“Find In Note” won’t work in my old notes in IOS Version 10.0

Searching a note with "Find in note" seems to highlight the word searched as expected. When selecting the ">" sign at the top of the screen moves through successive occurrences of the word with a blue highlight, again as expected. However in some notes it does not move the move the screen view to the new highlight, leaving it on the initial view and requiring manual moving of the note to look for the new highlight. In some notes it moves the screen view and in others it doesn't.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I am having this problem as of updating to iPad iOS 14 and then updating Evernote. I copy out excerpts from books and thus have fairly long notes; since there's no easy way to scroll to the end of a note, I put something like "XXX" at the end of the note, so I can search for it in order to scroll to the bottom of the note. This no longer works, which is rather frustrating! This is also true for shorter notes when I search for content within them.

I downloaded Version 10.0. IOS / iPhone 7 plus.  

I rely on & use “Find in note” feature a lot.  I put hashtags within my notes & use those hashtags as deliberate parameters for my “Find in note” & that worked extremely well for me in the older versions.  “Find In Note” is a very important feature for me.

In the Version 10.0, i cannot get the “Find in note” to work in my old notes.  The search results in 0 finds.
My hashtag parameters DO WORK in “Find In Note” & are Found in my newly created notes in Version 10.0.

even when editing / inserting a “new” hashtag parameter in my OLD notes, the “Find in note” function does not work.  It shows 0 results. 

I stopped using TAGS a few years ago because tags are cumbersome for me. My self-created hashtag search method in my notes works extremely well for me - or at least it did work perfectly well for me until after updating to the 10.0 IOS Version.

Any suggestions regarding getting Version 10.0  “FIND in notes” to work in pre V10.0 notes?  

Thank You

EDIT:  Change from “search in note” TO “Find In Note.”

Edited by kate0508
Change from Search in note to Find in note

Thanks for the update on resolving bugs.   I can’t live without Evernote!  I’ve been a member since 2014 & I have approx 12,000 notes

I updated on Friday, 10-02-20, version 10.0.3.  The new features are awesome.  The missing features are devastating for me.  My husband has his own separate Evernote account, not updated & I had to add data into his acct yesterday.  It reminded me of just how much productivity I lost by updating my Evernote to 10.  I regret updating to version 10.

again, the new features are awesome.  I predominantly & almost exclusively use my IOS iPhone 7 Plus for using Evernote.  It works perfect for me.  

what I’m missing because of the update to version 10:

1)  Printing ability.  I have a paid monthly subscription to Adobe & via the IOS print function in Evernote before the update, I was able to PRINT and/or make an Adobe PDF of my notes.  I can’t do this on the version 10 update.  I found a tedious work around for printing but it’s wonky & I can’t make PDFs of my notes.

2)  “”Find In Notes”  I don’t use tags.  They’re cumbersome & hit & miss for me.  Again, I have almost 12,000 important to me notes.  I deliberately inject hashtags within my notes in strategic placements within my notes & this technique works perfectly for me in “Find in Notes”  or  Find in ALL Notes/SEARCH.  Since the version 10 update, the Find in Note or Find in ALL notes does not work = no search results.  Maybe user error - but I’ve tried every way I can to get the SEARCH to work without success.  I did get the Find In Note / SEARCH to work one or two times in newly created notes in version 10, but then when I tried again, that didn’t work & hasn’t worked since.

PRINT /ADOBE PDF & Find In Note / Search are extremely important for me & I’m not sure if I can do without those features.

I have faith that these bugs will be worked out & I’ll hang on.  And, I like the new features in version 10.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, kate0508 said:

2)  “”Find In Notes”  I don’t use tags.  They’re cumbersome & hit & miss for me.  Again, I have almost 12,000 important to me notes.  I deliberately inject hashtags within my notes in strategic placements within my notes & this technique works perfectly for me in “Find in Notes”  or  Find in ALL Notes/SEARCH.  

What are you using for your own "DIY" hashtags?  Are you using special characters to create these hashtags?  That could very well cause the problems.
I use what I call "z-words" - which keeps my context hashtags all alpha based - example:   zcovid19,   zfitness, zinjury, etc 

It's working well for me - I've got about 48,000 notes and not having any search problems on iOS 10.0.3.   If you're using special characters like the hashtag/pound sign - maybe try a different leader character to see if it solves your problem.   I use my tag system for 'cross platform' compatibility - hence why I stick with the 'z' prefix and no special characters at all - since different platforms can behave differently with searches.

