Question for users that export for backup purposes

I have seen a fair amount of users mention about exporting notes on a daily/weekly/monthly basis quoting they do this to 'manually back up' their notes. And with the new version people complaining about the options for doing this etc etc.

I am genuinely interested to know why you feel the need to back them up locally in such a way?

Is it mistrust of the service thinking you may lose them or is if a technical reason, or have you had an experience of them disappearing in the past?

Cheers in advance.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, DMiddleton said:

I have seen a fair amount of users mention about exporting notes on a daily/weekly/monthly basis quoting they do this to 'manually back up' their notes. And with the new version people complaining about the options for doing this etc etc.

I am genuinely interested to know why you feel the need to back them up locally in such a way?

Is it mistrust of the service thinking you may lose them or is if a technical reason, or have you had an experience of them disappearing in the past?

Cheers in advance.

Mostly for the recovery of an accidentally deleted note from a synced notebook or pure backup for local notebooks (not so much an issue with V10).

3 minutes ago, CalS said:

Mostly for the recovery of an accidentally deleted note from a synced notebook or pure backup for local notebooks (not so much an issue with V10).

I can understand the local notebook backup with it not being synced to the cloud.
So, for deleted notes - would they not have been available in the trash - or would that have been for those deleted from local notebooks too?

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, DMiddleton said:

So, for deleted notes - would they not have been available in the trash - or would that have been for those deleted from local notebooks too?

Assumes one knows when one accidentally deletes a note.  Hasn't happened often, but just in case.... 

I use Backupery on 6.25.1 so it is pretty much a brainless exercise to do the backup which happens all by itself at O dark hundred.  Belts and Suspenders I suppose.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
30 minutes ago, DMiddleton said:

As per @CalS, I've experienced data loss from the accidental deletion of notes    
No bad experiences with Evernote, but the weekly full export confirms there's an exit option when needed

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, DMiddleton said:

Me three to the comments above.  I've not had to use a backup for a long time,  but I like the reassurance that one exists.  Plus I've worked with computers for a long time.  If anything can go wrong it probably will...

I also use Backupery so I'll be sticking with the 'old' version 6.25 until they can come up with an online backup or some other option.