[Feature Request] Auto-file preferences

10gallonhat

Idea

In the Account Preferences (online, under Account, at least as of v10.4.4) we have an option to auto-file emails and auto-tag. I'd like to see that split into two different checkbox options: auto-file, and separately, auto-tag. The Tag option could further allow auto-selected tags OR give the user the ability to set them specifically.

I email in a lot of content, but what it is varies quite a bit. It would save me a lot of time if I could have all my incoming emails auto-tag with the year and possibly some other things. I can see others wanting their notes just auto-tag based on what is in their tag list. My list is very long, however, so an auto-list would over complicate future search results.

Having the auto-tagging and auto-filing be separate is key for me. That way I can review the docs I've sent in, make needed comments and file appropriately after I have addressed any issues. If they simple auto-file, I could miss something that needs to be resolved or scheduled. I also don't necessarily trust EN to file the way I would.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, 10gallonhat said:

I also don't necessarily trust EN to file the way I would.

Agreed, I don't trust the auto-file routines (neither notebooks nor tags)   
I prefer an inbox collection, and manual notebook/tagging    
assisted by scripting on my Mac

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, 10gallonhat said:

I also don't necessarily trust EN to file the way I would.

Me three.  As I've explained (many times) before - I use Filterize to deal with (some) internal organisation.  All my saves go into the default folder,  but as new notes they're examined by Filterize against a note which contains a long,  and editable table.  There are three columns which help run a Filterize rule "if the note contains <word or phrase> apply tag(s) <anytag1,2 etc> and move to <notebook>"

The variables are in the table,  and I can add to or edit the content at any time.  The system causes occasional amusement when my choice of search words is not specific enough,  and when I want a particular note to be in a non-standard notebook.  (I had to move one note back into the notebook I wanted it in three times before I worked out what was going wrong...)  But like I say the tables are easily edited and any bugs can be worked out of the system.  Mostly...

Have a look at 'parameterization' if you'd like to know more...  

@DTLow I think any auto-anything should allow some user intervention. At minimum, do X routine, but flag for possible verification and tweaking. I have everything start in an Unsorted notebook, but I do have a regular influx of auto-FW emails that, if they did filter themselves (though not tag, in that particular case), would reduce some of my repetitive tasks.

@gazumped I'm very interested. Sounds like what you use can be pretty granular, which could be delightfully flexible. I'm all for that. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

The auto-filing stuff is off on my account for the same reasons described.  But this isn't an EN v10 issue.  I think it connects to the web clipper and Email to Evernote. It is certainly a global setting.  Not sure where is the best place to raise this.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, agsteele said:

I think it connects to the web clipper and Email to Evernote. It is certainly a global setting.  Not sure where is the best place to raise this.

If you're talking about clipping,  there are some choices under 'options' at the bottom of the clipper window...