I have a short video on it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ceYH18efJM

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, kate0508 said:

I did get the Find In Note / SEARCH to work one or two times in newly created notes in version 10, but then when I tried again, that didn’t work & hasn’t worked since.

I merged these posts with an ongoing discussion
The missing print option has been posted as a feature request here

Find-in-Note has been mentioned, but I'm not having a problem with it   

btw @ej8899   Special characters are a problem with the Search-Notes/text feature   
                            but work well in Find-in-Note or Search-Tags
                            I prefix my tagnames with a special character

• Like 1
14 hours ago, ej8899 said:

What are you using for your own "DIY" hashtags?  Are you using special characters to create these hashtags?  That could very well cause the problems.
I use what I call "z-words" - which keeps my context hashtags all alpha based - example:   zcovid19,   zfitness, zinjury, etc 

It's working well for me - I've got about 48,000 notes and not having any search problems on iOS 10.0.3.   If you're using special characters like the hashtag/pound sign - maybe try a different leader character to see if it solves your problem.   I use my tag system for 'cross platform' compatibility - hence why I stick with the 'z' prefix and no special characters at all - since different platforms can behave differently with searches.

I’m new to EN forums & not sure I’m replying correctly.  I’m 7 year EN premium member & have almost 12,000 notes.  I watched your video & feel your technique will work for me.  I will be following your YouTube.  Thank you for sharing.

15 hours ago, ej8899 said:

So, I implemented ej8899’s method of inserting zKeyWords into a couple of new notes in the version 10.03.  What I experienced:

1.  The zKeyword does show up when doing a “SEARCH” of ALL NOTES (vs IN NOTE) via the magnifying glass.

2.  “Find In Note” :  Most Important For Me:  the zKeyWord DOES NOT register as a FIND in a specific note - it generates 0 results.  I use Find IN Note a lot & it’s extremely important for me.  Maybe I’m at fault & not doing something right?  User Error?

I do want to stress that I like the new features in version 10.0.3 .  It’s just that I need to be able to PRINT / create Adobe PDF’s & it’s extremely important for me to be able to use “Find IN Note” preferably with my system of #keyword because I have approx 12,000 notes formatted with using the #keyword .

Thanks

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, kate0508 said:

Since the version 10 update, the Find in Note or Find in ALL notes does not work = no search results.

Does the search work on the web version?

Not sure.  I use my iPhone 7 plus version 14 IOS exclusively.   Forgive my ignorance.  When you say website, does that mean I go to EN from my Safari Browser & work from there?  & see if Find in Note works?  Guess I should have tried before posting this.  I’ll try now.  Thank you for your suggestion.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, kate0508 said:

Not sure.  I use my iPhone 7 plus version 14 IOS exclusively.   Forgive my ignorance.  When you say website, does that mean I go to EN from my Safari Browser & work from there?  & see if Find in Note works?  Guess I should have tried before posting this.  I’ll try now.  Thank you for your suggestion.

If you have a Mac use the Safari browser on it.  Go to evernote.com and sign in.  You should see all your notebooks and notes.  Try the searches that aren't working and see what happens.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge.  I’m able to find my way around without *edit* KNOWING what I’m doing.  :)

I don’t have MAC.  I use my iphone 7 plus IOS.  I went to Safari on my iphone & went to EN account.  All I could access was my account info.  I did click ⬇️ See below but did not take me to my noteboks.

2F850C48-1BCB-455A-B40F-685EBE999AA9.jpeg

Edited by kate0508
mistake

I do have an out dated (windows 7 maybe) PC that is not updated to EN 10.3.  My PC is not updated for all updates unrelated to EN. My laptop is maybe XP?  .  I rarely use my laptop because it .......is a pain.  My iphone works best for me.  I use EN APP on my iphone.

10-06-20:  I was able to use “FIND IN NOTE” in my newly created version 10.3 note & it did recognize #keyword & zkeyword.    BUT, I had same success on Saturday & then it stopped working in new note.

“Find in Note” absolutely does not work in my BEFORE 10 UPDATE NOTES, using zkeyword or #keyword.  I need that to work in *edit* MY 12,000 more or less old notes.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, kate0508 said:

10-06-20:  I was able to use “FIND IN NOTE” in my newly created version 10.3 note & it did recognize #keyword & zkeyword.    BUT, I had same success on Saturday & then it stopped working in new note.

