How to turn auto update off? (Windows)

PPPPPPPPPP

Idea

I've been using evernote for some time now in a free account. Today it autoupdated without asking to download or anything. It only said it was downloading and if I wanted to restart the program. I've seen people saying to disable autoupdate on preferences but there is no menu even close to the posted pictures. How can I disable this feature?

• Like 4

30 replies to this idea

Completely agree, this is annoying. Having a message take focus away from what you're doing is distracting and looks unprofessional when presenting your screen (on zoom). Please give us the option to turn auto update off AND/OR do not pop up the message. On a Mac you could render a message via notification centre

• Like 1

@ccsw, @AM8987 , @teast , @emptybiz901, @marcooos, @PPPPPPPPPP. If you know how to edit and control Json files you can turn off "ForceUpdateAtStart" through the config.json, and Boron_template ..(it has a long name).....Json. However, this is not the official way of doing this and by saying this i am not telling you all to go t here and edit the file as that will be not be nice for Evernote  ;)   

• Like 2

@Rajesh GaireTHANK YOU!  I did not come and look until today when this bugging me again.  Absolutely ridiculous to have to do it that way but I believe I was able to disable it.

I first found the config.json file by searching on it and finding it an Evernote subfolder.  I opened it in Notepad and immediately save a copy by appending old before the .json extension.  Then I reopened the original not copied file and deleteted the "ForceUpdateAtStart" command, while watching for comma placement.  I suppose changing true to false would have worked but didn't try it.  I then just saved the file.  I also made sure Evernote was closed while doing this.  It seems to be working.

@EverNoteIf it doesn't work, or I don't have sufficient privileges on my work computer to change the file, THAT'S IT.  I have paid for your program personally for use at work and privately, have previously recommended strongly to family and friends, but this is ridiculously stupid that the update has been enabled on startup with no user option to disable.  I can't install everyday at work, I don't have privileges to do so.  I would have to call the help desk to do that. 

Signed up for an account on this forum to bump this up. I'm finding a new notes platform if there isnt a toggle to turn off auto update prompts. Blows my mind auto updates cant be turned off and that they keep prompting it when I need a notes app that is always ready, not a notes apps that is always not ready and is always prompting me to update, how is this a good idea?

• Like 1
On 4/13/2021 at 8:41 PM, msfalcin said:

Signed up for an account on this forum to bump this up. I'm finding a new notes platform if there isnt a toggle to turn off auto update prompts. Blows my mind auto updates cant be turned off and that they keep prompting it when I need a notes app that is always ready, not a notes apps that is always not ready and is always prompting me to update, how is this a good idea?

+1

Well, sadly I think I am going to leave evernote, it is really annoying, it is a productivity tool, and not a popup tool... I tried to change even a file to disable the auto update, but was not succesful

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Since the v10 client is still evolving, by bug fixes and new features, updating is recommended.

Why getting a notification on startup that there is an update is something bad escapes my phantasy. It is a service - if you don’t want to update at that moment, you click it away. Yes, it will be back … until you update (see above).

If you don’t want to update ever (and get no notification), install the legacy client. It will never update - and stop working one day.

On 6/28/2021 at 5:00 PM, PinkElephant said:

Since the v10 client is still evolving, by bug fixes and new features, updating is recommended.

Why getting a notification on startup that there is an update is something bad escapes my phantasy. It is a service - if you don’t want to update at that moment, you click it away. Yes, it will be back … until you update (see above).

If you don’t want to update ever (and get no notification), install the legacy client. It will never update - and stop working one day.

Because I want the service that I pay for to not perform the action excessively.  

I'm glad PinkElephant you seem to feel it works for you.  There are multiple other people in this thread for whom it doesn't.  You are not being helpful, you are just telliing us to do it the way that is satisfactory for YOU.

Yeah that really doesn't happen.  I have it on two computers, one which I can update easily and one I can't.  it does it on both.  You are no longer adding anything helpul here.

