Adding a tag is too complicated

Alvin C

Idea

I have tried adding tags when adding new note, the experience is so painful.

In the past (v8.24.6 or before), adding tags is easy and convenient. When you type a keyword, the app will show you similar tags for you to choose. If you want to add an entirely new one, you can just type the whole word to create it. That's it.

But now things are confusing. First I have to search (Find tags) if there are tags I have created before. If not, tap "New tag". 

The weird thing is that, when I create a new tag, there is a list of similar tags showing me. How about if I change my mind choosing those existing tags? You can't tap them, and instead you have to tap "Cancel" going back to the previous page and "Find tags" again.

What don't you maintain the best old iOS way rather than showing something so-called new and improved?

• Thanks 1

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Alvin C said:

What don't you maintain the best old iOS way rather than showing something so-called new and improved?

imho The tag experience is greatly improved    
- We now have access to tag hierarchy     
- I rarely add new tags, but the old method of just typing led to many accidental additions    
  I like the confirmation step

• Level 5

I don’t understand the description:

When I hit the „Add tag“ symbol, it shows my tags. If I now hit „Create new tag“ I can type the new tag.

It shows similar ones, but it does not stop me to add what I want.

Maybe Tag hierarchy is a bit tight on the small iPhone screen. But IMHO they found a good compromise between the old 1-dimensional tags on iOS (hidden in settings) and including hierarchy.

Since the old iOS tags did not support hierarchy, I was a bit sloppy to implement it all through my tags. Have some work to do now to set it up completely and take advantage of the new nesting possibilities.

Adding a tag to a note is too complicated.

(1) Tap on the tag icon in the upper right corner.

(2) Enter the tag under "Find keywords".

(3) Tap on the corresponding keyword.

(4) Type "Done".

This is such an incredible waste of time. Why can't I type right where the tags are displayed? And why have i press „Done“? Please develop a more simple solution!

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Sorry, you copy your post about they would not try, but you seem not to try yourself:

1. One click on the tag-symbol opens the tag selection.
  2. Right on top of it is a search field. When you start to enter something here, all tags that contain the string will be displayed. This means even when the string is not at the start, but somewhere in the middle the tag will be shown. This is important for all those users who use composite tags to follow their nesting logic. 
  3. One tap on the selection list, and the tag is applied.
  4. If the word you typed into the search is not found, it is displayed, and you can convert it right away into a new tag.

If you want to do it by the tag list itself, you can look up the tag, and apply it. I really like that EN now supports a nested hierarchy of tags, for the first time with iOS. This is one of the big plus-Features of the new client.

P.S. Typing right into the tags field is no good idea. It would be too easy to create a tag when you really just wanted to write INTO the note itself.

I do not agree. And: I have tried it very intensively. I only work with the Ipad and not with a Mac. And for my daily workflow it is so very cumbersome. No, it wouldn't be too easy if you would type in the field in the upper right corner where the tags are. That's how it was on the Mac. And it worked well.

• Thanks 1