“Find in Note” absolutely does not work in my BEFORE 10 UPDATE NOTES, using zkeyword or #keyword.  I need that to work in *edit* MY 12,000 more or less old notes.

zkeyword is fine.  #keyword will not work, the # is not indexed, it becomes a space in EN's eyes.  The only special character that EN indexes is the underscore, _.  The underscore works well as a prefix to eliminate any "false positives".  False positives because of the keyword itself appearing in search results.

1. _cat will only return notes with _cat
  2. cat  on the other hand will return notes with _cat and cat.. .  

This may have something to do with your searches not working, but they shouldn't have worked before either.  PITA I know, but anywhere you have #keyword replace it with _keyword or some unique character prefix.  I am a tagger full on.  Though I do use _ for a couple of things, _Paid and _Completed which make searching for paid and completed things all the easier.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

zkeyword is fine.  #keyword will not work, the # is not indexed, it becomes a space in EN's eyes.  The only special character that EN indexes is the underscore, _. 

True for Search-Notes
Not True for Find-In-NoteIMG_3784.thumb.jpeg.4e5ade7b1f9b0ac69d329eb1c00eb528.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, kate0508 said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  It didn’t work.  And Even if it did work, it would be time consuming to add new _keywords to 12,000 old notes. Thanks

348759B4-4E93-4EF0-B7EA-0A380F25F992.jpeg

Well it is working for me with _Paid and _Completed.  Hard to tell is there a space between the _ and the xxx at the bottom of the screen?  Relative to changing out your # prefixes you are right no need if the keywords are unique enough.  Any other failing samples you can clip?

• Like 1

In an old note created 9-9-20 BEFORE 10.3 Update:  10-6-20, I added new keywords:   _xxx, #bills.  
1.  I performed a Find IN note using the keywords created today

2.  When performing the Find In Note, the newly added keywords became Highlighted, but the search result was 0 & I could not move to keyword.

3.  When performing Find In Note using my 08-09-20 #keywords —- did not highlight or jump to #keyword

F61FDB1F-5479-4D1B-9DBE-5DF29BC43422.jpeg

9DAA1BC6-9E49-44E5-AC11-1123FB2BA946.jpeg

EAD9DB39-A738-453F-A6A9-349DDF6DA8B8.jpeg

• Level 5*

I just tried and it worked.  I added xxbills to an existing note.  Did you let the note sync before trying the search?  The new version takes longer to index. Other than that I don’t  know. 

1605176498_PNGimage.png.865913ed4d33cce4c2f1524e4761843c.png

• Like 1

I truly appreciate your help.  Wednesday AM:  10-07-20:  Find IN Note still does not work for me.  When performing Find In Note, results same as last night.  I manually synced.  Weird how when I perform a Find in notes, results highlight the newly created “keyword” but shows 0 results.  none of my old keywords highlight.  :(  I use my iPhone 7 Plus & recently updated to version 14 & the Evernote version 10.0.03.  Updated iphone & Evernote at the same time.  

I acknowledge that it’s possible my inability to get Find IN Note to work for me might be “user error” & someday I’ll discover my error & all will be well. :) 

Or maybe Evernote will have an upgrade that repairs.  :) 

I’m considering upgrading to iPhone XR or maybe the new 12 when it's released.   126 or 256 gb.  Maybe.  Maybe not.  My 7 plus has cracked screen.  I’ve had it for 3 or 4 years. Otherwise it works fine.

I appreciate your time & efforts with helpung me.   Thanks.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, kate0508 said:

I truly appreciate your help.  Wednesday AM:  10-07-20:  Find IN Note still does not work for me.  When performing Find In Note, results same as last night.  I manually synced.  Weird how when I perform a Find in notes, results highlight the newly created “keyword” but shows 0 results.  none of my old keywords highlight.  :(  I use my iPhone 7 Plus & recently updated to version 14 & the Evernote version 10.0.03.  Updated iphone & Evernote at the same time.  

I acknowledge that it’s possible my inability to get Find IN Note to work for me might be “user error” & someday I’ll discover my error & all will be well. :) 

Or maybe Evernote will have an upgrade that repairs.  :) 

I’m considering upgrading to iPhone XR or maybe the new 12 when it's released.   126 or 256 gb.  Maybe.  Maybe not.  My 7 plus has cracked screen.  I’ve had it for 3 or 4 years. Otherwise it works fine.

I appreciate your time & efforts with helpung me.   Thanks.

You are welcome.  Hopefully you determine what the issue is. 

Don't think it has anything to do with your phone.  I just upgraded from a 6S to an 11 SE.  The 6S just died.  Call me old school but I like the smaller screens....