What kind of service is being provided that needs to be updated daily with an in your face update.  If I say no, don't come back every day to bug me with no way to turn it off.  I just updated it yesterday and it came back again today.  It's nonsense, other programs don't push this aggressively.  

Evernote-No solution in over a year!  The only reason you got my subscription this year was that it was an automatic subscription.  That won't happen again if this isn't fixed. 

Poking around further...
in the config.json file "updateCheckPeriodMs"  is set to 86400000.  That's one day in milliseconds.  So every day the program checks your version and if you can't readily update, as I can't on my work computer because the IT department has locked down installs, I have this popup.  EVERY DAY.  I would have to call the IT department to get administrative privileges to get an update.   Wasting my time and their time and company dollars because of some minor update as represented in the third decimal of the version number.

So I added two more zeros to the value.  And if that works and if I am still unhappy after three months about the popup returning, I'll add two more.  

Further, as far as the usual system/program "preferences", there is all of three listed under Tools>>Preferences.

Check spelling while typing

Save data at log out.

Import folders.

Not a lot of choices!  And here we are on version 10.  Or rather 10.21.5.  Which is 21 subversions of the main version 10, but wait there's more, the fifth version of 10.21.  If every subversion has 5 sub sub-versions.  That would be 105 versions of version 10.  Which is why even if it's not daily, the frequent popup is annoying.  

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

@emptybiz901 Have you tried my advise, or are you only happy to drop **** on other users heads ? Hope you feel at least better now, after trying to bully another user around (Bullying an Elephant around, LOL).

Bevor you answer, better take a read:

https://discussion.evernote.com/guidelines/

How about you read what I posted and you might see why your answer is unhelpful.  Which if you are personally insulted when someone tells you your advice is unhelpful you may be perpetually insulted.  Usually moderators prefer you hit report post and let them handle moderation.  

I can't update for every little change the developers feel is so absolutely necessary to force picking an update or not every day.  So it's not simple like you insist.  I would like to be able to turn off the update for a reasonable period of time.  Daily is like in your face spam.  

My IT department also needs time to verify security of new versions, so I can't get approval until that happens.  And they are not going to vet versions 10.21.4 and 10.21.5 for instance for security holes.  

So today is Tuesday 9/28/2021 and the "UpdateCheckPeriodMS" change did not result in EN waiting 100 days to check the update.  The popups are back. We are now on Version 10.22.3.  Considering I use EN on three PCs, two of which require administrative users to install, this is back to being a major pain.  

Maybe something also needs changing in the Boron_template...

I too was really annoyed by the frequent updates, until i learned about the engineering management process called "agile" that all of the cool kids seem to be using these days. It concentrates on rapid turn-around for feature tweaks and bug fixes. Two weeks per update is typical, as the developers work on two-week "sprints". Until i learned that, I was thinking "really? Is Evernote so damned buggy they have to update every two (&*(& weeks?" Same of Excel, MSWord. Once a month is tolerable, so I usually skip an update or two.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just check the release notes. EN used to be sloppy on them, but they learned and really improved to tell what is in the new package. Want a feature, waiting for a bug fix ? Then install. I install always, every update delivers something useful.

The latest updates do not work on Windows 7; the program gives an error when launched. I had to constantly reinstall to the old working version 10.56.8. I had to look for how to disable auto-update.

Updates are downloaded to the "pending" folder, which is located in "User\AppData\Local\evernote-client-updater". I have disabled writing for this folder for all users. First remove the downloaded update from the folder. Auto-updates are not working yet.

• Evernote Expert

You should know that Evernote v10 before 10.60 had now been deprecated. That means you could find it disabled at some point in the future.

As you know Windows 7 isn't officially supported with Evernote anyway.

That's all to say that you would be well advised to have a safety plan for your notes in case things stop working suddenly.

• Level 5

It is in general a very bad idea to run Windows 7 on any computer connected to the Internet. EN being a cloud based service on the other hand needs to run on a connected computer.

What does it tell: Upgrade your OS to safely use EN. Practically every PC able to run Windows 7 is able to run Windows 10 as well.