iOS document scanner (RANT!)

Really sorry to say this, but Evernote ist getting worse and worse for me on any platform. Longtime customer since probably more 12 years but I was happier with Evernote when it had less features and fancy stuff... Sad to see how so many products get worse over the years because of the need of staying relevant.

Last bit of worries: the document scanner was once a perfect tool for me but with one of the latests releases it just goes bonkers when I try to scan a document. It takes multiple picture in a few seconds, most of them of poor quality and only after many retries I'm able to get a scan of a single page document. It seems to me, that the logic is far too sensitive.

The whole app is behaving erratically. Buttons sometime don't react or only late all at once. I thought it's because of my old iPhone 6s  but it's the same on my new one. 

RANT over! Looking for an alternative... bye

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

About scanning: To improve the experience, look out to have a good contrast between the document and the background, plus good lighting. If it seems too dark, you can switch on the phones LED flash to flashlight before scanning.

Maybe you can improve things by that - I made a similar experience, but to a lesser extend.

For more professional scanning I use the app ScannerPro by readdle. It comes packed with a lot of features, and has no issues. It’s has own OCR and offers a very good direct import into EN by predefined workflows (with tags and notebook).

#PinkElephant you miss the point. It worked fine before and if I have to resort to another app/scanner, etc., that's a big negative in terms of quickly adding/updating a note. Besides, lots of other apps use a smartphone camera for scanning / photos with excellent results.

This upgrade is an embarrassment and extremely irresponsible. It's cost people a lot of time. I cannot even revert to legacy "because my OS is out of date"...never mind that I've been using E-note with it for years... 

So many things no longer work...or take 2x or 3x the # of clicks to accomplish.

The "Find in..." function doesn't work now for encrypted notes.

The app is slow.

Clicking a link in a note...nope - gotta go through drop-don options....

Right-clicking a ink in a note to open it in a new window... nope.

The menu bar quick note option where you could paste in a link, type some text, then add a screen shot. Nope. Using the capture function immediately creates a new note of that capture instead of adding the capture to the new note you're trying to create.

Syncing is a joke. The app creates 2nd copies of notes...

The whole thing's a joke and has cost me a ton of time and stress. Absolutely the worst update I've ever encountered. Totally unexpected from Evernote.

So the big gun comes out and says "it hasn't been as smooth as we'd hoped, but we're working on it". Sure. We'll get back to you within 10-12 days. Lol...

I will be dumping the app.

Thanks for your recommendations. Of course I will try...

But I have to agree with Dobby: it already worked and Evernote has been great for years. Like Dropbox: it went from the greatest feature ever to a cpu hog shite and something I only use if customers or friends insist.

• Level 5

IMHO many things are still missing from v10 - but none of the scanning options (internal and Scannable) was ever great; not even among the pack if compared to other scanning solutions.

EN made up for part of it on the server, but still I prefer other solutions. I use the integrated scanner only for a quick snap here or there.

Fair enough, PE - but that’s pretty much what I use EN for in general: A dump for notes that has pretty good search functionality. I wish they’d fixed the “dynamic” tag suggestion function like it is on iOS... on desktop it’s purely about exact match/1st character whereas on mobile, it’s more dynamic.