Reading/Viewing pdfs in Evernote 10 versions

DAVID p

Idea

One of the key roles I use Evernote for is to be my archive and library. I have scanned many old paper documents and now store them in Evernote and I no longer print out documents, I store them in Evernote.

I want and need Evernote 10 to be a success. I am happy to continue beta testing, but the current pdf functionality in version 10 does not work for me, I need the functionality available in the Legacy version and if this is not not going to be made available in version 10 before Evernote Legacy is withdrawn, I will have to move to another app.

• Like 4

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5
On 11/4/2020 at 12:31 PM, stocky2605 said:

you can change the way how PDFs are shown inline (single page vs all pages).

True. Unfortunately, I don't know of way to do this systematically: each PDF needs to be changed one-by-one—which is hard work for a database of 10,000 PDFs.

Yes, I use Evernote as my committee notebooks. It used to be so easy to scroll through pdfs -- now it is nearly impossible. I have to scroll to the bottom of the page to get to the navigation arrows  and then scroll back up to see the next page. And I don't see a way to change the view size of the page so I can see a whole page at once on a laptop. This needs to be fixed or I will find another platform.

16 hours ago, Dan Anderson-Little said:

Yes, I use Evernote as my committee notebooks. It used to be so easy to scroll through pdfs -- now it is nearly impossible. I have to scroll to the bottom of the page to get to the navigation arrows  and then scroll back up to see the next page. And I don't see a way to change the view size of the page so I can see a whole page at once on a laptop. This needs to be fixed or I will find another platform.

you can change the way how PDFs are shown inline (single page vs all pages). Hope this helps.

14 hours ago, Dan Anderson-Little said:

I have to scroll to the bottom of the page to get to the navigation arrows  and then scroll back up to see the next page. And I don't see a way to change the view size of the page so I can see a whole page at once on a laptop. This needs to be fixed or I will find another platform.

I have highlighted this thing multiple time at both beta program and support, but they didn't improve such simple and important thing. A PDF file having portrait mode (say A4 size page) can't be viewed properly with horizontal navigation arrows. Moreover, it is not a good idea to make PDF file with large number of pages to view as All Pages.

Previous PDF viewer was good at least if not best. A better replacement can be PDF.js for PDF viewer, yet they made feature less PDF viewer as default option. Evernote team must work on it to make feature rich else there is no use of putting PDF files in notes.

Same issue in Windows forum: 

• Like 1

Just adding my name to the list of people that need this. I use Evernote on all of OSX, IOS and Windows,. But mainly on OSX.

Currently PDFs come across as massive. 

I have worked out that you can INDIVIDUALLY

1) change the PDF to show multiple page instead of single

2) shrink display size by creating a table and dragging the pdf to a cell in the table. It is then possible to resize the pdf display by changing the cell size.

But - it seems that this needs doing in every note individually.

There must be an easier way please

• Level 5

The view option change in settings will only apply to PDFs that were added after the change. It will not apply to those already there.

Furthermore the „all pages“ seems to revert to one page for large PDFs. Maybe it’s done to prevent long loading times for the note.