Removing A Paid App Feature Is Not Good Business

Pastor Patrick

Idea

Years ago I bought Penultimate because I could import PDFs and mark them. Now I try to use an app I OWN and I find someone has disabled features that I bought and paid for. Either bring them back or refund my purchase price anything less would be criminal. 

I doubt you'll have the decency to post or respond. But that will speak volumes as well. 

I hope Im wrong and your company has a moral compass. 

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Hi, Patrick, and welcome to the forums. These are user-to-user forums; Evernote staff may look in, but they don't usually comment on posts here. So you're only addressing us humble fellow-users.

My take would be that a subscription is not the same as a purchase. An annual fee gets you what the company decides to do for the coming year, and if it ceases to be useful, you can always cancel the subscription and get a refund for the remaining months. Again, I'm just a fellow-user.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Pastor Patrick said:

Years ago I bought Penultimate because I could import PDFs and mark them.

I use the Notability app for annotating pdfs 

>>Now I try to use an app I OWN and I find someone has disabled features that I bought and paid for.

Which specific features?

>>refund my purchase price anything less would be criminal. 

Evernote software is provided at no charge; there is no purchase price

• Like 1
  • Level 5

How does it always say in the fine print: Technical changes may be effected without further notice. Legally nearly all software we use is not really purchased, what you and I buy is a license to use a piece of software. So we pay for the use, not for the software itself.

It is pretty standard that with a new release we get additional functions. Most of the time, the price stays the same, and nobody complains. Now we have the opposite: A new release, a major one, and EN has taken away some functions. They say „initially“, but who knows.

I am not happy about the reduced pdf function as well. 

But it is not true that you can’t annotate pdfs any longer. Here is how:

• Open the note with the pdf.
  • Tap on the blue edit button at the bottom of the screen. If it is not visible, tap on the note once somewhere, then it should show.
  • Now tap on the pdf file symbol inside of the note. After a short wait, above the soft keyboard 3 more symbols will appear: An „a“ in a circle, a down arrow and 3 dots. There are functions behind all of them (just explore), but now tap on the a-in-a-circle.
  • The pdf file will open in annotate mode, the Tools and the Color selector will show in the bottom corners of the screen. You can annotate the pdf. When done tap on „Done“ (or however it is called in English), and you leave the pdf. To make sure your annotations will save, leave the note as well. A green triangle should now show that the note is syncing to the server. If not, pull the notes list down and let it go, to initiate a sync.
  • Wait until the sync is done before moving on to the next note.

It is not working totally smooth, I have for example the screen flashing when enabling annotation mode (more visible in dark mode than during the day). But it does the job.