Business card scanning and importing into contacts on IOS

I used to be able to import my scanned business cards into my Contacts on my iphone, but no longer see this ability. Is this feature no longer available, and if so, is it in the works to bring back? It is truly a key feature and without it, scanning cards into Evernote Doesn't provide much benefit. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

You can scan, it will create a business card note in EN. If it does not detect the business card format (which it usually does), you can choose this format after scanning. There will even be a few extracted fields in that note, if you are lucky and the OCR works and finds that information: Name, phone, e-mail, period.

You can’t send a mail from there, you can’t place a call, it will not replicate itself to contacts. IMHO pretty useless, until significantly updated.

No roadmap, not timetable ...

Personally I use a 3rd party app that does the scanning, OCR, builds an own card holder and sends a copy to contacts. The result needs to be controlled before saving it, auto detection of the correct field is often off, as is OCR from artistic font or designer experiments.

• Like 1

Thanks for your response. Definitely disappointing and crazy that they would downgrade the feature so much. Importing the contact info into contacts on the phone is essential. Why would anyone want to maintain two separate contact databases - one in IOS and one in Evernote?

Having said that, I see that I can call or email from the Evernote contact, so not clear why you indicated otherwise. A phone number field shows a call and text icon, whereas the email field shows an email icon, all of which trigger actions.

Thanks again and hoping someone at Evernote is paying attention....

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Most disappointing I agree! This was the primary reason i got the premium membership for Evernote. And asking customer service about if this will be brought back is useless, i just get automated replies! 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

Agree with everyone above. It is unbelievable that the scanned business cards into contacts cannot be transferred to iphone contacts. This was THE MOST important feature for me. I am using iPhone 7 with iOs 14.5 along with evernote ver. 10.9 and this does not work.

Right now you can scan a business card, it does a good job at it but if you cannot send a mail from there, you can’t place a call, and it does not replicate itself to contacts. It is completely useless. How could you get rid of this feature, what were you thinking? I am not sure if I should be scanning new cards on this. If this does not settle I will most likely cancel the subscription. 

Even editing contact is not easy. Earlier I could see the photo of the card and fill up any fields or put in extra fields- at all appeared on the same screen on iphone/laptop. Now given that both the photo and the contact fields are not visible on the same screen of either the phone or the laptop, I have to either use two devices or memorize stuff to enter fields. 

Am I missing something or are these the types of grand enhancements you would continue to make. Ver 8.0 was much better. Your developers should be fired or may be this is by design due to some warped logic. Are these features available in the business account?

Will the evernote team please answer:

1) is there any plan to allow trf of business card contact to phone contact anytime soon?

2) Are you looking to re-configure the edit contact screen. Please make it like the earlier versions.

3) Let me know if there is any issue with my iphone 7, or iOs 14.5, and evernote ver. 10.9 that does not allow for the above functionalities.

Appreciate a quick response.

Regards,

Maddy

• Like 1

Hi,

Is there a time line that you have for enabling the trf to iphone contact feature. Also, let me know if the above features are available in the business version? If not Its going to be really hard for me to continue to be your customer.

Regards,

Maddy

• 1 month later...

Is there any update on this?  I guess I am late to the party, but I just realized that the scannable app when importing into Evernote no longer allows you to create a new contact in iOS.  Surely this will be fixed?

• 4 weeks later...

This was the only reason that I payed for Premium. Now, Evernote has introduced new plans and I no longer have Premium and have Personal which does not allow me to email support about this very issues. Way to silence your users, Evernote! I have been a Premium user for over a decade. So disappointed. Will be looking for a replacement to Evernote — I used to be such a big advocate this scan/auto-import feature was a primary driver of my loyalty. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You could (at least for the last years) never email support directly. You always had to go through a ticketing (like it or not).

The interface to contacts was removed, I think with v10. It now works better from inside of EN than initially, like directly dialing a phone number from the EN business card note. But no contacts interface still …

I decided quite a while ago to use a real business card scanner app. It extracts much more information from a card than EN, and it builds a contact in my Apple contacts app for each card.

• 1 year later...

I too was a long time Evernote user and recently came back after a 4 year break. While tasks are great, the lack of the business card scan to IOS Contacts is a deal breaker for me. They already have my money so I am stuck for at least a year.

3 hours ago, TechSeek said:

the lack of the business card scan to IOS Contacts is a deal breaker for me

This seems like a very small detail compared to the huge feature set of Evernote. It seems like you would have an easier time of using a separate application like @PinkElephant suggests than to find another productivity/note-taking/archival app like Evernote that you like that can also scan your business cards to iOS Contacts. (Is there such an app?)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Personally I use CamCard, in the Free version. It has its own card holder, but will sync as well with iOS contacts if authorized in settings.

But this is only one among many apps available with similar properties. Just make a search in the web (I propose to avoid Google and use DuckDuckGo), you will find plenty of articles about this subject.

@boot17 and @pinkElephant, I agree overall, I have looked for the perfect app to complement what I have to use in a Windows Corporate world and Evernote is the only thing that comes close to my needs. Glad to be back with EN and will Explore CamCard and other Biz card scanners. Thanks for the replies.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

There is a ton of business card scanning apps that are made for this purpose. And they sync with contacts, wow.

Get one, live a happy life ever after.

Or ask support, get a nice but noncommittal answer, and decide if you now want to get another app and live your life happy ever after.

I took the direct route !

Hint: EN only extracts a few fields from a BC - the apps extract every information they find, and try to fill the contacts fields as completely as possible (different phone numbers, job title, company URL, address etc.). Advantage app.

EN on the other hand will make all this searchable, plus the odd handwriting somebody left at the edge of the card as well. Advantage EN.