically under system / app control.

Evernote ceded that control when they made the fields editable.  And once the genie was out of the bottle to so cavalierly remove the capability is bad form.  That and the rest of the crumpled features.  Long live 6.25.1 or hurry up V11.  ;)

• Like 2
  • Level 5

We see how much this is worth when some rookie developer decides that enough is enough, and locks down what another developer had opened years ago. If there were consistency in deciding what users are allowed to do, and what not, welcome back local notebooks, import folders and all the other stuff.

True, the best way around this would have been to write the field, leave it open and write another hidden field with the same information, if it is now needed or anything. But remember, they wanted to become LEAN with this new version, not more BLOATED. 

I am far from welcoming that some people now have a problem when the date field is locked. The only thing I say is better not to use fields for your own use into which the system is writing as well. This is not a legal issue, just a practical one.

• Level 5*

Hopefully these decisions are above the rookie developer level. If not that would explain a lot. 

I agree 100% do not use a field for something other than it's purpose.  Created date has a bit of flex for me.  Technically it could be the date the note was created or personally it could be the date the document was created.  I used this quite a bit in the beginning as I became paperless.  I adjusted created date to document date for financial and personal records.  Less of an issue now that is done but still the need to adjust created arises from time to time, typically after a DAA on my part.

If there's good cause in EN world to maintain the integrity of created and updated they should be locked down.  Again, that horse left the barn and it would have been good practice to accommodate the change in scope.  But as you say local notebooks, sorting by tags, updates happening real time, sync working reliably with a sync button plus the myriad of other lost function all fall in the bucket.  Unfortunately.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 12/27/2020 at 11:41 AM, timootski said:

Under note info, why can I no longer edit the "updated" time & date?

The created date field was originally locked down in v10 and then opened in a later version.  Hopefully they will open up the updated field to editing as well.

• Like 2