Global keyboard shortcuts.

avevers

Idea

No global keyboard shortcuts (and the global clipper gone). Of all the removed features, this is the biggest deal breaker for me. Is this coming back?

Also, while I am here:

Restricted font choice. Not great.
"Top list" view gone.  Deal breaker for me.
Control + Q gone. Impacts workflow severely.
Preferences - I tweaked the heck out of these. All gone. I closed down Evernote and restarted it in the hope it might have more than there is in terms of preference's. Nope.

Right clicking on a notebook. Note count.

Was this feature cull ever communicated before the launch? Or is this a soft launch with the aim to restore future features?

How long can we use 6.25.1.9091?

Paid, loyal user for over 10 years. First time to ever complain.

• Like 4

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, avevers said:

is this a soft launch with the aim to restore future features

Basically yes,  though users have been set up to believe this would be the 'wonder app' that would answer all our feature requests.  What we got was a box with nice pictures on the outside that turns out to be a wooden toy missing a wheel. 

If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest (re)installing the legacy version and using that where v10 isn't yet ready. Install an older version of EvernoteInstall an older version of Evernote

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, avevers said:

Or is this a soft launch with the aim to restore future features?

Yes, but there's no guarantee on feature restoration, or timeline

>>How long can we use 6.25.1.9091?

There's no guarantee of future support   
I estimate 1-2 years use for legacy versions

• Like 1

I'm back on 6.25.1.9091 just now, less than one hour of exploring v10.

Thank goodness for 6.25.1.9091.

But I will be checking back on these forums each month to see if there are any improvement. Right now I have to start to consider alternatives, because I can't see Evernote allowing us to use 6.25.1.9091 forever and I fear these features will never return. Fear might be a strong word, but it's part of my daily life, this. I've over 20,000 notes. 12 years paid. This will be some migration, if it's possible at all.

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, avevers said:

This will be some migration, if it's possible at all.

If I ever leave Evernote (and they're sorely testing my patience at the moment...) I'd be hauling 52,000 notes behind me.  I had one go at letting another app try to import the database when it was 'only' 40K notes which took weeks and failed horribly,  so I think I'd just downgrade my account to Basic and make new notes elsewhere.  Where I have notes in Evernote that I need to edit or keep close in the future,  I'd export those notes and convert them on a case by case basis if and when they're needed...

• Like 1

I would probably tackle it the same way @gazumped. We've probably all got macro utilities which we could employ to convert notes into pdf, but the logistics of it all (preserving tags, locations, handling embedded attachments, encrypted portions) would make it much tougher. 

Ideally Evernote will restore these missing features, but given that this v10 looks like a Windows shell over an embedded web UI, I doubt it. The devs likely want that "iframe consistency" across all platforms, so OS-level differences might be off the roadmap. I'd love to be wrong. I love Evernote and I embrace technological change, but this is a change too far.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
On 10/11/2020 at 10:53 AM, avevers said:

The devs likely want that "iframe consistency" across all platforms, so OS-level differences might be off the roadmap. I'd love to be wrong.

That's my fear as well. Evidently the philosophy would be "An app that fails to work but does so identically across all platforms is better than an app that works better for different purposes on different platforms." It seems to me that the purpose of a cross-platform app should be to provide a similar experience on each platform, but take advantage of what each platform does best. My phone is great for snapping pictures and recording voice. My Windows desktop has a mouse and a better keyboard. Evernote has, in the past, been able to use these differences to advantage. This way of doing the Great Big Upgrade seems to abandon that approach. I hope, I hope, I hope that we are wrong about this.

Me too @Dave-in-Decatur. I don't think the roadmap is transparent enough. As an Android user, I'm used to having to research and switch apps which ceased being supported or became abandonware. But this? Without being forewarned? Very poor. 

The relief I had when 6.25.1.9091 worked. I remapped the global keyboard shortcuts and I was off again.

I think I'll be spending some time researching alternatives now. I'll watch v10's progress over the next few months with interest.

• Like 1