Fonts now WAY too small in IOS

davidtderrick

Idea

32 replies to this idea

6 hours ago, davidtderrick said:

Yes, but you tend to lose half the content off the screen that way. It's sadly not a solution.

Exactly. When you zoom in it shouldn’t move content off screen. It should repaginate so you see all your content wrapped in the newly resized window 

• Like 2

I agree the default font is too small on iOS (and there is no way to change it). But something that is much improved in v10 is pinch to zoom - you can enlarge the note and continue viewing or editing. Doing this with the "old" Evernote didn't work very well because it kept reverting to the default size, but now it holds whatever size you zoom to.

• Level 5

Maybe they are small for you, eyesight is different for different people. I did not note a difference, but as I say, it is a personal thing.

There is a solution in iOS settings, screen&brightness, text size. Behind it is a slider. If you move it to larger, text in all apps that support dynamic text size will enlarge (not only in EN). It works for the v10-app, and your can adapt it in several steps until it suits your need. Maybe you feel more comfortable with other apps as well.

4AC6225E-09A2-47DB-94AA-5A44FE735C30.thumb.jpeg.a6ea98edd533fcd5276608b6e05355ae.jpeg

• Level 5

Hope it helps. It always is a balance between text size vs. number of notes / content on display.

I‘ve got myself glasses for computer work a few years ago, makes a big difference. They are made for the screen distance, which reduces stress on the eyes.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Probably it is depending on the source of a note.

The general setting for typed text (normal text, not headers) in the editor is size 16, which is maybe even a bit large, but o.k. with me.

Unfortunately there is no chance to change this in the settings.

• Level 5

IPad Pro 16 ? There was the original 9.7 and 12.9 , later 10.5, and now 11 and 12.9, both since spring 2020 with the A12Z SOC.

I have a 10.5, which has the super sharp and reactive screen of all Pros. In fact writing this text here in the forum, the font is significantly smaller than if I would type it into a new note in the EN client.

Maybe EN will include more options in a future release.

Definitely, we are not talking about eyesight issues here. There is something wrong with how the new Evernote manages text size. I would add to the discussion that text size varies according the screen size I have 2 iPads (11 inches and 12.9 inches). Though text size is still comfortable in my 11 inches iPad, that is not the case for the 12.9  inches. Higher resolution on iPad Pro 12.9 inches provokes smaller text on Evernote notes. Other apps are capable to keep text size consistent across devices, but not Evernote. In addition, not having the option to adjust text size is an issue that affects usability. A remakable example of the opposite is Apple Notes: zooming in or out produces a seeming change in the text size and an automatic adjustment of margins so you do not have to scroll horizontally.

i am quite upset with the way Evernote somehow doesn't have a way to increase font size (default is WAY TOO SMALL) on the iOS app. i have font size set pretty big on the phone already and the ioS Notes works just fine. 

• Level 5

Why not ? 

I would expect them to design the app in a way that it reacts to the system text size setting. Many apps do, and EN does it as well, but for whatever reason not for the note text body.

Makes no sense for me - and notes should follow the rules of accessibility. Not all users may have perfect eyesight, or whatever.

For me this is a support issue, yes sir !

I am using the iPad app and the legacy desktop. My font size fix on the iPad is to start a note with "1{return}{return}1{return}" like this ...

I select all, set the font to 30--I have the 9.7 inch--and put my new content between the 1s. The font stays large between the 1s, but can revert to the small default font after them if you edit later on the iPad.

On 10/24/2020 at 5:31 AM, PinkElephant said:

There is a solution in iOS settings, screen&brightness, text size. Behind it is a slider. If you move it to larger, text in all apps that support dynamic text size will enlarge (not only in EN). It works for the v10-app, and your can adapt it in several steps until it suits your need.

This certainly doesn't work for me. I'm at version 10.13. 

Here is my display setting: 

02861B39-3976-4B4C-BA9A-73571544C2FD.thumb.png.f54b9553de9d586cace7c02e0bf5d220.png

And here is a new note:

0E87DCDE-1584-4ABB-B4DD-A1B397447376.thumb.png.85469e9612a6d7a3ef69dd059b563358.png

Aa you can see, I have my display zoomed in to about 55-60%, yet the font within EN is still (exactly) equivalent to having the zoom set to 0%.

I have vision issues (obviously ) and the ability to set a default font would make using EN ***so*** much easier for me. I wish it worked for me as you described. 

Evernote should support Dynamic Text, but since it is not a native iOS app, that may not be possible. The only real solution is to allow users to set a default font size. They didn’t implement this pre-v10, so I am not optimistic it will happen anytime soon.

A workaround is to create a note, set the font to whatever size you want, and save it as a template. Then when you create a note, start with the template. But this will take a couple of taps. When you create the template, it must contain something - I hit return a couple of times, then move the cursor back to the top of the note. This seems to work.

I found pinch zoom and single fingertip scrolling works for me. If they add a default font setting I will use it.

I tried a template method but at times the font would reset to the small default font.

• Level 5

The problem with feedback is that it will be recorded, but you don't get an answer.

Only support tickets will be answered.

Can't issue a ticket myself, I don't have the problem. My font size is a good balance between using the screen and readability. So my activity protocol would probably not show something that those with the issue could show.